One little find on Vidura's behavior...

Discussion in 'Gentle guidance' started by SweetnSour, Nov 2, 2006.

1. SweetnSour

SweetnSour Bringing Happy back :D

So as I posted he's been acting like a ... I don't even have a word for that.
    Violent, mean, almost crazy.

It's been getting a lot worse since 2-3 weeks.

Well, last night I tried to figure out what changed in those 2-3 weeks.

1- he started preschool (just got a call that she's kicking him out because she can't handle him, so that's not an issue anymore)

2- I've been putting him in the bath every morning so I can have feeding and playing time with baby without him feeling left out.

He stays in the bath for at least 30 minutes, playing with toys, etc. Sometimes he stays an hour or more, he loves it.

So this morning I decided to look at the bubble bath (dh bought it when he was out with him 2-3 weeks ago). It has Red40 in it.

That explains a lot. Vidura goes litteraly crazy when he eats or drinks anything with Red40. Well he's been absorbing it through his skin every single day for the past 2-3 weeks :( No wonder.

I just threw it out and will go to the HFS to get him some nice relaxing oatmeal/lavender bubble bath.

Will update next week after a week or so of nice bubble bath and no preschool.

We had an awful day with him yesterday, even dh who is the most tolerant and patient guy I know was talking of psychiatric hospital for Vidura :( He was totally crazy last night.

I feel a bit better today, baby slept 8 1/2 hours last night and Vidura is peacefully eating a snack.

Ys,
    Radhanuga
  2. juliec

juliec Vote for Pedro

:hug: I'm glad you have something to go on now. Hoping that was the issue and that peace will be in your home soon.
  3. Korwynne

Korwynne Mama of Miracles

oh man.. don't you hate those moments when you discover something like that?

I hope things become more peaceful for you soon.
  4. mamajandtheboys

mamajandtheboys Amity's Focus Member

:hug: oh i hope v starts feeling better soon ~ so glad you are feeling better today. a good night's sleep always helps!!
  5. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

Oh wow. Good thing you discovered that! :hug: I hope it helps. Please keep us updated.
  6. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Active Member

great sleuthing! I hope that he gets better now
  7. tarablesue

tarablesue ~PeAce~

Oh I am glad you found part of the answer, hopefully. And happy to hear you had a good nights rest. Hugs to you all. :hug:
  8. Liba

Liba davening mama

Ugh. Red dye makes me so ill. It is nasty stuff. I almost ended up in the hospital for rehydration one pregnancy because I was drinking powdered iced tea that had it in there and I had no idea.

I am so glad you figured it out and hope that Vidura feel better quickly and you have some peace in your house again.
  9. Astoria

Astoria New Member

Lavender eo can be a lot for a child to take in. My suggestion for calming a child is to get chamomile natural bubbles. California Baby chamomile is really good. (It's not cheap, but I find it makes a huge difference for Caleb.) Also using unscented and putting (seriously) chamomile tea bags in a sock or something works great.

On Lavender eo and its possible effects see this article from the New York Times:
    " In Boston at the annual Endocrine Society meeting in June, Clifford Bloch of the University of Colorado School of Medicine presented several cases of young men who had developed marked breast enlargement from using shampoos containing lavender and tea tree oils, which are widely used essential oil additives that present no problem for adults. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/science/17puberty.html?ex=1162616400&en=32571ee2e72983b4&ei=5070
  10. Erica

Erica Amity's Focus Member

Wow! Good for you for doing detective work! You're a great mama! I, too, hope it helps him...keep us updated. Hugs!
  11. LuAnn

LuAnn usually not home

12. MammaMel

MammaMel Active Member

I hope that's it! Good job. :hug:
  13. lassie

lassie Happy Potty

Oh no wonder! See there, you are a great mama! I know red 40 makes W. bizarro.

I bet he'll be a different kid in a week. HUGS for you and your family.
    Oh and epsom salts works well for W. in the bath on occasion.
  14. Tara62

Tara62 New Member

Wow, what good mama detecting! I never would have figured that out. I really hope things take a turn for the better!
  15. lovencloth

lovencloth Amity's Focus Member

Glad you found it! I am sure it was a relief for you that there was nothing "wrong" with him. It will go away and he will be himsself again. :hug:
  16. thrillhouse

how are things going so far today?
  17. Glitterbeam

Glitterbeam Expelliarmus!

Wow! I'm glad you figured that out. I hope it makes a big difference!
  18. xt

xt Active Member

Red's rough on Patrick, too.
  19. SweetnSour

SweetnSour Bringing Happy back :D

amazingly he's much better today.
    now if he could start sleeping 8 hours instead of 6...
  20. thrillhouse

a tiny bit of melatonin (0.25 millilitre) works wonders for our 3 yo. he sleeps more soundly and for a longer time. he also goes to bed at an appropriate time for a preschooler, 7:30 usually. we give him his melatonin in some juice at 6:30 or so and he's begging to go to bed about an hour later at most.