Okay, gotta ask why AIO's are made NOTHING like they used to be!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by crosseyedtoad, Apr 7, 2005.

1. crosseyedtoad

crosseyedtoad Our twins are "3" already

I have gotten several diapers that are considered AIO's. BUT, back several years ago, these would have been considered a diaper cover with a doubler.

They have a PUL outer (somtimes PUL and a print on top) no inner (what used to be called an internal soaker) and a layer of microfleece inside, So, basically microfleece inside, PUL outer. Then a doubler, and I don't mean a nice big one. Just a normal sized doubler. I have gotten several like this from several different WAHM's.

I can't see how these will work, to me it is like putting a doubler inside a Fuzzibunz (not the pocket). Can anyone tell me if these will work for boys? Seems to me like they will just pee out of them.
    Another ? Why are so many standard diapers made with no internal soaker, just a doubler period. Gosh, it used to be that they came with both, and I always ordered both.

Okay, please enlighten me. :)
  2. RebeckaK

RebeckaK Nose Picker

I think they are made this way to aid in cleaning. But I am with you, i wish they had a small soaker inner and a snap in soaker as well. My baby is peeing through ALL her AIOs and I am frustrated about. BTW, don't you dare stress yourself over diapers lol. They will at least work on tiny newborn pee. I have been keeping you and your wee one's in my prayers Jen, take care.
  3. littleturtle

littleturtle Finding my Inner Knitter

baking a happiness cake with the ingredients I alr
    yeah, I've noticed that too, and the only reason I can think of is becuase the *hyenas* at MDC and the like really seem to be fixaed on "trim" right now, so that's what the WAHMs are after. The few I've gotten like that I'ce had to add several doublers to to make them functional for even just a short while in daytime. For the regular fitteds with snap in soaker, again it's trimness, but also makes them quick dry, so they don't have to go through the dryer forever. But a lot of the snap in's seem flimsy to me. I miss my old molly togs, which have since gone to diaper heaven, but they has super-dee-duper thick soakers that snapped in and they ROCKED.

FWIW, I've recently gotten some really nice diapers (trim but absorbent) and cute from the mama at http://www.bubblebums.ca
  4. crosseyedtoad

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, Mollytogs!

Now those were super diapers. I just listed a few on my FSOT because they were girly. I did get some really nice, thick absorbent ones from Tykies diapers, but, they are pretty pricey. I must say, they are the nicest made diapers I have EVER seen though.

I mean trimness is good, but, that trim, i'd rather have a bulkier butt with dry clothes than a trim wet butt!

And Rebecka. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see your wee one!
  5. milkmaid

milkmaid Smocking my heart out!

Ah....old diapers...I remember my first Jenny-O--anyone still have some of those? Or Poochies?
  6. crosseyedtoad

I LOVE those too!

I only bought Poochies when Jennifer S. made them. And Jenny Oh's, I actually got the VERY last order she ever made when Lauren was tiny. I had about 2 dozen of each. I put some of the girly ones for sale too, but have more I need to list. I loved the trim fit Jenny Oh's the best! I wish some WAHM would make some JUST like those. Maybe that is my hint to start sewing again!
  7. anikasmama

anikasmama Toot Sweet!

I think it has to do a lot with drying time too. Internal soakers can take a lobg time to dry whereas external ones dry much quicker. IME, internals take 1.5-2 dryer cycles while externals are done in one.

Ones with external soakers are often called quick-dry, etc.
  8. ZandLsMom

ZandLsMom New Member

I changed my diapers from internal soakers to snap in soakers because that's what the demand seemed to be. I like internal soakers better myself, but I also like windpro outters better even though they aren't cute prints.

I have some issues with my super thick soakers in the snap in diapers, but not if I change them every 2 hours. Plus, they are getting older now, and I don't have a huge stash. My soakers are all tri fold, so you get 3 layers of BKT and 3 of micro. When they were new new, they were PERFECT on my boy! I wash in DWR or spray it on now and then to help. I also suspect that I may have gotten one of the batches of PUL from a certain co-op that is 1mil but was sold as 2mil.

I wanted to have the store back open this week, but it didn't happen.

Sorry :(

Maybe you all can post pictures of your favorite diapers and someone can help by making adjustments and such to make a GREAT diaper! I have no idea what a Jenny Oh, a Poochies or a Molly Togs looks like.
  9. Scarlet

Scarlet Amity's Focus Member

Those are covers with snap in diapers! Although having had a light wetter I can see the attraction -- quick drying, non bulky. I wouldn't call them AIOs though because they aren't in one!
  10. lildevil77

lildevil77 New Member

I don’t know what those other diapers looked like when my older two were little I just used prefolds and rubber pants. I though it was amazing when I got a some dappi like covers lol I had some what I would consider true aios with dd2 no doublers to lay in or snap in. To me that is a true aio, pull out of the dryer and put on, no fussing with anything. My dogs have a gross but serious love of poopy diapers lol They wouldn’t chew it apart but put little rips in it, still useable till they shredded with washings but embarrassing to use in public lol They finally got one of the aio’s I had bought from someone else (just saying I don’t know that I did it or I got it like this) I washed it and noticed some yuck still on there, so I just threw it back in. Next time I went to put it on her I noticed it was still there, since I line dry most of the time I couldn’t imagine it was a stain, looked at it closer and it was mold stains, ripped it apart and it was covered in old mold stains. I knew it and others like it, took a long time to dry so I would always feel, what I thought was really good, to make sure they were dry. I got some bleach from my mom and soaked them to make sure there was no live mold but it still grosses me out thinking I could have been putting a moldy diaper on her. Anyway that is why I won’t buy them anymore. If I saw one I really liked I might but would be really careful drying it and I don’t need the extra worry. I do like an aio with a few layers covering the entire diaper, like you said otherwise miss the soaker and you have pee everywhere but with a snap or attached at the top soaker. The soakers that are stiched on are my fav because they have that true aio feeling no mess or fuss with anything and plus I can't loose it lol
  11. MommytoTommy

MommytoTommy Active Member

Very Baby makes a true AIO and they work great.
  12. crosseyedtoad

A few more responses.............

I am pretty certain posting pictures of those diapers won't help alot, mainly because it is how they fit, absorb that makes them so awesome. I can understand a QD diaper, but, I personally again, would rather have a more absorbent diaper, especially since I line dry my diapers anyway, even in winter I hang them in my laundry room, then pop them in the dryer just to soften them up.

Boy, alot has changed in diapers in the last 3 years. Back then, absorbncy was the main thing, not trimness, although there were many diapers that were both absorbent and trim. I still am getting some diapers that are good, and, like I said the thickest most absorbent I found were the Tykies, but, they are still trim.

So, what I need to look out for, or ask for is if they have a doubler, as well as internal soaker, I assume. Because, I am not just getting AIO's without internal soakers, but diapers without them as well. What amazes me as I can tell these are easier to make, and cost less, but, the prices are higher than they used to be. MUCH higher, I would say.

So, for those of you who like the thicker (trimmer when possible) diapers with internal soakers and external soakers (or as we used to call them---doublers) what are the best ones now. I always loved diapers with internal soakers and a snap in doubler. I KNOW boys are going to pee alot different than Lauren, and I want to make certain I have the most absorbent diapers, not the quickest drying. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Edited to add. I don't actually prefer AIO's, a great absorbent diaper and cover were always my personal favorites!
  13. TheDoodysMom

TheDoodysMom Member

14. veghmschlmommy

veghmschlmommy New Member

ITA!!! I have wondered the same thing you are asking. My pet peeve is the wool-in-one. This is just a wool cover with a diaper that snaps in. I don't get it! I should add- the wool in ones I have seen are gorgeous and I don't want to disparage a WAHM who makes these. It's simply the name that irks me, not the actual diaper! :lol:

christie
  15. crosseyedtoad

Exactly, and............

Obviously there must be a market for them, or the WAHM's would not make them. But to me, they are like a cover with a doubler in them. Not even as absorbent as a true diaper and cover.

So, hopefully some WAHMs will realize there are still some of us that want a true diaper like what used to be made huh!

Keep on posting Mama's. I love all the responses. It is really helping me realize I am not alone!

So, do you all remember when an AIO was made this way
    Pul, or PUL and knit(other outer) internal soaker, and snap in doubler. And they actually worked!
  16. ThreeSuns

ThreeSuns Amity's Focus Member

I love my Lucy's Hope Chest because they are quick dry and great soakers
  17. kadidia

kadidia Diaper Making Mama

I started making everything in the quick dry style because I live in CA and energy is SO EXPENSIVE!!! I live in the valley and nothing dries during the winter...it all has to be machine dried. Internal soaker AIOs would take 2 hours in our machine. I also noticed that the internal AIOs leaked a whole lot more than the quick drying AIOs...so I stuck with that. Different strokes for different folks :0)

Also, my AIOs are a lot beefier than most...I don't use a skinny doubler insert...mine is hourglass shaped and has 6 layers of hemp fleece...not skimpy at all. There are lots of diapering choices these days...and I think that the diapers made today are SO MUCH better than the ones I used to buy Emma 5 years ago.
  18. Gypsylily

Gypsylily Guest

My son is 5, and I remember Jenny-oh's, Elkebella (sp?), Toadies, Pumpkin Patch, Monkey Pants and Zippidys. :D
  19. myshiningstarz

myshiningstarz every soul a treasure

LOL! I think it's because WeePants is no longer in business!!! :D :D :D

Seriously though, I love my bunny hugs aio's. It's really all I use anymore... probably because they are made alot like the ones I used to sew. The soakers are snap in but they are very very absorbant... plus I can use prefolds inside the pul shell.

I never made any this way... IMO they never worked. LOL. I have one right now from Lukes Drawers I think that leaks all over the place. I have to use a cover over it.
  20. myshiningstarz

myshiningstarz every soul a treasure

Remember those pumpkin patch diapers that she made that sold for like $50-60? They were made in the shape/colors of fruits or something????.... I can't remember exactly but they were sooo cute! She made them when I first started cd'ing which would have been 5-6 years ago I think...