Ok, talk to me about prefolds!!

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by KaylieJayciesMom, Feb 26, 2009.

1. KaylieJayciesMom

KaylieJayciesMom Amity's Focus Member

Think I may not do fitteds this time around or possibly combine fitteds/prefolds. I'm wanting to cut down on drying time. :) So, what are the best pf's out there? CPFs? Indian? What's your opinion? TIA!!!
  2. luvmybabies

luvmybabies New Member

I have both chinese(bleached and unbleached) and indian unbleached pf's. My chinese are holding up really well but are not as soft as my indians. Some of my indians are getting snags from my snappis but are really soft.

I guess it is a toss up. If I wanted them to last through multiple children I would probably do unbleached chinese prefolds. But I have to say I love my unbleached indian prefolds much more than my chinese ones.

hth
  3. EMTonya

EMTonya learning....click...

i am not wise in the world of prefolds, but i do have some "pre-fitteds". they're prefolds that someone made into fitteds, adding elastic & snaps. i've offered them fs here. still have them. i think i have 12. if you're interested, i'd sell them to ya for $35ppd. i'm sure i still have a pic on here somewhere i'll dig up if you are interested.
  4. EMTonya

EMTonya learning....click...

oopsie! double post
  5. KaylieJayciesMom

Thanks mamas! Tonya, I am broke atm or I would buy the contours for sure! :)
  6. lissa~k

lissa~k New Member

I agree that unbleached indian prefolds are softer but not as durable as unbleached chinese ones. And I would go unbleached all the way, they are much softer than bleached, although they take a bit longer to prep. As for brand, I have heard that Little Lions are pretty nice and inexpensive, but for even better quality try Green Mountain Diapers. hth! :)
  7. Erica

Erica Amity's Focus Member

Unbleached Indian prefolds are the best IMO..but I use Thirsties AIOs and Fuzzibunz
  8. KaylieJayciesMom

Thanks mamas! Think I'm gonna go with a combo of the two to see what I like the best..but yes, definitely unbleached.
  9. EarthyBee

EarthyBee New Member

I totally agree. I have both brands and love them. That's what I use during the day with two in diapers.
  10. marcid

marcid New Member

I love prefolds - I use the unbleached. I am now having mine converted to fitted diapers. Tammy at Tinkle Traps does them and they are very reasonable as far as cost. She's got great reviews at Diaper Pin.com too. Good luck!
  11. fleacyt

fleacyt New Member

I bought unbleached prefolds, boiled them on the stove in hot water for 25-30 mins with a splash of organic dish washing liwuid (maybe 6-7 in a big pot at a time) and then hung them to dry and then plan on washing them in hot water no soap, they are really soft now though :)
  12. tracey

tracey no worries on my mind

A quick glance A big chance My heart beat like a d
    why in the world would you boil them? :peeper: i cloth diapered all three of my (now big) boys with unbleached CPF's and i *never* boiled them.

wait...i may have one time when someone had a yeast rash. that's ringing a bell for me somewhere in my head...but new ones? that's the most bizarre treatment of new diapers i've read.
  13. luvmybabies

luvmybabies New Member

I believe they fluff faster that way instead of multiple washings.
  14. lovencloth

lovencloth Amity's Focus Member

You are right, boiling them softens the fibers faster, you only have to wash them a couple of times before use that way. Same goes for hemp inserts, they work a lot faster if you boil them for a few min. first. :)