OK so what about getting rid of things that are not so perfect.....

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by artemis33, Jan 28, 2011.

1. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

I donate a lot of things. I sell some things as well. But what about the things that are not even quite worthy of donation (flawed, in some respect) but you don't want to see them in a landfill?

When I lived in the city this was easy...I just used Freecycle/Craigslist to give away everything! It worked very well. Leave random items on the porch in a bag and someone came to get them. Properly described, you can find a home for most anything.

Now I am in a more rural area where inviting someone to pick up something free is a much more personal affair. So now I have this dilemma....what do I do with these things?

Any ideas?
  2. xt

xt Active Member

If I were to freecycle a flawed item I would be very clear in my post and in my responses about its imperfections. And then if someone still wanted to drive over, woohoo.

For really ratty tshirts and stuff, I was cutting them up and using them for things like dog barf. Instead of newly manufactured paper towels. At least the shirt got one last hurrah that way. I have a stack right now waiting for a cloth TP project, but the leftover scraps will be in the dog barf pile.
  3. miraclemom

miraclemom Amity's Focus Member

LOL, I love the dog barf pile idea! I'd donate it to Goodwill and let them deal with it. Hahaha.
  4. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

I *think* the goodwill will take them. There's a thing where you buy rags by the box or bag or something. I might call and ask though.

For something like freecycle or craigslist you could always list them as material for crafts.
  5. artemis33

The dog barf thing is a good idea....I don't have a dog, but with 2 kids and a cat that hunts, plenty of gross things go down here.

I will certainly ask goodwill about rags. Some of these things aren't really the right fabric for rags, but maybe crafts.

The issue with freecycle isn't finding someone who will take things - I agree that properly described, they will still likely find a home - it is that now that I am in a more out of the way place, I don't want strangers knowing where I live. (wish we had a tinfoil hat smiley lol) If people weren't so flakey on freecycle I'd be willing to meet in town, but I could see that getting really frustrating if they didn't show.
  6. amcal

amcal New Member

Goodwill takes everything! They have partnerships with all sorts of companies to deal with any item that gets donated that isn't in good shape, broken etc.... They can sell things for parts, there are companies that recycle fabrics that they work with, broken electronics are used in their job training programs to teach electronic repair etc.....
  7. artemis33

Thank you, I didn't realize that about Goodwill. I will definitely confirm with the one nearest me (which is a 40 min drive, or I'd be there more often and probably already know this!).

Most of the thrift stores in our area have a stated policy about only wanting things in good, usable condition....it apparently burdens them to have to dispose of things they can't really sell. The things I am speaking of I wouldn't normally donate because of this (right now clothes with tears, broken zippers, stains....but other things around the house as well I am sure).
  8. lala

lala I make stuff

When I come across things that are not quite nice enough for the thrift stores, I donate tem to te local omeless selter/food bank. My neighbor got evicted and left a houseful of stuff, mostly dirty clothes, bedding, towels, etc....I called ahead and warned them everything needed a washing, and donated it all to the shelter. I gave them some laundry soap too, and they took everything. Most shelters will take stained clothing, mismatched socks, shoes beyond "good" condition...towels with rips in them could be given to the local animal shelter/SPCA.
  9. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

You can't give to shelters here. You either have to know someone who knows someone, or contact the shelter(s) through a church or dshs or whatever, if you need to get in one - forget it if you want to help, you're sol. I've had boxes of things and wanted to give them to a shelter and couldn't. I know it's to protect some ladies from ex's, but it was really frustrating because I had a LOT of really nice stuff, complete dishes sets, several working lamps, boxes and boxes of books, etc. And I hear you on the rules for donating. We've wanted to do toys for tots or a few of the foster kid reach outs and they only take new in the box presents or coats or whatever. Dudes, my kids don't get new from the store presents. Unless someone else buys them. If we had the money to be buying everything brand new we would have a second toilet ykwim? I mean, our yard is pretty but that second bathroom [even if it's a half bath over one bathroom] is a huge price jump where we live.

Anyway, if goodwill won't, and that's all that's nearby, try animal shelters, ours takes used towels and blankets.