new to cloth, need some guidance please

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by Harmonyrising, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Harmonyrising

Harmonyrising New Member

I am changing to cloth, I have questions. I am completely clueless in this area so please be gentile.
    I do have cloth trainers for DD and was thnking on starting her on TP, but I also think it best that she be in cloth to help the process.

I am wondering is there any that are already shaped as a diaper should be on the child, as in do I have to fold them onto DD or are there some that are already like that?

Also I am not feeling all that great about using pins to fasten them. I am seriously fearful I will stick my child with them. When I was a teen a babysat for a woman who cloth diapered and I stuck the child every time ...
    so that said are there ones that have velcro fasteners attached?

Should I purchase according to DDs clothing size or her weight ? She is small for a 19 mo old ..wearing size 12 mo. at 21 lbs.

Do they bulk out so much that I would have to clothe her in larger sized pants? Its not a problem, just needing to know before I buy diapers and put them on her and discover her clothing will not fit over them lol.

How many would I need to last a week or at least a few days with out having to launder. Our elec. bill is outragious when we do laundry more then once a week. Would that be the same as her current normal diaper changes or since she would feel the wetness more she would need to be changed more?

OK just one more ...sorry.

What brand would you recommend that I use according to my questions about this.
    Or what brands have you tried that work best for you?

Thank you oh so much if you read this and answer....
  2. robertsmom

robertsmom New Member

i used cloth diapers on all three of my kids. i purchased most of my diapers from wahms that a close relative recommended. i also learned about different diapers from mom's on discussion boards on mother's nature (which is no longer around).

i'd take a look on ebay under cloth diapers and read the descriptions. i really liked lukes drawers a lot. motherease was also a great one for me. kissaluvs makes some great diapers.

many diapers are contured and have either snap or velcro closures so you don't have to use snaps.

i have some diapers up on ebay at the moment (see my post) if you want to take a look. lukes drawers has a website if you want to buy new/direct.
  3. capemom

capemom New Member

Sounds like you are asking about options other than prefolds (the flat diaper that you fold and put on with pins and then cover with a waterproof cover. Lots of moms use prefolds and love them - easy to launder, cheapest option. They are what most people think of when they think about cloth diapers. I have not used prefolds. I have used a variety of other types of diapers. There are just so many wonderful options out there that are easy to use. I'll try to give a brief outline here:

AIO (All-in-one): Works as easily as a disposable - waterproof fabric and absorbant fabric all sewn together - goes on in one piece with either velcro or snap closure. They can take longer to dry.

Pocket Diapers: 2 layers of fabric sewn in the shape of a diaper - snap or velcro closure. The outside layer is waterproof, the inside layer is usually a synthetic fabric like microfleece. There is an opening in the waistband in the back of the diaper where you stuff an absorbant insert (think about a pillowcase). Anything absorbant will do - a prefold diaper folded in thirds, old dishtowels, or inserts that are made specifically for pocket diapers. The microfleece is against the baby, and it wicks the moisture away from baby and into the absorbant insert, so baby is left feeling drier.

Fitted diapers and covers: Fitted diapers are shaped like a disposable diaper - close with velcro or snaps, but they don't have the waterproof outer layer that the AIOs have. You will need to use a cover over them to make them waterproof.

There are lots of cover options and other things as well, but those 3 are the basics. From your description of what you are looking for, you may want to check out pocket diapers. They are fairly trim (will fit under most clothes that you would use over a disposable diaper). The other advantage to pocket diapers is that they are easy to wash and dry. Because the inserts (absorbant part) come out of them, they dry more quickly than AIOs and fitteds. This equates to energy savings in drying them.

As for sizes and brands, you will have to check them each out - every diaper maker has a different size chart. For pocket diapers, a good place to start is with Fuzzi Bunz. There are tons of other pocket diapers out there too. Swaddlebees is another popular brand right now. Happy Heiny and Snap-ez are other names. One important piece of advice - ******Buy one of two of things and try them before you invest in a lot of diapers. Every diaper fits every child differently.******** Someone might rave to you about Fuzzi Bunz, but you might hate them. I love Fuzzi Bunz, but when I tried a Happy Heiny, it leaked out the leg everytime. Other moms swear by Happy Heiny. Just the shape of my baby.

Finally, most people will recommend washing at least every 2 -3 days. You really don't want your diapers sitting for a week - yuck. Plus, you would need a lot more diapers to last that long. If you wash every other day or even every third day, you will need to buy less diapers. For a newborn, you probably need at least 24 diapers for 2 days. For a toddler, you can probably get by with 16 - 18. You will need to change more often than you probably do with disposables. Cloth diapers really need changing at least every 2 -3 hours during the day.

Check out www.diaperpin.com - there are reviews and links and lots of info about cloth diapers. Good luck!

Capemom
  4. DevDandKatesmom

DevDandKatesmom New Member

Im new to cloth diapering too.. but i wanted to let you know how nervous i was with the pins too ... so what i did was , i bought one of them snappis.. and it hooks right into the cloth diaper diaper.. thats if you use them kinds i think tho...
    Like i said im new.. sorry not much help..LOL
  5. Jennie143

Jennie143 New Member

I personally like pockets diapers, like Fuzzi Bunz. TheY are really user friendly and easy to take care of. Most pockets I have seen are pretty trim, so it eliminates that big butt thing. I have never had a problem getting my kids into their pants. :)

Diapers usually size by weight, not by age. So as long as you know her accurate weight, you shouldn't have any sizing problems.

I think you should have at least 24 diapers, so as not to be washing all the time. She will feel the wetness more, but really sposies and cloth should be changed the same amount of times in a day. It is just easier to not realize you have a wet baby when they are in sposies. Does that make sense?

AND my favorites are Fuzzi Bunz. Hands down.

HTH!