New here. Looking for a writing curriculum for a dyslexic teen boy.

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by JennyWren, May 11, 2010.

1. JennyWren

JennyWren New Member

Hi,
    My 15yo son struggles with writing. He is reading fairly well but really despises writing. I bought Writeshop but it is too "flowery". (Describe a pet, describe a person). I would like him to just have the basics that he would need should he decide to go to college, or just to get along in life. I was considering Wordsmith. But, again, lots of "describe" activities. He is a "just the facts" young man. Am I missing the point and does he need all this? Or is there something out there that would just give him the basics so he can move on?
    Thanks so much.
  2. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

The Scottish Rite Hospital Dyslexia Program that my daughter attended for two years recommended Teaching Written Expression The Phelps Sentence Guide Program.
    It's a very old program, mid 80s I think, so it is not so easy to find. :p
    I do have the copy that I bought if you are interested in it.
    It is very spelled out, just like the dyslexia program that my daughter was in.
    I will see if I can find a link to the book.
  3. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

4. amyincali

amyincali New Member

My 12 yo is most likely dyslexic. She was recently tested by a learning center near us and all signs point to dyslexia but they don't make official diagnosises.

Excellence in Writing has worked very well for my dd. She went from barely being able to put a paragraph together to putting together a 3 paragraph essay in about 6 months.
  5. Charity

Charity Amity's Focus Member

Which products did you specifically buy (there seems to be a ton of choices of items there)? I could use something for my dd.
  6. amyincali

amyincali New Member

We have the student writing intensive. That is what they recommended we start with. You pick the level based on age. I think A is grades 3-5, B is 6-8, and C is high school. We started with A because dd was 5th grade when we started it and then we will not do B and C but go on to continuation A. I talked to them at our convention last month and they said she could do B if she needed extra practice or just go on to continuation A.

Teaching Writing/Student Writing Intensive Combo | Institute for Excellence in Writing