new BF'er questions

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Mrs. Mommy, May 13, 2008.

1. Mrs. Mommy

Mrs. Mommy Breathe

I have to say I am pretty proud of myself because I did not even make it this far with DS. Vivian is almost 2 weeks old and we are doing really well with breastfeeding!

I do have some questions though. Her latch is good on the left side but when I put her up to my right breast she doesn't want to open her mouth for me. My nipple is starting to get pretty sore. Insight?

Also, should I be using both sides at each feeding? If I offer both sides which side do I offer first at the next feeding? Or, should I have her empty one side and then empty the other at the next feeding?

Thanks!
  2. nativeprincess

nativeprincess New Member

This is a tough one because many people would tell me at first to nurse on both sides at each feeding but i found this almost impossible because I had so much milk the baby couldn't possibly drink that much and if I switched mid feeding to the other side, I would be left with the one side still spewing milk and in the end both would be sore from not being fully empty, I think what i ended up doing is switching sides from one feeding to the next.
  3. teathymes

teathymes mama pajama

I missed that you had her! Congrats!!! What a beauty! WTG on the nursing too - woohoo!

You can nurse either way, as far as both at a feeding or one at a feeing. In my personal experience, when they are tiny, one side at a feeding, take off burp and relatch on that side works good because they get all the good hindmilk too which can help them be less gassy.
    However, it helps to have some supply going first, and keep an eye on that, making sure both sides get a workout. MY milk coming in would adjust after a bit and get fuller on one side only, and then as they got older and could do both it adjusted back.

As far as the latch, keep taking her off and relatching, using your thumb to pull down her bottom lip until she is latched on the right way. You can do alot with your fingertips, as far as shoving more nipple in there and making sure her lips are splayed out the way they are supposed to be. A wrong latch can go from sore to cracked open and bleeding REALLY fast, so give it a good go with each feeding to get it right. Once they are sore it is hard to tell if it is right or not, it just HURTS!
    Also, maybe try a different hold. If she latches better laying on her left side, keep her on that side and wrap her legs around your side and back, if that makes sense. Is that the football hold maybe? It helps to be in the comfort of your own home where you can have your shirt off and manuever a newborn around!! :)

Again, congrats! Enjoy your babymoon!
  4. teathymes

teathymes mama pajama

wanted to add, if you are really full, and decide to nurse on one side only, don't be afraid to pump a bit to releive the other side until you get evened out. When they get a bit bigger they suck it all down anyway. IT is just getting through this Pamela Anderson stage that is pretty umcomf!
  5. Indi's~Mama

Indi's~Mama New Member

I had so many midwives & people telling me what they thought the best way was. I've shut them all out now & breastfeeding Indi the way my mother fed us 5!
    EG - 10 mins on left breast, burp/wind, change nappy then latch onto right for as long as he wants. Next feed is 10 mins on right, burp/wind, change nappy then latch onto left for as long as he wants and so on.

:)
  6. Mrs. Mommy

Mrs. Mommy Breathe

Thanks for the advice.

Today she has been eating like a bird. Only eating on one side for 5-10 minutes and then falling asleep. She will probably want to make up for it at 3 am!

Also, today she was gulping while eating and the milk came out her nose! It did not bother her but is it normal, or should I worry?
  7. Quakermaid

Quakermaid New Member

My baby always has a slightly painful latch on the right. I'll be watching these replies with great interest.
  8. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

Congratulations!! That's awesome!! I found the first 6 weeks to be the toughest. Once you get through that, it's much easier (not easy but easier)

She probably picked up on you being uncomfortable in that position. If you're righty, nursing on the left will be easier. Try the football hold on the right side. This way she's still having the same feeling but it's the other breast. Also try nursing laying down. Sometimes just a change of position makes the difference.

It depends on your supply. If you have an over supply, then it's best to nurse on one side only. This way the baby gets more of the hind milk rather than a lot of foremilk which is thinner and less "holding' than the hind milk. What you do in this case is to nurse on one side ONLY for a 2 hour period. During those 2 hours, no matter how often she nurses, nurse only on one side. After the 2 hour period, change to the other side and only nurse for the next two hours on that side.

But under normal circumstances, feed her fully on one side until she's done, then burp her and offer the second side. She may nurse quite a bit more again or else she'll just nurse a little - or not nurse at all. The next feeding, you'd start on the side you last nursed on and nurse her on that breast fully until she's finished, burp her and then go for the other side.

One other method which I had to use on two of my kids was to switch nurse. I had sleepy babies because of my c-sections so in the first weeks, I would nurse on one side and they'd fall asleep. I'd burp them then let them nurse on the other side. They'd fall asleep again. I'd wake them by burping them or whatever then switch back to the first side to try to nurse again. When they go back on a breast after they've nursed a bit from it, they continue to get the hind milk which, again, is richer and more "filling" than the foremilk.

You can read a lot on nursing on kellymom :: Breastfeeding and Parenting It's an amazing resource.
  9. Lee W

Lee W New Member

Rotate

I believe it is definitely best to alternate the starting breast. Maybe try shorter intervals between feedings for a day and then the babe won't take so much at once causing the production of so much at once.

You'll get a good schedule going soon that works for both of you. Don't worry!
  10. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

Lee - Thanks for your responding to the thread but it's an old one. Babe is now 20 months old. :)
  11. Mrs. Mommy

Mrs. Mommy Breathe

Yep, almost 21 and we have worked out all the kinks! LOL!
  12. Lee W

Lee W New Member

Oops--

Oh sorry about that. I get so excited about people breastfeeding that I wanted to respond. I'm glad you became comfortable with bf your baby. Are you still? It's so natural and healthy to continue although most wean earlier than they should. Congratulations on your success. Are you having another pregnancy?