Need some basic info

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by JasminaMama, Feb 6, 2006.

1. JasminaMama

JasminaMama New Member

Hello ladies!

I have decided to cloth diaper this coming baby (due March 2) and have absolutely NO experience with cloth diapering whatsoever. I know that I don't want anything too complicated since I'll be starting nursing clinicals in September and my hubby will be on diaper duty while I'm gone. After looking at different diapers, I found that I really like Fuzzi Bunz. They seem quite easy to use and look very nice as well.
    My question is: just how many diapers should I buy? When will I have to switch to a different size? Is it really that easy to launder them in your washing machine (I sure hope so).
    Please help me out. Any tips and suggestions are welcome. Thank you all!

Jasmina
  2. Codi's Mama

Codi's Mama New Member

I have been cloth diapering for about 6 months now. I bought all my cloth diapers off e-bay fairly inexpensively (less than $30 including shipping). For ease of diapering and washing I'd get a kind with a snap-in liner, so you don't have to match up liners w/ covers (Little lambs brand). AIO's(all-in-ones) are good too. I use about 6-8 diapers/ day on a 13 month old. I'm not sure how many you'd need for a newborn. There are some diapers out there that go from 8-35+ pounds so you don't need to buy new sized diapers ever. Here's a link for some one-size-fits-most diapers http://www.diaperpin.com/diapers/itemlist.asp?subcat=ONESIZE
    I find it *very* easy to wash my own cloth diapers. I do a load every day, but I know there's a lot of people who put them in a pail and do a load every week. I think it just depends on how many diapers you have. I just wash with the regular laundry on hot and dry on hot. Once a week I'll throw all the dirty diapers into the washer with baking soda and/or borax and do a pre-wash, then wash a second time with regular laundry. Never had a prob. with poo or smells. I definately recommend cloth diapering!

Congrats on the new baby! Good luck!
  3. BareInstincts

BareInstincts New Member

Congratulations on your new baby.....

And you cloth diapering adventure. Trust me it will be an adventure. You will purchase you intial stash and then get hooked by all the prints.

LOL...

Here is my two cents....I used Fuzzi Bunz..and I liked them...but I used Happy Heiney's also and i liked them better....

I eventually got my system to 24 diapers. Since these don't need covers they were great and had I done this from the beginning I would have saved a bundle. LOL! Cloth diaper was actually more expensive for me but that was because of the cute ones I had to have.

Fuzzi Bunz--6 years ago... were ok but I had to use prefolds for the inserts. Now there are the inserts and such for all the diapers...LOL!..

I carry Happy Heiney's and Swaddlebees...and other wonderful products...

Check it out and let me know if I can help you anymore...and for what is worth I will carry the Fuzzi Bunz eventually but just starting .....had to pick and choose.
    LOL

Farrah
  4. lovencloth

lovencloth Amity's Focus Member

Fuzzi Bunz and Happy Heinys are great, I find that Men get confused (from what I have read at diaper swappers and here) as to what to put in them and such. You can find them on ebay or diaperswappers, or here sometimes, by buying a well known brand like this though, you will probobly pay more. I make AIO's and my dh LOVES them. He wishes that all we had was Little M's (and that would be the case if I had the time). There are many pocket WAHM's who make diapers out there and you might be able to get just as nice of a diaper system, for cheaper. I would also suggest checking out All in one's or all in two's such as mine. You can click on the box in my siggy. I am not telling you to buy mine, just look at them, they are super easy. Wash and wear. AIO's are the closest thing to disposables (as far as ease) out there. Washing, is very easy, here is a link
    look about 1/2 way down the page. Good luck to you and congratulations, hope you have a wonderful and happy babymoon!
    http://www.littlemstore.com/information.php?info_id=5&osCsid=37c5615215cea5c4d1b8bc9e7a130f5d
  5. christine

christine New Member

I just started CD'ing 2 months ago. we use exclusively pockets and AIOs - my favorite pocket is the fuzzi bunz, but it really can depend on how your child is built (which you obviously don't know yet!)

fuzzi bunz, swaddlebees and happy heinys are all pocket dipes - in my limited experience here are the differences: swaddlebees are the narrowest in the crotch, and snap on the sides. they tend to leak on me if catie has a very full bladder. FBs are medium width crotch and they snap in the front, they are very trim. HHs are the widest in the crotch and they velcro in the front.

I also use Rumpster AIOs and I love them.

as far as daddy not knowing which inserts go where, I just stuff them all as soon as they come out of the laundry room, and stack them up, so all he has to do is grab one and go :)

for washing we do - cold rinse, hot wash/cold rinse, 2nd rinse. I use about 2T of plain detergent - no dyes, brighteners, etc.
  6. JasminaMama

JasminaMama New Member

thanks for all the suggestions

I am going to use disposable diapers for a month or two (because people actually gave me 2 huge boxes of them, and because I need to settle down with the new baby). Thanks for all the info, I know that I'll be able to use it. I am even considering asking one of my friends (who sews really well) to try and make some for me. I have a couple of nice websites with patterns. I will try to attempt that path as well.
    I am really excited to try them! I know it will be an adventure.
    Once again, thanks for all the info.

Jasmina
  7. countrycuttins

countrycuttins Always Behind!

8. JasminaMama

JasminaMama New Member

thank you!!!