Need rec. for Lang. arts curr. that will hold my kids interests.

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by 3Gs4Me, Jan 4, 2011.

1. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    We have been using LLATL and it is not working for my boys learning styles. Would love to hear recommendations for 3rd and 5th grade on up. TIA
  2. Tap dancin mama

Tap dancin mama Amity's Focus Member

What are their learning styles?
  3. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    I think they are just bored with the approach and content of LLATL. THere is a lot of dicatation (we don't make them do it), a lot of memorization, a lot of bible verses and classical literature that is not in today's language.

Gavin, everything comes very easy to him so I need something to challenge him and hold his interest. Gabe has to really work to internalize things but also gets bored easily and frustrated when things don't click.
  4. Tap dancin mama

Tap dancin mama Amity's Focus Member

Not sure if you are okay with a more textbook approach, but I love Bob Jones English. It's great for kids who get bored easily, as the topics switch back and forth. It switches, one chapter on writing and one on grammer, for the entire book. So you will have one chapter on nouns, then one on writing a short story, then one on verbs, then one on writing a friendly letter.

There's usually a topic for the entire book (I think 3rd grade is farming). So the pictures and sentences etc.. have to do with the theme. It's not overwhelming for mom, each lesson can be taught and finished in 20-25 mintues. I love their method of teaching writing: planning, drafting, revising, proofreading, publishing. The pattern is super easy for the kids to comprehend and follow. The grammer is challenging enough, but not too crazy.
  5. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

Moving Beyond the Page is pretty much polar opposite of what you listed.

There is no dictation or copying. There is a lot of discussion of the literature, projects to do, papers to write (7-9 level they learn how to write a paragraph, 8-10 they move onto 3 paragraph papers and 9-11 has them doing 5 paragraph papers).
    All of the grammar is integrated in and uses the literature in the exercises.
  6. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

We use First Language Lessons 3 and Writing With Ease 3 with my 3rd grader. He really enjoys FLL. It has very short lessons. I like that it is totally scripted for me so it is super easy to just pick up and do. WWE is a lot of dictation, which Noah doesn't love but doesn't hate either.

We finally just started spelling today. We're using Spelling Workout 3. It's only been one day, but so far he likes it.

Don't get discouraged! Homeschooling is a lot of trial and error.