Need help with math/science for 9th grader...

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by nanci, May 31, 2010.

1. nanci

nanci jelly belly

Izzi has been dx with an autoimmune disease. Not sure if I'm going to keep her in school next year, since it's $17 a year and she most likely will miss a bunch and stress increases her flares....

She is really organized and very self motivated. She was frustrated with me before b/c when we hs'd, she thought we were very disorganized (we were).

This is what her 9th grade school schedule was supposed to be....

Geometry honors
    Spanish honors
    Biology honors
    World History 1
    English

I'm looking for a good/fun/very in-depth Geometry program. Got on last night and looks like Teaching textbooks or Jacobs Geometry.

Bio is a tough one, b/c she should have a LAB with this one....
    English will most likely be: writing IEW and reading good books.

What about World History for a 9th grader??? What's that boxed program called??? NOT winterpromise but ....OH yeah...Sonlight!!!

What are your RESOURCES/MESSAGE BOARDS for homeschooling teens???
    We put a $1500 deposit down and we will lose it....but tuition is due in about 1 month....so I've gotta be the mom and make the decision.

***Izzi is very bright but I need a very solid, well put together program that will teach her these courses AND not stress her out....****
    Is this possible??? :lol:
  2. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

I know a family who used Sonlight through high school, and their kids are really well educated. Both parents have a PhD, and weren't about to slack on education. I think they used the science that Sonlight recommended, but maybe not. He's an engineering professor, so he may have done more of his own thing.
  3. hana

hana Active Member

Nanci, you might want to check out Stanford's Online High School.

Stanford University

It's pricey (14,000) if the student takes four or more courses (full-time), a little less for fewer courses, but it seems like a really good comprehensive plan that she could do without you and that could minimize her stress.

Also, as far as an online forum for you, the discussion board at welltrainedmind.com has a forum for parents of homeschooled high schoolers.

I'm sorry to hear about her dx.
  4. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

Aha! Have you found HippoCampus yet?

it's here . . it's in my bookmarks for some reason, not sure what all it has though. :lol:

Also, internet 4 classrooms has a wealth of info iirc they're here or at least that's the page I have bookmarked so *I* can find things easily.

Too bad you're not local because I could let you borrow my WASL materials, a library was getting rid of "old" wasl stuff and I got as much as I could. I *might* have history stuff around her level around, not for sure.

((izzy)) and ((the whole family)) :prayers: and :heart smirk: to you.
  5. nanci

nanci jelly belly

Thanks to all of you!!!
    I love you all.....:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  6. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

Nanci - here's another source of info for you to think about if you don't feel completely covered in one area or another. My mother. Granted I am not speaking to her right now, but sooner or later I will have to kwim? Because I love my dad we will probably end up speaking nicely even. She is a good, even great teacher and teaches jr high kids in a high risk area. She's got her masters [i think in history? not for sure] and has passed the national boards. She writes and grades the WASL and helps pick the curriculum the district uses. So super well eduated but not so strong on the math/science end since she teaches the "core" classes for her work. She also mentors National Board people, but might have given that up, again, not for sure.

If you want I can ask her for everything she's not using *and* what she loves for her students and what the district loves and she'll tell me, she really really will. So whatever you do, please don't feel completely alone.

I know that you probably do feel so alone in this, sick kid, homeschooling, etc . . it's so many huge changes to happen to *you* let alone your baby that you're overwhelmed and that's a very lonely place.

But I'm here and I have librarians out the wazzo who lurve me and a mother who is good at what she does even if she isn't the greatest mother - and all of them are there for me to ask. Okay?

I just wish I could do more.

Oh! And before I forget - I am good at science and math, and helped my mother understand enough math to get through all her degrees. My one claim of anything I absolutely know I can do. I am a pretty self-doubtful person irl but if I can teach my mother algebra, I can teach *anybody* algebra. Seriously.

((massive hugs))

pm me if you want my email or phone number okay?
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010