Natural Oven Cleaner....???

Discussion in 'Super Crunch' started by artemis33, Dec 30, 2008.

1. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

*besides* baking soda and vinegar? I know that the BS/vinegar method works cause I've been doing that for years, but it also requires a fair amount of sitting and rinsing.

I'm looking for something easier - a natural spray on, wipe off and you are done cleaner. Our house is on the market right now and I need things to be quick and easy - but I'm not willing to use harsh chemicals, especially those!

Anyone have ideas for me?

2. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

We used ammonia recently.

I made dh do it..:hoo: . he said it worked great. It is less worse than the alternatives.

And now I don't roast chicken on high heat uncovered. that trashed my oven.

SUbbing to see what others say.
    I would say stop cooking things that trash the oven if your house is on the market. why add to the stress? *smooch*
  3. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    Agreed. Just be very careful about what you cook in the oven. I think you'll do fine. :)

Good luck with the house!

Val
  4. artemis33

Thanks :) Yeah, it is the chickens that do it! Tiny little splatters of grease...though it is hard to imagine not roasting one every week!

I guess for the short term I can buy pre-roasted ones at the HFS...

I found this online and I might try it.....it is somewhat expensive, but at this point in time I think will be worth it.

Natural Oven Cleaner
  5. mamatanya

mamatanya the bead lady

How did he use the amonia Linda? Scrub with it? Gag. I think I could handle putting it on rags and leaving in for a while but scrubbing the sides would knock me out.
  6. Linda

he did scrub with it.
    however, you can leave a bowl of ammonia in the over overnite(even I could not stand that smell) then dispose of it and scrub.

THe ammonia works great!
  7. artemis33

Linda I never ordered the expensive stuff so I think I will try ammonia. I read in a natural cleaning book if you leave a bowl of it in the oven overnight it will loosen all the crud, so that I am willing to try. As long as I time the scrubbing part for while DD is gone is should be fine.

I'm going to try it tomorrow night/Tues. I'll report back!

I can always order the other stuff if it doesn't work out ;)

Thanks!

(but BTW someone has an offer on house and the inspection is this week so hopefully all will go well and we'll be done showing the house! woohoo!)
  8. yitlan

yitlan New Member

I just did it with Shaklee's Scour Off. I trust their products.
  9. Linda

yes they have great stuff.:)
  10. Scottishthistle

Scottishthistle can I kick it?

we have a steamer thing that works great, just uses water
  11. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

Maybe I am the freak here but I've never had to let anything soak and soak and soak with baking soda and I rarely clean our oven. :lol: I did more when we had crappy rental stoves that were nine million years old but even moving into a rental where the stove hadn't been cleaned first I didn't have to soak or anything.

But then when I clean the oven I get ready for it, I pull the oven a bit away from the wall, take the drawer & racks out, have a pot of warm water, plenty of rags & baking soda. I just use vinegar to rinse because we're always running out.

Now if you have a good grout & silicone (? yk that rubber plasticy stuff around your tub where it attaches to the wall?) cleaner that's not fumey I want to hear it! :lol:
  12. artemis33

Jess the soak and soak part isn't so much the problem it is the rinse and rinse and rinse LOL Though I did always have a few spots of baked on stuff that needed repeat soaking.

But really, under normal circumstances, that is still what I use. I posted this while our house was on the market, we had to have everything looking perfect all the time at a moment's notice and I was also super busy packing, etc.

Now that we have moved I can resume the usual tactics of BS and vinegar. Though honestly that expensive spray I linked to is very appealing. Easy, easy yk?
  13. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

:lol: I didn't notice the post dates, just that this thread was in the "view new posts" list, sorry!
  14. fleacyt

fleacyt New Member

What I use is baking soda and vinegar and then I scrub it with an SOS pad, works great! They also have some commercial organic oven cleaners available, never tried any but I think I even saw some at Home Depot!
  15. nuwave06

nuwave06 New Member

At OnlyGreen, we carry a product called Mothers Choice that is a nontoxic, organic and biodegradable oven cleaner and works great on other hard surfaces as well.