my SIL seems mis-informed...idk though.

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by lovesongbird, Apr 13, 2010.

1. lovesongbird

lovesongbird New Member

My SIL had her son 7 wks before my son was born. She started pumping before I did and considers herself a BFing guru. She's feeding her son 8oz bottles at every feeding bc [he's so hungry]. he's almost 4 months old. isn't that a lot of milk? i feel like he's being overfed. she's also supplementing with formula bc her ped told her she doesn't make enough milk. what do you think?
  2. Breila

Breila New Member

Every baby is different, and that's about the only advice I have. My oldest, who was bottle fed, was taking 8oz bottles by 3 months, every 3 hours. Those teeny little 4oz bottles were my biggest waste of money, as he "outgrew" them by 2 months.

Also, if she is exclusively pumping, there is a good chance that she is not making enough milk.

I know I've read that one of the dangers of bottlefeeding is overfeeding, but IDK, if the baby is taking the entire bottle without encouragement and isn't spitting a good chunk of it up, my gut says she is probably not overfeeding.
  3. tracey

tracey no worries on my mind

A quick glance A big chance My heart beat like a d
    i think there isn't enough information in what you've shared to make a determination.

my opinion, keeping in mind i've worked in lactation for 12ish years until recently, is to leave it to the professionals as to whether her baby is getting enough. learn what you need to do for your baby and trust that she will do the same.
  4. teathymes

teathymes mama pajama

I think the sooner you get over the competition with your sil, and just get on to loving and supporting her and your nephew, even through conflicting choices, the happier you will be. :)
  5. mom2tig99Nroo03

mom2tig99Nroo03 MamaBearishFireman'sFlame

if a good portion of that is aim, she probably isn't overfeeding. a baby who is exclusively breastmilk fed doesn't take nearly that much on average.
  6. sweet~potato

sweet~potato Active Member

My ds didn't drink that much at that age, but my nephew did. My ds has taken an 8 oz bottle maybe 3 or 4 times in his whole bottlefeeding life (he's now 16 mos). He's never been a big eater, whereas my nephew has been from the beginning.
  7. mom2tig99Nroo03

mom2tig99Nroo03 MamaBearishFireman'sFlame