My Container Garden **link to pics added**

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by justthemama, Feb 8, 2009.

1. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

Link to pics: My Garden - a set on Flickr

I got our container garden started last week and I'm really pleased with everything so far. Hopefully much of this will be transferred to raised beds after we move but until then, I can't do anything permanent.

I'm using the cheap plastic (made to look like terra cotta) planters and pots that Lowe's sells (their prices are actually comparable to Walmart and the selection is bigger).

We bought these plants:

2 quinalt strawberries
    3 ever-bearing strawberries
    2 tomato plants (specially for containers)
    6 early girl tomato (not yet planted)
    6 zuchini (not yet planted)
    6 broccoli
    3 burpless cucumber
    1 lemon sage
    1 onion chive
    1 sweet basil
    1 cilantro
    1 italian parsley
    5 geraniums (I just love geraniums)

And then these we're starting from seed:

yellow squash
    green onions (scallions)
    red-cored chantenay carrots
    tons of flowers...we have 4 packets of seed, everything is pink and some will go into planters and some into the yard and built-in planters out in front

I plan to pick up some:

romaine lettuce plants....passed it up when I saw it but decided to go back for it

a couple more of the container tomato plants....since I'm not sure how well the other 6 will do since they're really tiny and apparently not suited to containers

radish seeds

I have no idea if the broccoli, cucumber and zuchini have any chance in even the roomy planters I have....thinking of transferring them to sterilite-type tubs since there will be a much greater surface are in those and Fry's has generic ones pretty cheap!

Once we move and I get the beds built, I really want to do those little sugarbaby watermelons.

Financials:

Total investment so far in containers, plants, seeds, seed starting supplies, soil, compost, fertilizer, tools, etc. is $250. It initially seemed like a lot but when I consider the value as a homeschooling project for the kids and the potential we can eat some of it, I think it's well worth it. We're doing a long unit related to it for school and it's been a lot of fun planting this all with the kids so far. I don't need any new homeschooling stuff this spring, so I can consider this coming from that unused budget.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. Korwynne

Korwynne Mama of Miracles

I'm so very jealous. :)
  3. Suzie

Suzie Amity's Focus Member

Very nice!
  4. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

It looks very nice.
  5. justthemama

Thanks mamas! :)
  6. MMJoiner

MMJoiner New Member

Oh this is great!

I was thinking about doing some container gardening. I can't really plant any plants, but I have plenty of room to set plants in containers. SO I'm going to give it a go if I can find containers extra super cheap. Thanks for the insperation
  7. justthemama

You know, after shopping for more large planters or even new sterilite bins, I'm thinking of recycling some bins I already have, so I can get more space and not buy anything yet. I've got some empties sitting around due to downsizing our stuff. Should work great. I did ask on Freecycle but so far, no luck.

Good luck getting started--it's really rewarding. There are so many awesome books on container gardening as well. I haven't gotten one yet but hope to soon.
  8. Rhea

Rhea Tickled by the view

That is very cool. Love it. So wish I could be planting soon. <sigh>

Rhea
  9. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

Great job mama! I so want herbs this year.
  10. Korwynne

Korwynne Mama of Miracles

what herbs do you want Jess? I'm trying to decide which ones I want to put in this year..