Medicinal/remedy herbs - how much do you do?

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by cathleenc, Apr 23, 2010.

1. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

I'm all interest this year to sart making a couple of simple salves and tinctures and maybe oil infusions. Have only made some elderberry remedies so far! The 'I'll do it' moment came after spending $$ on a burts bees hand salve (desperately needed) and flipping it over to read what was in it - shoot, all those things are mere steps from our front door, including the beeswax from the hives! And so began several months of getting herbal books from the library, finding a few herbal books to buy, reading, and finding herbal oline groups to learn from. Buying seeds and starting them earlier this year - calendula, narrow leaf echinacea, lovage, mint, st johns, camomile all busy growing under lights.

The culmination? I'm hosting an herbal group here this saturday. Maybe 5-10 women I've never met yet in person - coming to swap plants and gather wild things from our farm. Please! take my burdock and stinging nettles home with you, please! lol. I know I'm getting some valerian and some arnica. Sweet!

Anyway, still not sure what I want to do/make and feeling a need to come up with at least a few 'must dos'.

Wondering what do you make? Have any plans for the coming season? Things you can't life without? Products you 'll never spend the time making again?

I think I'll make a violet & plaintain salve first. Need to start those infused oils before it rains this weekend!
  2. ian'smommaya

ian'smommaya Amity Teen

subbing, bbl.
  3. MissNairne

MissNairne All new, with added NAK!

I have such plans for a medicine garden! So far, I keep lavender, rosa rugosa, and elder, echinacea and heather. I wild harvest dandelion, burdock, plaintain, and chickweed. I plan to plant nettle and comfrey this year.

I wish I knew more people that wanted to identify and trade herbs!!
  4. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

Got plenty of plantain + dandelion in "weed" form here.

Plan to plant: lavendar, borage, calendula (just got seeds for the last two in today's mail from Baker Creek)....we'll see what else! Focusing mostly on culinary herbs this year, but def want to start adding in medicinal herbs as well.
  5. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

It's my strength. :) Far more than growing veggies.

Have done calendula, made oil and then salve with the oil.

I grew chamomile last year and harvested and dried it for tea.

I wild harvest: plantain, rose hips, red clover, burdock, dandelion (leaves in the spring, flowers a little later in spring, roots dug and made into tincture in fall), St John's wort (make oil), yarrow (dry for tea), gosh what else, LOL. Goldthread which is good for sore throat. Chickweed fresh for salad (have done salve before but prefer the plant fresh). Have 3 elderberry bushes that previous owners put in, and I harvest both flowers and berries. The syrup from the berries helped us a lot with swine flu last year.

Mostly I eat things fresh, dry things for tea and do some tincturing or making oil. I keep it simple. I like having things in dried form and taking tea for most uses.
  6. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

great thread. I've given this a lot of thought too, then shelf-it as too much info to wade right now. lol.

This is a really smart idea. Good for a greenie like myself.
  7. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

I'd love you to teach me some of the wild plants here, I have no idea what most of them are!
    I'm expanding my herbs every year, I'm more into culinary uses but that's just because I know little about medicinal uses other than mint or chamomile in tea.
    I've got lavender, chives, oregano, tarragon, sage, and mint that are coming up each year, marjoram that I think might be coming back up, wild chamomile all over the yard, and I plant rosemary, basil, parsley, dill, chamomile and whatever else I can find/think of each year.
  8. cathleenc

I have officially started!!

just made (started) infused oils: comfrey, plantain, burdock root. Harvested (and used up) 1/2 lb of dried nettles for infusions. Have another 4 bunches of nettles hanging in the garage eaves, drying. Hoping to pick and hang a couple of bundles every day or so. Hoping to make violet leaf/flower and chickweed infused oils this week and cut/dry some lemon balm. Oh, dandelion flower oil and root tincture are on the to-do list too. Fun!!

anyone else?
  9. ian'smommaya

ian'smommaya Amity Teen

i could really use some jewel weed if anyone is into trading.
  10. cathleenc

we have an abundance of jewelweed here - you are welcome to drive over and get some free seedlings if you want. (we're about 90 minutes from the minn-wi border). If not seedlings, tell me what you need - and if I can make it and you can wait - I'd be delighted to trade. I could probably put some seedlings in a priority box and mail them to you if you wanted to pay for postage.
  11. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

Can you tell me what you use jewel weed for? I grew up with it and it grows rampant near my parents' house.
  12. ian'smommaya

ian'smommaya Amity Teen

poison ivy! great for poison ivy!
    cathleenc, i am the twin cities, minneapolis to be exact. i dont know where you are, would driving be worth it? i would be happy to pay for shipping.
  13. cathleenc

my dh just happens to be driving to bloomington - country inns and suites - mall of america - on wednesday. If you can meet him there I can send a package of seedlings. It needs fairly wet ground to grow! (we live in a very wet area)
  14. ian'smommaya

ian'smommaya Amity Teen

yes! lemme check my datebook.