Maybe this is a dumb question, but..which is healthier?

Discussion in 'Super Crunch' started by Kbsmama, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

Earth Balance Buttery Spread (non-organic) or butter (non-organic)?

Another time, I would have an answer, but my brain is not functioning ;).
  2. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    I always choose the natural over the unnatural. But then again I buy organic butter from Costco in bulk. But I would pick the natural fatty non-organic over the 'buttery spread' anyday. (Buttery spread reminds me of "cheese food"... it just doesn't seem right. lol)
  3. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

me too! :)
  4. MotherMoon

MotherMoon Super Crunch in AL

somewhere between complete exhaustion and utter eu
    You can get Smart Balance Organic which is basically EarthBalance but organic. It is made by the same people. It is a bit more expensive. I have no choice. We can't do dairy. So, it is spread for us.

For us though, butter or spread would have to be organic. That way you avoid hormones, abx and genetic modification.
  5. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

I have bought butter from Costco in bulk, but it's been quite awhile. I don't think they have it organic here though...darn.

We've been using Earth Balance because we've been non-dairy for pretty much the past year. Now, we're going back to eating dairy, and I'm trying to figure out the best choices for us...I know there is also an Earth Balance Organic, but it is whipped and so not so great for baking. And, I really don't care for the sticks, either--they are more like shortening, in texture and flavor.

I can get butter from my co-op which is HbG free, but still not organic, so I don't know that it is worth spending the extra money as opposed to conventional. I can get regular butter from Costco for about $1.88 a lb., and the HgB free would cost about 3.50.
  6. MotherMoon

MotherMoon Super Crunch in AL

somewhere between complete exhaustion and utter eu
    Shoot, regular butter is $3 a lb here. The Organic Smart Balance is cheaper. I have not noticed a baking issue with it. But, it has been years since I baked with butter. I used coconut oil or Smart Balance or Earth Balance. You can get Earth Balance in sticks? That would be convenient for baking.
  7. onlyboys

onlyboys New Member

I choose the real stuff over the made stuff too. Spread just tastes funny to me.
  8. Kristerae

Kristerae Amity's Focus Member

I say butter...****, I wish we had costco here....We are home of Sams and Walmart...altho organics are popping up at both places, no butter last I checked :(
  9. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

you can also you palm shortening or coconut oil for baking in part or whole.

I say only organic animal fats...or organic non-hydrogenated spread..lol!

Animals bioconcentrate the toxins...so non-organic does not make sense to me.