Math... math math math

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by 3boysnagrl, Aug 7, 2009.

1. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

Austin has been doing Life of Fred pre-algebra. He's on page 167. His answers have been correct... he's been working every day... flying through this math. Go me, right? For picking an awesome curriculum that Austin is enjoying and getting easily?

No.

He's been just going through and writing down the answers that are IN THE BOOK. They are there to compare, to self-check. But no... my son, of course, doesn't even READ any part of the book. Just starts copying. I got upset. I bend over backwards. I cannot do EVERY LITTLE THING with each of them. I totally get that he may need help understanding some of the concepts. Of course he would, it's new material. But GOD FORBID he admit he doesn't understand something and ask for help. (yet at the same time when dh asked him about Egyptian myths last night he acted as if he had never heard of such a silly thing... he's been reading these Egyptian myths for 3 weeks!!!!!!!!)

I signed him up for ALEKS math. Taking me out of that equation. I had already spent $300+ on math books. And today I flopped another $175 down for him for a different math program.

If this boy doesn't make me loose my mind, it will be a miracle. Really. I know... I've been saying that for years. This boy... sigh. And his voice is changing and he mumbles all the freaking time. And when asked to write 3 sentences about a topic he wrote the same sentence three times in a different way. He is 13 now.... I am so tired of fighting with him. But... even when he was in school, it was fight. He fights me with everything - and pretty much always has.

ugh.

ok, vent over (for now, I reserve the right to come back to this same complaint at any given time... as I am sure there are years of backlog of this same complaint from me about same child that goes back many many years in the Amity archives)
  2. Charity

Charity Amity's Focus Member

Didn't you try Teaching Textbooks at one point (I thought it was you that posted, but can't remember)? Did that not work well for you guys? That's supposed to be less involved for parents, right? We were looking into Teaching Textbooks for ds for next year possibly. Right now we're using Abeka for math.
  3. DixieChick

DixieChick One Hot Mama!

Heather, I am sorry. That just sucks rotten eggs. As an aside, what life of fred do you have? Anything other than Beginning ALgebra and decimals/percent?
  4. 3boysnagrl

We used it one year. It was ok. We may end up going back to it, actually. sigh...

We have the whole series. I was THAT motivated. However, I do have at least one child who adores it, so still worth it imnsho.
  5. nanci

nanci jelly belly

Teaching Textbooks was one of Izzi's favorite. We have Life of Fred Algebra, but haven't tried it.

Aleks was good, but you have to check to make sure they are doing their work. Sigh. I know how you feel!
  6. punkin

punkin Amity's Focus Member

:hug: sorry heather. that is so difficult!

and nanci, you were in PA? great pic!
  7. xt

xt Active Member

that sucks. I may have the same kid, actually. We have to write down the date on his work, or he just pretends to do it.
  8. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

:hug: heather and XT. i read the post to my DH and he said "ahh sounds like evan"

I swear that I am afraid of where our relationship will be years down the road b/c I am so fed up of repeating myself and directing him to do things that he already knows how to do.
  9. 3boysnagrl

He was even dating his work!!!

Outright copied the answers. God forbid he THINK for himself.

sigh... there is hope... I only have ONE other one who seems to be following his 'path'. (Lauren)

And exactly... I can't tell you how many times I say the same exact thing.

Math is now outsourced. Now writing... because that might require some actual thought. That is our main goal for the year, to get the older two (especially) comfortable writing on a regular basis.

Come Monday morning the mean teacher is back. Maybe I need to smack knuckles with a ruler or something. :lol:
  10. Tap dancin mama

Tap dancin mama Amity's Focus Member

I think for some kids the temptation of having the answers right there, is too great. Maybe TT would be better, no chance of being sneaky.
  11. emmas~clogs

emmas~clogs meanie mommy ;)

yes, I have been there many times with my 14 year old. I am so ready for him to be in school so that I am out of the equation! We did ALEKS for a while but he kept sneaking on the internet by opening new windows instead of doing the math :vent: If I came in, he'd click back to ALEKS. This was when I wasn't getting the reports from ALEKS by email so I wasn't able to tell that he wasn't progressing.
  12. nanci

nanci jelly belly

Yep! Izzi did 5 weeks of ballet in Carlisle at Dickenson college. I was there at the beginning and end...and then to Hershey, Gettysburg, and Wash DC. It was soooo pretty there. Izzi is begging to move back there (for ballet).
    Wish I had more time to meet up with some of you in PA