maternity clothes patterns

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by ElDucko, Jun 29, 2010.

1. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

I really want a maternity skirt.

I have fabrics and a machine and more elastic than one seamstress really requires [cough] so let's look around for patterns.

Do you think something like this is better?

wrap skirt tute

or maybe this?

elastic waisted skirt tute

I think the second one would need weird hem-lines don't you? That's where I got stuck and would need a pattern, because of the hem-line.

If I had the right fabric, something like this would be cool, though I doubt I can pull off the tube top part myself, at least, not in public. Having two girls made me think I'd have this pregnancy part down by now, but this time my boobs are just getting huger all the time.

This came up under patterns for some reason, I've never even heard of them. Hrm . . . .

Or I could use this idea/tute here . . .

Thoughts?
  2. hastings

hastings Amity's Focus Member

I'm most certainly a fan of the wrap skirt for maternity wear. I also do my standard rectangular skirt (just two rectangles a casing and a hem) for maternity since I'm bound to not get any bigger around then the hemline :) But then, I'm all about the decoration of clothing (applique and patchwork) as opposed to the lines and silhouettes of things, so there's my bias at work.
  3. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

I'm pretty hippy though, so I think I need more a-line than rectangle? However, a-line is nothing more than a trapazoid vs a rectangle, so that could work.

:badidea: This is what you get when you didn't attend that one day in whatever grade that was that taught you all that stuff like fashion and makeup.
  4. choleblack

choleblack Amity's Focus Member

LOL. I missed that "fashion & Make-up" day too!

You can't go wrong with a wrap skirt. The problem is that you have tie below the belly, not in the middle or above because then the "wrap" part won't close fully & could look odd or expose parts you want covered. I guess you could alter the shape to account for the belly & tying above it. But, ugh, math!

This Sewing Mama Forums - Free Patterns to Download - Kori Skirt is the same as your 2nd choice I think. plain skirt with a nice knit waistband. I really really love this skirt. You can fold the waist up or down depending on how you feel (Or how big the belly gets). Heck, I haven't been pregnant for 10 years & still sometimes need a bit of forgiveness in the waist area YK! If it's sized right you could even wear it post baby.

Chole