Looking for the thread I posted last year...

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by 3Gs4Me, Mar 16, 2010.

1. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    about choosing curriculum. I have tried doing a search and apparantely it will not go back that far.

We are def. keeping the kids home next year so I am trying to research curriculum. That thread had a lot of good info in it and I wanted to look at it again rather than ask the same questions.

Can anyone help me figure out how to find that thread?
  2. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

3. Natalia

Natalia New Member

What brought you to this point Bobbi Jo? (if you want to share)

Let me know if I can support you in any way.

I'm sure I posted this in your original post, but with a dh who is an educator, I think your would both be very impressed with the approach in The Well-Trained Mind.
  4. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    Thanks Teri. That is the thread. I thought I posted it in this forum which is why my search didn't find it.

Natalia, it has been a long indecisive year for me as you know. For some reason, it now just feels right, so right that I don't even want to send the kids for the rest of this year (dh and I agreed we would so I would have time to get everything in place in regards to homeschooling, the co-op I run, and some home improvements we need to have finished). On Friday, the kids had a half day due to fog. With an assembly, gym, and library in the afternoon, I did something I have never done and offered the kids a choice to either go to school or play hookey and go to Meijer Gardens. We spent 2.5 hours there, studying and discussing the sculptures of the gallery artist (also the person who designed the floor there) watched a video about how the floor art was made, walked through the butterflies twice, and spoke to several volunteers about the habits of butterflies. The kids, and I, were mesmerized by all of it. I saw a love of learning in my kids that I do not see when they are in a classroom learning from a book with 28 other classmates. I want to explore our surroundings with my kids, I want them to learn through doing, I want to travel with them, and have the freedom to go off on a tangent. We feel so constricted by being tied to the school schedule that it is hard for us to make the above possible with them in school.

I feel great about the decision. It makes my heart sing. :heart smirk:
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  5. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

On days when I am having self doubt or just frustration about homeschooling, things like this remind me why I do it. I love watching the boys learn and I love the fact that they actually enjoy doing things like reading or exploring or researching. That makes it worth it!

:heart smirk:
  6. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

Perfect reasons Bobbi Jo!:heart smirk:
  7. Natalia

Natalia New Member

That's wonderful Bobbi Jo! Enjoy the journey.
  8. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

Yay! I am happiest that you feel content with your decision!