Little stones and rocks

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by spinknottle, Jun 1, 2010.

1. spinknottle

spinknottle Active Member

I live in an area where there's a lot of clay. It's mostly ok because they clay doesn't start until about a foot down. But I have a problem.

My front garden (hosta's, lambs ear, silver mound, thrift) if full of little rocks and stones. And it seems no matter how often I pull them all out, after a couple of good rain's, they're back again. I'm wondering if it's actually rocks or hardened clay that's pushing it's way to the surface. I've though about buying some soil (or finding some somewhere) and adding it on top of all the old dirt, but I don't think that's a solution to the problem.

So how do I resolve this?? Any ideas??

Thanks!!!
  2. tash

tash New Member

we have a lot of clay and small rocks too. unless I am actively digging or tilling I don't care if there are some on top. do you mulch? doesn't that help with seeing them on the surface?
  3. spinknottle

I don't mulch....but maybe I should :)

I can not notice them for weeks on end, then after a big rain I see them all the time!!!
  4. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    Mulching will help. But don't dig the mulch in... ever. Just put a layer of bark (non-treated bark) on top of your soil and slowly, it will create soil that sits above the rocks you have below. We had an entire section of yard that was like that... We honest to god didn't have any dirt there, and the grass kept dying. The guy that owned this house before us said he couldn't figure out why... But when I looked it was pretty clear. You need SOIL to grow seeds. ;) So I topped dressed the whole area with garden soil and composted horse poo. We have beautiful grass now. :)
  5. spinknottle

Thanks for the tips!!!