Leaks!

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by Denise, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Denise

Denise New Member

I'm cloth diapering my newborn son and using a diaper service. It's been going well, but over the past week we've had leaks nearly every day, sometimes with every diaper. I just don't have that many covers, and can't get to the laundry that often. Do you have any tips that I should look for the next time I change him?

Also, can you tell me about hygiene for diaper wraps? I thought someone told me that you didn't have to wash them if they got urine on them, that they could air-dry, but my husband swears he can smell them (and I think the person was talking about wool covers). Is there something I can rinse them in between laundry days?

Thanks!
  2. IrishAngel

IrishAngel Not broken, just bent Staff Member

What covers are you using? The wool ones air dry, your right. We usually wipe dry are proraps and use them again if they are barley damp.
    You may have gotten a batch of diapers that need to be stripped. I don't know diaper service policy on if you can wash your own, but you could try I guess.
    Hth!
  3. luvmybabies

luvmybabies New Member

Are they pul covers? If it is just urine you should be able to wipe them off and let them airdry. You could also hand dry wash them and let them hang to dry.

Are you using prefolds or fitteds? If you are using prefolds and you are having a problem w/ leaking poo you may need to try another fold.

If your babe is just peeing a bunch then it is an absorbency issue. Adding a double will help w/ that. If your service does not sale doublers you could use washcloths for doublers. You could use the cheapie 12 pack of washcloths from Walmart or Target.
  4. Denise

Denise New Member

I think he may just be a really good pee-er right now. They're Chinese Pre-folds and the woman who runs the service gave me a larger size this week because they're more absorbent. Not enough for my little guy, but we'll keep trying!

Thanks everyone!
  5. luvmybabies

luvmybabies New Member

6. Ariadne Umbrell

Ariadne Umbrell New Member

Also, how old? four months old- the whole month- they are just a biological fluids sieve. As in, crazy amounts of milk in, and profuse amounts of waste.

You have no idea how long it took to come up with the polite way of saying that. Anglo-saxon just works better.

Nobody expects it. it's not in books. at the end of the month, though, you have a baby that looks like a baby, not a neonate.

no diaper is proof against this month.

ari
  7. Denise

Denise New Member

He's one month old now, and we're still having trouble. I switched to disposables for the night, but we're having leaks with every morning diaper -- disposable or no.

Which reminds me, any tips for getting breastfed baby poop out of clothes? Our usual soaps (Dawn or Shout always worked for our stains) are not cutting it now.
  8. Tap dancin mama

Tap dancin mama Amity's Focus Member

Hey Denise! I'd call, but I'm super sick, so I'll just reply here.

If he's peeing thru sposies you need to move up a size. The weight charts are relatively useless, LOL!

Are you still laying the diaper in a velcro cover? If so it might be time to try a snappi or pins. He might be shifting the diaper around too much.

It's really hard to get bf baby poo out of things. I threw away a lot of outfits because they were ruined. Sometimes I could get the stain out with oxyclean.