Laundry..How often?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by DevDandKatesmom, Apr 3, 2006.

1. DevDandKatesmom

DevDandKatesmom New Member

I just started out so i only reAlly have a enough for a day... so im doing laundry once a day.. (or MORE!) and the loads are soooo tiny(we have a big washer tub)
    I was wondering how many days you go between washings.. and approx how many diapers, covers, inserts and such you have ....that last till your next diaper washings!? :flowerkit
    Thanks! :waving:
  2. Jrnme

Jrnme Boy Crazy!!!

When Sam was in diapers we did wash about every 3 days and had about 3 dozen diapers and 12 or so covers. I wasen't big on re-using the covers thought. Most of the time he only wore a cover to bed, for naps or if we went out of the house.
  3. ~Meeshi~

~Meeshi~ Also Known As Michelle

With around 3 dozen diapers (maybe a little more) and 6 or 7 covers, I was generally doing laundry every third day. Occasionally, we'd only get through two days, but that was if Kaya was going more than usual or had diarrhea.

What are you using, Crystal?? I found prefolds for a good price at www.sunflowerderrieres.com
  4. DevDandKatesmom

DevDandKatesmom New Member

I use just the regular cloth diapers from wal mart... the white pre fold ones.... they seem to work really well for us.
  5. menfusse

menfusse New Member

I am sort of new too. I wash every three days. I have about 3 dozen dipes and about 10 or 12 covers. At first, I was using a cover all the time. Then I figured out that there is no reason for that at home. We just use them when we leave the house and at night. So I would say 4 or 5 is plenty, unless you want to use them all the time. I have a bit of a comment about the wal-mart dipes. If they are the Gerber birdseye prefolds, with the polyester center, we used those for about a month or two and then the polyester fiber stuff started holding onto the pee smell no matter what I did. My all cotton ones that I ordered, babytextile DSQ I think, smell wonderfully clean. I read that polyester tends to hold on to oder. So if cloth is working out for you, I would reccomend trying out some all cotton prefolds. You will have to order from an online retailer, but I think you will like them so much better than the gerber once you see them.