Kindle or Not to Kindle

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by justthemama, Mar 3, 2011.

1. justthemama

justthemama Amity's Focus Member

Strictly from a financial standpoint.

I love books. I buy lots of books. I mostly read reference/self-help....sometimes fiction. But mostly, reading has a purpose...like when dd pushed me to start observing some Jewish practices and I had no idea how to do it, other than what my totally non-observant father taught me. :D I bought several books on Judaism and raising Jewish kids and now I'm good to go. ;)

So books are mostly about learning and not entertainment for me. But I really need to reduce how much I spend on "incidentals" such as books every months.

We don't have a free public library within easy driving distance and frankly when I want/need something, I want it when I want it...not 4 months later when my turn on the list comes up. :drool: I could pay $100 a year to use the closest library (about 10 minutes from home) but they are a tiny branch which usually means ILL and then if you ask for 12 different books, they'll all come in on different days (anywhere from a few days later to two weeks later) but they will not hold books...so you essentially have to go in every couple days to get them as they come in. Highly annoying, especially when I have to pay (I tried it the first year I lived here and didn't renew).

I am the type of person who is reading a dozen books at a time. I like to have a variety of things to read about, depending on my mood. I try to remember to take a book when I know we'll be somewhere where I have to wait (a regular occurrence with 4 kids and their appointments and lessons) but I never seem to bring the one I feel like reading.

I might take a year to get through a book. If I love it and want it for reference forever, I save it. If I don't love it, I will sell it. But usually can only get a few $$.

Most of the books I buy are $12-30 or so on Amazon and the Kindle versions run about $10 typically. I've bought a few books this way and I use the free Kindle for PC app...but then of course I can't read them if I don't feel like sitting at the PC (and my laptop gets very hot, so cradling it in my lap to read in bed isn't fun LOL).

I was figuring that if I got the $139 Kindle then it would, over time, pay for itself. There are a lot of books I really want to read that are in the $30+ range and I could save a lot by getting the Kindle version. I'd no longer be able to return books I decide right away aren't right for me, and I wouldn't be able to sell used books.

I guess I'm worried I'll regret the Kindle for those reasons...or that I'm convincing myself it's a budget-friendly decision because I think it'd be cool to have one. My 15yo had to get a root canal today (failed filling in a banded tooth) and I sat and fiddled with my iPhone off and on for two hours...I was wishing I had a Kindle!! :D

What do you think?
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  2. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

I love my Kindle. I had similar questions before I got mine - wondering if I'd spend more on books, etc. I watch Amazon's promotions - they often put books for free for a short time, so if I might read it, I dl it while it's free, and there are a ton that are 99c or 1.99. And yeah, if you're going to buy the books in paper, IMO it's so nice to have everything stored on the Kindle - for me one of the big things was not having to store all the paper books in my tiny house. I read more now because of that, but I've set a Kindle budget and stick with it. You can download a free sample of the book so you can get an idea of whether you'll like it, which for me has actually cut down on buying excess books that I just have to resell b/c they weren't for me. Also, if you don't like the book you have 7 days to return it. :) That definitely helps!
  3. deb215

deb215 Active Member

I just got the kindle app for my phone and am liking it so far. I guess it depends on if you mind reading on smaller devices though. I think some libraries have ebooks too.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  4. hematite

hematite New Member

I love my Kindle. There are a bunch of free books, and there is a Kindle library online. you can also loan kindle books for two weeks at a shot. There is no downside to it at all. We live in a tiny house, filled with books, and buying it was my attempt to decrease all of the paper in my home (since there are three avid readers here)
    HTH,
    Misty
  5. mamajandtheboys

mamajandtheboys Amity's Focus Member

I love mine. I just told DH last night that it was the best Christmas gift I've ever gotten. It's something I use every single day and actually have noticed I'm reading MORE than I did before. It's instant gratification -- as soon as I read the last word of one book, I can download another within seconds. I cannot rave enough about mine!!! If you are an avid reader, then I say go for it. Well worth it. No more book storage issues. The kindle holds thousands of books, and if you read one you don't wish to save, you can just delete it.
  6. justthemama

Ok, you gals have convinced me!! :D I'm gonna order one--can't wait to get it! Wish there was a way to convert paper books to Kindle books now! LOL
  7. justthemama

Got it and you all were so right--I absolutely LURVE it! So many great books are free--so many classics that I haven't read since high school and want ot re-read. Yay!

Any idea how to enable text-to-speech? I have several books where it says that's enabled, and I turned it on in set-up so it *is* talking to me, but I can't get it to read the books! I'd love to have it read to me while I sew or craft. TIA!