kids' room..need ideas

Discussion in 'Househould How to's' started by lala, Feb 2, 2009.

1. lala

lala I make stuff

the girls' room is in dire straits. it is not only messy, with a little organization, it is booooring!

what ideas do you have for making this room look cleaner and more fun for the kids? on a really tight budget?

the beds cannot be made back into bunkbeds. painting is an option.

thanks!

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      23.9 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      19.5 KB
      Views:
  2. annb

annb It's like herding cats.

I would choose one or two colors (light blue and light purple?) and base everything around that. Buy some cute fabric (you could even use sheet sets for this) and make simple curtains and pillowcases and some throw pillows for their beds. Paint the walls, but I wouldn't do anything too dark or really crazy bright. I would take down the little framed photos and put them on a smaller wall one on top of the other, maybe the short part of the wall by the closet. Let them pick out a couple posters that are cute and go with the color scheme. I would also probably move the dressers so they aren't right next to each other.

Get some bins or even trim down some cardboard boxes to hold stuff under the bed.
  3. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

Can i see more pics of their room? I'd like to see where the doors are and howlong the walls are. I would definitely separate the chests of drawers and maybe move the beds. It looks like there are too many little things in the room. What toys are there? Could you get a larger bookcase and put toys in bins on shelves?
  4. lala

lala I make stuff

more pics

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      19.1 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      19.4 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      20.4 KB
      Views:
  5. lala

lala I make stuff

few more...the messy closet is the only storage I have so taking stuff out and using it for kids stuff is not an option.

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      17.4 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      16.1 KB
      Views:
  6. lala

lala I make stuff

under their beds is packed full of toys, mostly sorted into boxes and bins.
    I like the idea of a bookshelf between the doors, would LOVE a floor to ceiling cubbyhole style, maybe with the insides painted fun girlie colors, like lavender, light teal and bubble gum pink? oooh, creative juices flowing here!
  7. tikva18

Or maybe move one of the chest of drawers in between the doors and put a book case in between the beds.

Can the beds be perpendicular to each other? one on the back wall and one on the long wall?

did you say they used to be bunk beds? why can't they be rebuilt?

I would take all of the little things out of the room - even the desk and when the room is down to the 2 chest of drawers and the 2 beds, then rearrange. When you feel that the room is balanced, then I'd see about adding in. But I wouldn't add in little things. I'd want them to have some cohesiveness - like the bookcase/shelves with boxes for toys.
    What could you do to the closet? what's currently in there?
  8. lala

lala I make stuff

beds not sturdy enough to be bunkbeds ever again. we have moved too much and they are Kmart beds...kame-apart.

the closet is my ONLY storage so it is not feasible to use it for anything else but household stuff. the kids cant hardly get to their clothes in their now. it bites.
  9. lala

lala I make stuff

here are some pics of the progression (or regression?) of their room.... I left everything as in for pics because I would like some more input as to where to put everything.
    I am trying to make this room look cute without having to buy anything for it...ya know..budget crisis....

paint is easy to come by though, between Freecyle and my neighbors...so, what do you think so far?

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      18 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      15.3 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      18.2 KB
      Views:
  10. lala

lala I make stuff

one more pic. will be putting stuff back up on the walls. I also was thinking about putting up some sort of molding around window to make it look less crappy. cant do much with an apartment window I know. I do have other fabric, though I really love those curtains! got them from an amitymama. the window does have plastic vertical blinds that work well, they are just, well, boring.

as for the closet, i would like to organize it enough so that i can close the freaking door to it!! maybe have a full length over the door mirror on the outside for the girls to play dress up? they need a place for their shoes though, they are currently in an over the door organizer.

I would also like to have room on a wall someplace for a reachable peg hook system for them to hang things. the one on their bedroom door is way too tall, and i bump my head on that stuff sometimes.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      17.8 KB
      Views:
  11. lala

lala I make stuff

ok, update already...lol.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      11 KB
      Views:
  12. juliebelle

juliebelle taking pictures

did you paint the whole room?

i think it looks better with the dressers moved away from the beds...more balance.
  13. lala

lala I make stuff

no, didnt paint the whole room..yet. very much inspired to do so though, especially with the technique I used for one wall. the most recent pics attached. i am thinking that i want to paint the wall with the closet door and bedrom door the same pink color, then paint the opposite walls a very light sagey/celery green.

the mess on the floor is what I have left for the kids and I to go through. I already gave my neighbor a box of outgrown, no longer played with toys.

I am thinking that maybe I should opt for white curtains. :(
    the tie dye looks too cluttered to me.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      13 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      17.5 KB
      Views:
  14. lala

lala I make stuff

took these pics just now..the room looks so dark at night. next step is to find some strands of white xmas lights. possibly some coming my way from Freecycle. My neighbor had the sage green paint..woo hoo!

I am thinking of painting the kids' names above their beds, white curtains, hopefully making a garland with white xmas lights and fake flowers to go on the wall above their beds.

any other ideas? going with sort of a fairlike theme here, without going overboard.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      15.2 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      9.8 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      14.5 KB
      Views:
  15. juliebelle

juliebelle taking pictures

way to go...what do the girls think?
  16. lala

lala I make stuff

they love it so far! I had to keep shooing them out while I tried to hurry and finish the green walls.

they are camping on the couch tonight so they arent breathing in the paint fumes.

tomorrow hopefully i can add some more creative touches!

I never ever thought I was able to be this creative and pull it off.
  17. tikva18

It's looking really good! It seems much more peaceful.