Katie wants to homeschool.

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by mamabear, Feb 8, 2011.

1. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

K wants to homeschool.

She's bored in school. She's always been bored, but she compensated by reading tons and learning with us at home, and she never had much homework or many expectations put on her by her teachers, so she was able to easily meet the requirements of being in school without much stress. And she's always enjoyed the social scene and the routine of going to school.

But in the past month or so she's started a full-fledged campaign to homeschool. Now that it's 7th grade, she has to put more time into doing the "busywork" (and it is, for her) that they send home for homework. She says she can barely manage to drag herself there to go through it now that she's realized it's pointless.

We gave her our dog-eared copy of The Teenage Liberation Handbook (she guffawed at the "send away in the mail for home-study curricula"! how things have changed) and told her to put together a proposal for what her goals were, what she wanted to study, and how she'd get there (curriculum online, courses at school, or what?). She's read the book and she's put together the proposal (haven't seen it yet but it's close to done).

What to do with a kid like this? Besides pull her. ;) She wants to know if she has to finish out the year.

My main issues: we live in a very isolated area and both dh and I work FT. I work from home but still, when she's home she talks to me every other minute about something (in between long hours of being absorbed in a book). I feel like I'd have to take time to transport her places. She has considered going to her school a few days a week to work in the library and have lunch with her friends, but given that her dad is a teacher at said school, I am just not sure how that's going to go over.

And then, we're lucky to live somewhere where she gets school tuition. There are several really awesome private schools that go from grade 9-12. So if she could just get through the next year and a half, I'm sure she'd find a challenge at one of them. I don't know how or if homeschooling for 7th/8th will impact her chance of admission at them. Haven't researched this yet at all, am just thinking out loud.

Anyway, any thoughts? Has anyone pulled an older kid from school? I always wanted to homeschool her, but she wanted to go to school. ;)
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. marjen

marjen Go!

One idea is that when my kids wanted to homeschool, I told them we would start during the summer when school was out, and "test" run it over the summer. Then, if it wasn't what they thought it would be, they'd go back to school just like normal for Sept. As it was, when the realized how inaccessible I really am while working from home full time, they RAN to school in Sept. I was looking forward to the whole process but I'm happy we tested it out first since above all, I want them to be happy.
  3. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

We pulled spinner out during the early part of his 9th grade year. He loves it. He didn't think he would at first and he thought he'd like to go back to school for 11th and 12th grade but he's never looked back. We're halfway through 11th grade at home now and it gets easier as we go along.
    We buy textbooks that he likes and he works out of them, he does math online at Aleks, and he does a lot of extra stuff; working at the theatre, community type classes at a university not far from here, sports, he's planning a garden of his own this summer (that I'm super excited about, normally we get to hear about how weird we because of our lifestyle but he's finally showing interest without being forced)
    The rules in maine seem to be fairly easy going, we just have to show a portfolio with examples of his work and I type up about a page and a half explaining what we did each year. The lady who checks ours LOVES what we do.
    One thing I've done new this year is I've made him do a blog. He does an entry about every week and he talks about his extra stuff that week. He super hates writing and this has turned out to be a good way to get him to get some words down on "paper" without feeling like he's got a real writing assignment.
  4. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Cool, Storm, thanks! :) Excited to hear how well it is going with him.
  5. amyorama

amyorama Amity's Focus Member

I pulled DD out of school in sixth grade. She did a half year PS in eighth, Montessori for ninth, charter/homeschool for tenth, India for eleventh and charter/homeschool for twelth. My only regret is that I didn't creat transcripts as we went along. It is hard to remember what was taught three years ago. I should have kept better records.

I would call the private schools and see if they accept HS students and how they evaluate the propective students. IMO, HS can be very well rounded and have more oportunities than brick and mortar schooled children.

If you both work full time it would be challenging. Not impossible but only you know what you are wiling to do and what your limits are.

Good luck!
  6. amyorama

amyorama Amity's Focus Member

ETA Storm, I love your "curriculum" for your DS. Can you blame him for not wanting to go back to school, lol?
  7. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

I've found the same to be true. Without clocking all those hours at school we've have the time to focus on those subjects that spinner likes.
    We both worked full time for the first two years that we homeschooled and sometimes getting him to internships or classes was a challenge. Sometimes he didn't get to do something that we wanted him to, but I looked at it this way...he wouldn't have had ANY of the experiences if he was still in school, and even when he's doing bookwork at home he's actually learning more. He isn't tuning out someone droning on and on at the front of a room, he's reading at his own pace, he's taking in the information better, when he does need help he comes to me or sawyer and we know how he thinks and we can explain it in a way that works for him, and when he comes to us with something we don't know (he's doing astronomy as his science this year and most of what sawyer and I know about astronomy can be directly related to star wars and star trek, lol) we hit up the internet or our library.
    He's just another smart kid who was bored in school. I was worried I couldn't keep him interested at home and I admit that getting him to do the math and literature that I want is still a challenge (though no more of a challenge than he was in school) but the subjects he likes~science, history, and techy stuff, he is soaring in.

I think bringing katie home for a bit before trying private school sounds logical. Lord knows you don't want her getting to the point where she just shuts down in school, that's hard to come back from. There are places where homeschoolers can have their work turned into official credit hours, a lot of them here do it for college, but I'm sure it would work the same way for a private school.
  8. TeresaLock

TeresaLock Active Member

It sounds like she's very mature, so I'd suggest telling her what you've told us. Nicely tell her that during certain times she needs to do her thing while you work and the conversation has to be kept to a minimum to get stuff done :) Maybe schedule in some time for her to talk in between, so that you both can do what you need to do. Sounds like she'll do amazing at home.
  9. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Thanks, mamas. Great ideas and thoughts and I very much appreciate them!