'k, which Christian churches do not believe in original sin

Discussion in 'Spiritual Discussions' started by Sunflower_Momma, May 3, 2009.

1. IBelieveInFae

IBelieveInFae New Member

I think the UU church rejects original sin. It might have been one of the issues that the Universalists had for leaving the greater communion back when the Nicene Creed first came out. It's been a long time since I read up on that history, though.
  2. froggygarden

froggygarden journeying

This is a great thread. I have wondered a lot about this lately and have been wanting to know more. I am wondering if our reasons for thinking about this are similar.
  3. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

You're correct.

4. DixieChick

DixieChick One Hot Mama!

I attend a church of Christ. We have no "parent church." We are independent. Our church, and others like ours, do not believe in "original sin" as in the concept that because Adam sinned each infant born comes into this world filled with sin.
  5. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

Oh, thank you all for all the information! I'm going to come back to this as soon as I have a break in my morning!

:cuc:
  6. ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~

~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~ Amity's Focus Member

Anabaptists do not believe in original sin.
  7. annsni

I don't think this is true. They don't believe in infant baptism but certainly do believe in the doctrine of original sin.
  8. ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~

Well, I know that *my* denomination of Anabaptist church dooes not believe in original sin. I've always been told that Amish & Mennonites do not...
  9. Sunflower_Momma

We all know that wikipedia doesn't count for any official anything, but it is an interesting summary:

Original sin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, I sort of had a potential ah-ha moment at church yesterday which spun off this question: I think part of the reason I've had such difficulty finding my place in religion is because I do believe in Jesus and do consider myself to be christian, but haven't found anything that feels as if it fits (until more recently).

The church I am now attending does not subscribe to the concept of original sin and believes that children are born divine and free from sin. The leader was discussing this yesterday and it just rings so true for me.

While I do not believe in the Joseph Smith story, I was raised LDS and I think that the way in which the LDS church conceptualizes of human nature, who we were before our conception, and what happens after we die are my beliefs even now. My conceptualization of the basic philosophy of who we are is in line with the LDS conceptualizations whether I believe in the Joseph Smith story or not.

So, I decide that I don't believe in the LDS church and start looking at other Christian churches (because I believe in the Jesus story), but nothing fits and everything feels so foreign even though I tried for years to make it fit and I think it may just come down to this: the conceptualization of the nature of humans. (I really tried: I was far more active in my dh's church the eight years we actively attended; being LDS isn't about the one hour you spend on Sunday, but a culture of your life, so you don't just go for one hour; you participate).

Just the feel from other Christian churches (who, it would appear, all subscribe to the concept of original sin) feels so (no offense please) uncomfortable to me. It is just such a different culture that it feels as if I could never learn that language/culture. I cannot explain how it feels, but it feels completely foreign in a way I will never feel comfortable and my ah-ha moment was that I think it comes down to original sin. And, I'd bet a whole lot that anyone who was raised with the concept of original sin - if they were to decide that their church is not right for them and goes looking - will not feel comfortable in a Christian church that does not believe in original sin.

So, there you go!

I find this very exciting and interesting.

And, I'd be totally interested to hear if there was anyone here who was raised in one and then became comfortable in the other. And, I'd bet that this is why there are so very few people who were raised LDS who end up joining and feeling comfortable in one of the Christian churches that subscribe to original sin.

This is more exciting for me than you guys can understand.
  10. ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~

Original Sin — GAMEO

This link discusses Anabaptists & Original sin - though most specifically Mennonites....

"In summary it may be said that Dutch Mennonitism has rejected the doctrine of original sin for these three reasons, (a) because the term is unscriptural, (b) because Christ has removed the consequences of original sin, (c) because they could not admit that "the new life" (conversion) was hindered by an unfree will corrupted by original sin."

another link...

Appendix B: Age of Accountability
  11. annsni

Here are a couple of quotes I found:

from Statement of Faith of Hopewell Mennonite Church

from BBC - h2g2 - Mennonites
  12. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

I was raised Roman Catholic and I do not believe in original sin.
  13. Sunflower_Momma

Do you still attend a RCC? And, if not, do you attend a church at all, and if you attend a different church, is it one that subscribes to original sin? If not, do you feel comfortable there? As if you fit?
  14. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

No, I do not attend a church currently. I have not participated in a(n) RCC mass since 1990. (I stopped going once I went away to college and only attended a few times in 1990 with my grandmother.)

I was baptised as an adult in 2000 in a Southern Baptist Church and then attended another SBC while we lived in HI. As I continues to evolve and evaluate my beliefs, I found that the SBC was not a good match for me. I have tried a UU congregation here, but there are only about 10 people tops who attend, and I find it just too small for me. I have been investigating the Baha'i faith and actually reconnected wioth a friend from high school who is Baha'i now- but I'm not sure how I feel about that faith either.

I did read about Unity because it sounded interesting, but there are, of course, no churches nearby. The only thing I wondered about was that I had read Unity believes in reincarnation. That may or may not be true, just what I've found in my readings. Maybe I'm just too picky. I am trying to find that perfect fit, and there may not be one. I do like the fellowship of a group, however.

So, to answer your question, finally!, I would not feel comfortable in a church that believes in original sin- BUT I will probably always feel a bit guilty for turning away from a religion that was so ingrained in me.
  15. Sunflower_Momma

cool. Thanks for your answer! I'll be interested to see if and when you find a church in which you feel comfortable whether it is one that believes in or doesn't believe in original sin. Sounds as if it leans toward being more comfortable in one without original sin, but I'll really be interested to know when you find it.
  16. ~*~Seeking*Simplicity~*~

17. hana

hana Active Member

Rebecca, I was raised (not by my parents, but by my sister) in a Baptist church from age 6 to age 17. It was a Baptist-on-the-edge-of-Pentecostal church, and I was very much steeped in the idea of original sin.

I am now UU. I think the first year was an interesting transition because I was transitioning not only what I believed, but also what I knew, if that makes sense. That is some of what I thought was a matter of knowledge was a matter of faith. I'm not sure that I knew that people could just be good people if they weren't led to be good by a religion. Now that seems silly, but at the time, so much of what were told to do was for the purpose of glorifying God, not just because it was the right thing to do. As I read this, it doesn't sound like I've stayed focused. Sorry--my point on original sin is that the way I was raised, it's like the sin we were born with would manifest itself in continued sin until/unless one accepted Christ.

Anyways, as I posted in another of your posts, I know that my relationship to the world is healthier now. I felt a great deal of safety in the faith I was raised in, but the protective shield of separation from others it required, which provided much of that safety, also insulated me in some unhealthy ways.

Oh, here is the element of the American Baptist Association that addresses this:
    10. We believe that Man was created in the image of God and lived in innocency until he fell by voluntary transgression from his sinless state, the result being that all mankind are sinners (Gen. 1:26; Gen. 3:6-24; Rom. 5:12, 19).
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
  18. Sunflower_Momma

:nodyes: and this is what I'm just now at the ripe old age of 39 getting! Isn't it weird? Until really this past year on Amity, I had not realizes that some of the things I thought were common knowledge, were actually a principal of faith that is enormously different between some Christian religions. It is seriously blowing my mind and opening my eyes and makes things make so much more sense.
  19. DixieChick

DixieChick One Hot Mama!

Rebecca, Igrew up in the Presbyterian church. I was always horrified, even at a young age, that the belief in original sin meant, to me at least, that if a baby died it would go to Hell. I was scared.

I do believe that every child comes into this world whole and perfect. The Bible teaches a baptism for the remission of sins, when a child comes to the age of accountability, which is different for each child, and realizes she is a sinner. THEN, immediately, that child is baptized and becomes a full sharer in the glories of Christ and His church.
  20. annsni

Right. What I was saying is that I don't think it's consistent across the board with Anabaptists to not believe in original sin. Some do, some don't. But I don't think that there are many full organizations that do not believe in OS as a whole. You know?