Just got MFW K

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by Robin, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

and I think we are really going to love it. I think I will start it next week or so with Josh and we will take it really slowly for a while (through summer).

I really like the way it looks.
  2. amyincali

amyincali New Member

I just got this to use with my twins. They'll be 5 in June. I'm liking the looks of it so far I hope it will work well. I like that everything for K is included. Less thinking for me. :lol:
  3. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

That is one of the reasons we are switching to MFW in the fall for all the boys. I like that in the K and 1st it is all included and in the others the schedule is laid out all on one page. Just one of the things I like about MFW.
  4. lassie

lassie Happy Potty

Hope you have an enjoyable year! We'll have to report how we are liking MFW!
  5. ~Jenn~

~Jenn~ Guest

Amy, you're here! Yay! Robin, I'm glad you are liking it. I wish I would have put in the effort to make it work for us, but... oh well! I am putting together my own curriculum for the kids this year, but I look at the MFW catalog every. single. day. I really love their stuff (now that you pointed out to me that they go beyond first grade :) ).
  6. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Jenn, sorry I didn't let you know that I got this in the mail. It was here when we got home from our trip and since then I haven't gotten a lot done online.

I think we will really enjoy it. I have been putting my own stuff together for 4 years now. It has worked but really I am looking for someone to do the work for me so I can concentrate on having our school and house run more smoothly.

I know I go over the MFW daily too. Waiting for the new ECC to come out so we can purchase that.
  7. ~Jenn~

~Jenn~ Guest

no problem about not letting me know! I'd love to hear about your experiences with ECC this year. I have a feeling I'll succumb and buy MFW at some point.
  8. jma924

jma924 New Member

If you change your mind and want to buy ECC used, I'm getting ready to list ours for sale. We're switching to Mystery of History...I just couldn't get MFW to jive with our learning styles/daily commitments, etc.

Good luck!
  9. amyincali

amyincali New Member

Are you using anything else for your other kids? I'll have my twins using the MFW K and then I have my 6th grade dd. I've been looking at getting one of the Winterpromise programs for her but I don't know if that will be nuts to try to do 2 things at once. My 4th grader is going to go to public school next year.

What is EEC?
  10. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

i look forward to an upodate.

amy where in MD are u? we r moving there :)
  11. ~Jenn~

~Jenn~ Guest

Amy, ECC is exploring countries and cultures-- the first year of the MFW 2-8th grade cycles.

Ashley, Amy is not too far from me in MD, but closer to where you'll be.
  12. amyincali

amyincali New Member

I'm in Frederick County. I'm probably 40 minutes from Jenn. She's the one that told me about the board here. I haven't been to Amity's much since we lived in CA but I assume the username gives that away.

Where are you going to be living?
  13. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

14. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Here is my plan for next year.

G (4th grade/10yr) will be doing ECC (MFW Exploring Countries and Cultures)
    language arts is the sequel to first language lessons, Italic handwriting, maybe explode the code books, spelling power and math u see for math.

E (2nd grade 7y) ECC, finish Ordinary Parents Guide to teaching Reading, Explode the code, FLL, Italic, spelling power and math u see.

J (K/6) MFW K and I may use OPG to supplement, ETC to supplement and Math U See primer to supplement oh and either HWT or Italic, I am going to start with MFW and see if I need to add anything to it or not.

I think you could do 2 programs. It might be easier if your 6th grader can do some work independently. I haven't used/looked at any of WP things for the higher grade levels. You could use 2 levels of MFW which is what I would do. I don't know where I would start with MFW at 6th grade it might depend on what she has studied in the last year or two.
  15. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Let me know what you have and how much you want for it. I want new but I could probably be persuaded to purchase it used (which dh would love :lol:) so let me know.