June thrifty plans, anyone?

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by mamabear, May 27, 2010.

1. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

I'm really back on on the thrifty/simple bandwagon after a cash flow crunch this month and trying to take on more debt a la our addition has come closer to reality.

Our June goals:

*dh and I need to meet and decide on one-year and five-year plans. I've realized a lot of our issues stem from a lack of cohesive vision about our financial goals. So step one is to come together and discuss and come to an agreement about what those are.

*one decision we have made (I think, the tractor is still up for debate) is to sell off some of our assets, cash out Matt's Florida 401k, and pay off all our CC with the proceeds. We both decided we don't feel comfortable taking on more debt until this is done. So, this is a goal for June.

*set up a budget and stick to it. We still haven't really done this.

*weekly financial meetings. We both agree this needs to be a priority.

*buy only what we really need. We just need to cut back spending! We've been a bit free and easy with it all.

I think that's it. :) Hoping we can rein in the spending a bit and get the cash flow under control.

You?
  2. Plans For Woodworking

I feel I ought to be the newest member below and this is my very first post. I seem forward to chatting with many of you in right here soon. A little bit about myself, I am 35 a long time aged, married and two children. I appreciate woodworking and drawing up plans for woodworking.
  3. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

I have got to get my head back in this game. I will come back later with goals/plans.
  4. Briefaerie

Briefaerie New Member

After a few really good months I fell off the wagon this last month and did a lot of retail therapy(it's been a seriously bad time lately but looking up).

I need to sit with the hubby too so we're on the same page

Check over our budget. We opened a cc through our credit union and moved a huge portion of our cc debt to it...this should lower what we're paying in interest monthly substantially(16% down to 5.9%!) but we're waiting for the first statement

Hang laundry...not all of it just more than diapers

Figure out a food menu...a lot of the spending was food "deals" but now we have to plan to use it up and stop just buying more

Hope hubby can work extra hours during all the vacation time he has coming up

Now in June we do have two things that we can't(won't) avoid...a birthday party and our yearly vacation(a $200 thing so actually quite affordable for a family of 6!). The birthday party is also fairly inexpensive other than I buy the cake instead of making it.

How do you guys stay motivated to not spend?
  5. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    June will be a very telling month for our finances as I am applying for a full time job. If I get it. Our income will go up by 55% and all of the income I bring in minus the three hours of sitter we need per day will go to pay down debt. We intend to sit down and make a plan but it seems fairly pointless to do so until we know where we stand.

If I get the job, we will budget in a way that will have us completely out of debt in 5-6 years (student loans, mortgage, HEL, and our small scale summer remodel). If I don't get the job, we will need to set up a budget and get a feel for how quickly we can pay off debt after we find out what the state is going to do regarding the cuts they are trying to implement.

So, I guess June is a waiting game for us. Trying to spend as little money in June as possible so that we can pay off the van and have some funds on hand when Linda and her family come to stay for a couple weeks at the end of June beginning of July.
  6. naturalmama

naturalmama New Member

My plan is to get back on track financially. We had a savings in place that we were comfortable with finally- for the first time on our life. :lol: But we've had quite a few big expenses like a transmission that had to be rebuilt, a water heater that had to be replaced and ruined our bathroom floor before we realized it was leaking, the floor had to be replaced too etc.... Anyway, I'm so thankful we had the savings for it and didn't have to go into debt, but we need to replace it now.
    We have been sort of flying by the seat of our pants as far as budgeting goes and it's NOT working. :lol: So, time to batten the hatches and get back to the envelope system and just generally cut expenses as much as we can.
    On a positive note, our garden is amazing!! I am so happy to have the fresh vegetables to cut back on our grocery bill. That will help so much. We should be able to cut our grocery bill in half if it continues to do well.

Aileen
  7. stephanielynn

stephanielynn New Member

we are still doing awesome with putting all we can towards our cc debt. although it still feels nearly impossible, the plan/dream/goal is still to have no cc debt by the end of this year.

this month, my only addition to what we're already doing is to do everything necessary to pull out my little 401K $ from my 3 years in the school system.

oh...and i want to list my van seats on the Atl craigslist ($100) and possibly set up a table at the flea market (costs $8) one saturday this month to try to make another $75-$100 to put toward debt.
  8. xt

xt Active Member

We are placing the big bulk food (mostly beans and rice :hahaha:) this month. finally. Looking at the pantry and freezer, we have a ton of other food to work with. And on top of that, I work for produce at a CSA all summer. So that means I'm shooting for $100 a month for groceries for the summer, plus a little more for eating out when we go out of town or after park day once in a while or something.

As far as simplifying, I'm decluttering for various reasons, and I do need to sell some things to help pay for stuff around the house. I'm making more at work than I thought I might, which is great. Between selling a few things and paychecks, I think we'll be able to put in a new door and the fence this summer.

Anyway, nothing exciting.

Just remembered one more thing: I'm working on a design for an envelope system billfold to carry where my grocery money, gas money, and allowance all have sections. I know it sounds silly, but it is something I've wanted for ages. I really liked making a little recycled bike tube wallet for my kid. So I'm making something like that for myself, only a little more complicated, because I'm a grownup with a lot more cards and hopefully more cash than the 12 year old. :p
  9. marjen

marjen Go!

<edited this post as I realized it is not private> We are just trying to survive at the moment - pay all bills, month to month, and eat. Work is slow and the bills have increased for all sorts of reasons. So frugal now to us means doing everything as cheaply as possible.

- plant a garden (around here planting date is June 1st)
    - drive less (easy for us to accomplish)
    - take all outgrown clothes to consignment shop (and clothes bought at garage sales) to earn credits towards fall school clothes
    - pay off van so we can drop comprehensive insurance - this will save us $400 per month alone
    - need to put some money aside for emergency fun
    - change my c.c. type to a lower interest one
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  10. herc

herc Amity's Focus Member

Selling off a ton of stuff, including tackling the attic and the shed. Making a menu and actually shopping and eating off of it. Finishing the kitchen that we started a couple of years ago at this point (not very thrifty other than the DIY aspect, but it will raise the value of the house). Making better use of our space-- getting rid of the guest room and having a bigger bedroom for Simon. Getting the kitchen that is stored in the office out, so we have an office again.
  11. freedomlover

freedomlover ReaderOfThreads

My plan

change lightbulbs all over the house to energy saver ones
    put note on thermostat to not crank up heat when a sweater or robe will suffice (the kids are bad about this)
    put power strips on tvs to flip off when the tvs are not in use (maybe other items too)
  12. annethcz

annethcz New Member

I'm back on the 'stick to the budget' bandwagon. The kids are all starting music lessons in June, and we're going on a (cheap) vacation, so....

*I WILL meal plan
    *I need to not buy any clothes for myself
    *I'm going to stay out of stores with my kids
  13. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

I am another who needs to get my head back in the game, so to speak. I haven't been splurging, so much as just not paying attention.

I will come back asap with some goals.

One thing I wanted to mention right away, though. Stephanie, in case you haven't already thought of this, make sure you plan for a HUGE tax hit for taking $$ out of an old 401K. It is really crazy how much they get you, not only initially, but then the amount gets added to your income the year you take it out, which can bump you up a tax bracket. You've probably already planned for this, but just wanted to mention it, just in case.
  14. marjen

marjen Go!

Wrote an email to my bank and they changed my cc to a diff type of one right away! Now I am sitting at 11.5% instead of 19.5%. That will make is easier to pay off. That was a very quick accomplishment.
  15. hastings

hastings Amity's Focus Member

I'm hoping to get out of survival mode where I don't care what people eat as long as people eat and get back to meal planning and cooking. I don't have a ton of time with nursing the twins where i'm not on the couch and immobile, but I'm thinking crockpot meals should work pretty well. Since its summer I'm thinking things like burrito stuffings and sauces to serve over rice as well as cut up veggies and such that the kids can grab.

Our only debt is student loans, but some of those are unconsolidated and really small amounts (like 1 and 2k,) so we're going to concentrate on paying those off.

I'm looking at a basement of hobby supplies for things I haven't been able to do for most of my pregnancy, didn't do much for the previous 2 years, and don't see myself able to do for another couple of years-- at least not at the scale I was doing it. My goal for June is to start in sorting my fabric and craft supplies with the intention of selling or giving away at least half of it by Christmas. It doesn't sound too thrifty, but dh is considering a storage unit for it, so getting rid of a good portion saves the storage cost.
  16. naturalmama

naturalmama New Member

OMGoodness mama! Those babies are so darling! I didn't know you had given birth yet. I'm so out of it here. LOL But they are totally prescious. I'm so jealous. I want twins so badly. Actually at this point, I'll be thrilled to just have another *one*, but twins would be even better. :prayers:
    Congratulations!!

Aileen
  17. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

I am reworking our budget. I haven't been mindful of our cashflow so things have gotten out of hand.

I am making a plan for paying off our debt (again) and want to implement it starting on June 15.

One of the big things I am working on is my personal priorities and one of those is financial freedom.

We are planning a big vacation for us in July so I want to make sure that we have plenty of cash for that. So our next two paychecks we need to be on top of our spending! That is my immediate goal.
  18. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

1. get back to a cash system.

2. balance the checkbook on paper. should be easy with the cash system.

3. meal plan so that we use up all our CSA veggies (also consider halving our CSA share with a friend)

4. look in to consolidating some debt at a lower rate

5. don't spend reimbursement checks, put them into savings/emergency account
  19. gypsimama

gypsimama in a state of flow

This one gets us ALL THE TIME!! Seriously. Rob gets reimbursed from a trip and we rarely use it the way we want to.

I'm going to work on this one as well. :)
  20. Kbsmama

Kbsmama Active Member

Setting a budget and sticking to it. Our food budget has been completely out of control, but just looking at Mint, I can't really tell what was food and what was "extras" we bought at Meijers and Costco. And there were plenty of those too.

Hanging laundry out as much as possible.

Planning and implementing summer housecleaning schedule including jobs delegated to kids.

Planning and sticking to a meal plan.

Doing a brief, where were at, what we are wanting to spend money on, etc. (budget) meeting with DH weekly.

Figure out if I'm still getting a summer class because NOTHING has been posted regarding summer classes. The fact that I've seen nothing reassures me a bit, because usually.

Plan activities and fun (cheap) and regularly do stuff with my kids.

Strawberry picking the end of this week!!!!

Start thinking about Christmas, begin crafts, handmade gifts now.
    --same with birthdays (some that have already occurred, most which are in the fall and winter).

Sock as much as possible into savings!!!