January Pantry Challenge 2011

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by Champagyne1, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Champagyne1

Champagyne1 New Member

Anyone else want to join me? I know we are starting late but with teh holidays and all.....

I have a large pantry and 2 freezers and a fridge and a lazy susan and a cupboard of canning and they are all FULL and yet I "can't figure out what I am making for dinner" so I stop at the damn store all the time!!

My challenge is to eat out of the freezer and pantry for the rest of the month as much as possible and spend LESS THAN $300 on groceries for the remainder of January including dairy items and fresh veg.

For US that is a challenge because we have 4 ppl plus a baby full time and 3 step-kids 50% of the time and 2 dogs and 2 cats... BUT.

I am stocked on pet food.
    I am stocked on baby formula (long story, still bf'ing but found one she will drink, YAY!)
    I have lots of rice, starches, noodles.
    I have lots of canned tomato sauce, frozen meats, etc.
    I can bake :D

I paid cash for Xmas but it killed my savings brutally so I am doing this to not hit was is left. :)

Who is with me??
  2. xt

xt Active Member

Wow, kid, that sounds almost exactly like our situation - custody, pets, and all. We bought a few bags of excellent quality dog food at the Humane Society when the cats got their vaccinations, so we're well stocked on that, at least until the boy dog needs his shots.

I'm trying to spend as little as possible on bringing food in. I've bought under $10 in groceries so far, and we keep eating like queens from our freezers and pantry. In part, we are trying to use up the gluten-containing foods so we can be seriously gluten free for a while and see how it feels. So, yeah, with the exception of our freezer meal cooking fiesta, we're not buying food. We will be doing a freezer meal cooking day with our friends, and that will cost something, but it will be insta-dinners for a long time, and well worth doing.
  3. alexismom

alexismom Lovin Life

I made one more trip today, and am done shopping for a bit for the msot part. We will need milk and dog food, and some fresh produce but other than that:

We have a freezer full of meat.
    We have tons of rice, pasta, etc.
    We have another freezer full of bread, buns, and cheese
    We have enough toiletries for this month plus several more

So, we should be good to go. I will still probably use my budget to build my food storage, but as for meals I am cooking out of my pantry/freezer for the month
  4. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    I am so up for this. My situation with how much food we have is very similar to yours. Two full size freezers full (trying to figure out where my 1/3 of a beef that I get on Mon. will fit), a floor to ceiling by 8' wide pantry full of food plus bags full sitting on the ground from our last Trader Joe's trip (2.5 hours away so we stock up when we go). I also have a ridiculously full main fridge/ freezer and over stocked cupboards. My co-op order that comes on the 12th will round out my dry goods.

My goal is to eat from the pantry and freezer through the end of Feb. and to only buy milk, eggs, and fresh produce. My intent is to keep my bill under $50 a week.
  5. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

I missed this thread before but I am doing this for jan and feb. Trying to just buy my weekly milk/eggs (standing order) and veggies for the most part, with a few extra things in there if they will help me use up my freezer and pantry stash. I purchased a half hog and 2 dozen chickens from a farm this fall, so I am focusing on those mostly. I do buy a little GF beef to add in there for variety, and to help get my iron up. I also have lots of frozen fruit from summer, and various things in the pantry I have stashed that need to be used.

I seem to have a lot of trouble switching from 'stock up' mode to 'use it up' mode :eek:

Working on my menu for the week now.

So far:
    Sun - roasted chicken, pan fried sweet potatoes and kale, salad
    Mon - black beans (cooked, frozen) with leftover SP + Kale mixture - either burritos or something else? (*also making chicken stock tomorrow, and hopefully granola)
    Tues - black eyed pea and ham soup, cornbread
    Wed - Pancit w/ leftover chicken

That's all I've got so far. Working on it!