I've lost it - what math program do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by tikva18, Aug 19, 2010.

1. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

I think I've lost it - I can't keep any of the programs straight. The school where I want him remainstreamed is using SRA Real Math. I've asked, but haven't gotten an answer yet, if we could borrow a book for the year.
    If you were to pick a math program - what would it be?

I want this decided yesterday. LOL

I know some of you gave me recommendations, but I can't find them now and my head just hurts... help :eek:
  2. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

I think your math thread was titled, "Help". :lol:

We use Teaching Textbooks and I love it. It is all on the computer (cd-rom). It gives an animated short lesson, some practice problems and about 20 problems. It grades them as they go, if they get it wrong, it gives them a second chance, they can ask to have a problem explained to them, it records grades, and gives quizzes.
    It starts at 3rd grade, but definitely give the placement test. Caroline (my "2nd" grader) is doing 4th grade.
  3. tikva18

rofl - my head is seriously spinning. They mail you the cd rom? as opposed to them keeping track? I just want to do the right thing here...
  4. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

Teaching Textbooks is hands down the best math we've ever used.
  5. tikva18

Okay, I think you guys have sold me. I'm going to do - barring dh complaining, teaching textbooks for math, LLATL for language arts (skipping obviously religious material), zaner bloser for handwriting (I know there's some in LLATL, but this is a very weak area), and probably time4learning as a supplement - thus covering social studies there and maybe science? the school where he'll hopefully be going doesn't emphasize either of those too much... I may still look for another program for social studies. He is currently in a science camp (thank you Mom and Dad!). I've got to push dh for joining the J and then we'll sign up for violin. Did I cover everything?
  6. harvestgirl

harvestgirl escape to chimp eden!

The least I can do is speak out for those who cann
    ditto, we use it as well.
  7. nanci

nanci jelly belly

We love TT too!
  8. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

Yes, there are 4 cd-roms for one school year and a huge spiral bound workbook with all of the lessons and problems written. We have NEVER used the books. But, then everyone here is a very visual learner.
  9. amyincali

amyincali New Member

I'd go with TT as well. If you can borrow one of the books the school he is going to next year that might be helpful as well. You can check and see if what he's doing is close to what his class his doing this year. If there is a weak area you could find something to supplement with for that area.

My one beef with TT is that the Grade 5 is very light on fractions. It seems to wait until Grade 6 to get into them more and my dd really could have used a lot more practice with them. She's going to 7th grade at public school and the math practice sheets we got from the school are very fraction heavy and she is having a hard time with them. She really dislikes math in general though.
  10. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

I agree with Teaching Textbooks - but make sure you do the placement tests and put him in the grade where he should be. if he aces the placement test, that level may be too easy for him - and you may have to go up one or two levels.

The other one I highly recommend is ALEKS -- Assessment and Learning, K-12, Higher Education, Automated Tutor, Math It's self paced and it aligns with each state's standards.
  11. tikva18

We're in the clear for that as we're going into 4th.

I have to say, I'm SO excited about doing this! I'm really looking forward to this year.
  12. hana

hana Active Member

Can I ask a question here, Rivka?

For those who've used two or more of Teaching Textbooks, aleks.com, and EPGY, which do you think is best and why? Thanks for any insight.

Good luck, Rivka. Clearly, I'm still working on this myself. :)
  13. 3boysnagrl

We have used EPGY, ALEKS and TT.

I think it's different for each kid, which would be best, that is. Shawn and I decided that since 2 of our kids got accepted into EPGY that we would go with that for them. It will hold some weight for college entry, they keep records, the program is rigorous, etc.

ALEKS - we love this for Austin because it's self-paced and it's all contained right there. It is also a recognized program... so it will do him well for college entry, should he choose.

TT - we only used one year of it. Not sure why we didn't like it - but it didn't do much for us. I know so many other families who love it... but it was just eh, ok for us. better than Saxon (for sure!) but eh.
  14. hana

hana Active Member

Thank you, Heather. We currently use EPGY, but I'm always tweaking, lol.
  15. ~Jenn~

~Jenn~ Guest

We didn't like TT either. Dd was using MUS, but we switched to TT for 5th grade because the computer aspect really appealed to me. She wasn't crazy about it, and when we switched back to MUS for 6th grade she had a TON of catch up to do. I currently have my 3rd grade ds doing the 5th grade TT and it's even too easy for him.
  16. tikva18

I will be giving him the placement test for 4th grade next - so we'll see how that goes. I don't want it to be too easy.
  17. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

For us, I have a bunch of very visual-spatial learners and the teaching style matches them perfectly. I also have one that just cannot for the life of him get FACTS down. He rocks on concepts and has zero trouble with fractions and geometry, but 6x7? Forget about it.

So, it is perfect for them. Two are doing their grade level. One is two grade levels above.
  18. 3boysnagrl

We have tweaked everything except the EPGY math. The Stanford name can carry some weight with college entrance, and I know that the two who are using it can contact their tutor any time for help. Nathan is about to move up another level - to Algebra - and I think he will be having to schedule time with his tutor for that, I think they may even have online classrooms for that course, too. I know it's a good program - and that carries a lot of weight, too.
  19. 3boysnagrl

And that is the key... finding something that works with that particular child's learning style and needs.
  20. ~Jenn~

~Jenn~ Guest

absolutely! the beauty of homeschooling! :)