It's time to declutter ladies!!! CHECK-IN!

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by TulaneMama, Dec 16, 2010.

1. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

Here is your assignment, should you choose to accept it!

Choose ONE HOT SPOT in your home. However, only choose something that, at this point, you feel you can start and finish. If small projects are for you, then pick a drawer, even a book case. For those al little more adventurouis, perhaps a closet, kitchen cupboards, or even a room.

Here is what you need to do. Go at your own pace...but know I will be checking in on you all and asking for updates and will call. you out...LOL...if you fall behind. (Lovingly of course)

1- CHOOSE YOUR SPOT
    2- TAKE WITH YOU TO YOUR SPOT 3 BOXES OR GROCSRY BAGS OR TRASH BAGS
    3- DESIGNATE ONE BAG FOR TRASH, ONE TO GIVE AWAY, AND ONE TO SELL (IF YOU WANT TO SELL)
    4-START BY THROWING ALL TRASH, BROKEN ITEMS, PENS THAT DON'T WORK, ETC...AWAY (walk bag to trash can and THROW AWAY IMMEDIATELY), repeat with another bag if necessary.
    5-PULL OUT ITEMS THAT YOU WANT TO GIVE AWAY OR DONATE
    6-PULL OUT ITEMS TO SELL (IF YOU ARE DOING THIS STEP)

I am going to check back in later today and the days to come and post the next steps. I just need to know how fast you all want to go. I am happy to hold your hands and work through this as fast or as slow as you need to go. SOme of you can do it quickly, others will have a hard time parting with items. If, ever, you do not know which bag to put an item in, post about it and we can give you advice. However, typically if you do not know where to put it it needs to be gone!

GO GET 'EM GIRLS!!!!!
  2. starkisses

starkisses Amity's Focus Member

I'm IN!! Just to keep giving me the nudge to chuggin' along
  3. momof3tots

momof3tots Remember me?

I'm in. I'm going to start with my bedroom closet. The left side. LOL. That may sound silly, as my closet isn't that terribly big, but it is hellacious. I will take before and after pictures....your jaw will probably drop
  4. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

I'm in. Still have to finish the boys' room - but it's almost almost done. I just did my bedroom closet not that long ago, but eventually I'll restraighten it out. After the boys' room I'll be doing Tehila's. Again, not a major declutter, but a serious deep clean. I don't have time on my hands to be sitting - although I seem to be doing a good job of that - as my parents arrive on Monday - although we won't see htem until Tuesday. I also have to do the room where I am right now.
  5. alexismom

alexismom Lovin Life

Im in. My spot is my office, but it will probably take me all weekend to finish, as I have to do a party this weekend and we are having friends over tomorrow. Not to mention the fact that it is an absolute nightmare, plus it is my storage space for all my Christmas presents ATM.
  6. xt

xt Active Member

Will work tomorrow. Just saw this. :) I will do kitchen counter and dining room.
  7. tikva18

Regardless of what I post on this thread, I must have my main floor presentable by sunset tomorrow afternoon. So, my kitchen will be clean - as will my living room and dining room. I've already decluttered once in the hallway and mopped it (but grr, someone left snowy dirty footprints there), and cleaned the bathroom. I hopefully will get this room (where my computer is) semi-straight before then as well. My problem is that nothing stays done.
  8. houdini

houdini New Member

I'll do it, but I have to start after I sleep. :)
  9. TulaneMama

great ladies, but Jody and Deayne, you didn't tell us what your HOT SPOT to tackle woulod be.

Today I want a report on how the bag sorting is going...and if you are ready to move on to the next step.

DOn't take too much time thinking about what goes into each bag. we can do that later.

TRASH
    SELL
    GIVE AWAY/DONATE
  10. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

I did the living room yesterday. Moved all the furniture to make room for a tree. Also cleaned all the stuff I found under the couches when I moved them lol. Totally clutter free in there now. Especially since I had to ditch the end tables if there was any chance of fitting a tree in there.
  11. TulaneMama

good job danielle!!!
  12. houdini

houdini New Member

Aack! I only finished a very small part of the job. At least I started. It's only a closet, but as I don't really have anywhere to put any of it, I ended up just moving things around. :( Need to purge.
  13. LuLu

LuLu Active Member

well it's high time i get to declutter. I got 2 bags of trash and 2 bags to donate from the bedroom. Going to do the office tomorrow.
  14. TulaneMama

Good job shannan - our those bags of trash outside in the trash? Put the donate bags in your car and drop them off the next time you are out.

DEAYNE...no stress...just a little but at a time. You moved things around. Think about this. Have you worn the item in the last year? If not, let it go as hard as it may be. Even having some bags sitting around for a few days is better than just putting one thing here, two things there and so on. put the items in their appropriate bags. Are there clothes or shoes that have seen better days? pilly? worn? something that you wouldn't wear out? keep a favorite thing or tw if you want to to wear in the house. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! CHUG ALONG ME LADY!!!

How are the rest of you doing? DO you hvae your bags/boxes filled yet?
  15. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

I'm here! This weekend I want to declutter the bookshelf and area near the TV. Everyone's everything gets dumped there. We are also going to deep clean the couches (under cushions/move them and vac under), dust the cathedral ceiling and change 2 light bulbs in the track lighting up there (involves a very long ladder and dh), and put up the tree.

Dh is taking a big bag of shoes - maybe 15 pr? - to donate this morning as well as taking in the recycling.

Next up, but reality is it will probably happen over break: decluttering the books in the basement.
  16. bubbles

bubbles New Member

I am jumping in late but really need to get to work on the office. It is overwhelming so I will start w/ the desk. Hopefully that will motivate me to move to another part of the room. Gifts are currently stored there and it is an unmanageable disaster.
  17. tikva18

I have the boys' room done - although the shelves in the closet aren't totally organized, but it's good enough. I also did Tehila's room. I'm working on my room and the back room where my computer is. I plan on finishing the back room right now. Wish me luck; it's getting late and I'm sick.
  18. starkisses

starkisses Amity's Focus Member

well I didn't put an actual hotspot but I've pulled 2 bags of trash from the house, and filled 3 more rubbermade totes + 2 packed full large trash bags not sure if I noted somewhere that when Caden and I went through his room we got 2 garbage bags + 1 big ole box of stuff out.

I'm not sure if I'll get to put the closet organizer in the hall closet or not tonight but tomorrow forsure.

If you want a true hotspot, I did clean out the medicine cabinet in the main bath ( cadens/guest/house ) and got a small collection of various things unneeded.

I'll try to follow the rules LOL I'll think where my hotspot for tomorrow will be and start and complete before moving all through the house.
  19. mamagael

mamagael Moderator Staff Member

Did my dh's clothes today. 1 bag and 1 box of trash, 1 bag of giveaway, 2 new with tags to give to my dad for Christmas, and 4 ebay items!!
  20. golden

golden Active Member

I cleaned the junk drawer, and processed the hot spot pile of papers and such that lives on the kitchen counter. Some went to the trash and lots just plain old didn't belong there. I even processed and put away that pile - tools back to the basement, etc.

With Christmas coming, it would really be smart of me to go through the toy shelves in the playroom one more time to see if I can free up some space for new things that will need a new home.