It's as official as it's gonna get - haha unless I freak out and back out

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by Redterra, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Redterra

Redterra Just me, doing my best

We're going to start homeschooling next year. There, I said it out loud! Whew. It's what we've hoped for for so long, but I didn't expect the opportunity to happen this soon and now I feel overwhelmed. I can't even begin to google. That would = MORE overwhelmed!

Any practical suggestions of what to start reading, where to begin to prepare, etc.? My goal is to follow a similar curriculum to what our school follows, just in a more creative, flexible way. As a family our interests are strong in reading and creative writing/journaling, history, science, art, music and we hope to have a very active approach to learning - getting out and doing things, going places as much as possible.

And to note - Homeschooling = first grade for Levi and activities for 3yo Silas so he feels a part of it too.
  2. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

I always recommend "The Well Trained Mind" as a good start for reading about curriculum.

We absolutely loved Story of the World (same author as TWTM) along with the activity books - the give lots of ideas for books, activities, arts, writing, etc. That covers much of Language Arts if you use some of their suggested activities.

Congratulations!
  3. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

Congratulations!
    That is a great age to start homeschooling. :D
    Where you go for resources will partly depend on your educational philosophy, teaching style and your child's learning style.
    (aka WTM is NOT where I would go. :lol:)
  4. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

Oh yay! I would probably start by reading the 'Learning At Home and Beyond' forum at MDC. There are so many different types of homeschoolers there that if you lurk around and click on links, you are bound to happen upon things that you'll like. The 'Alternative Learning' forum here is great too, it just isn't as active. I think homeschooling takes lots of trial and error too, or at least that's what I keep telling myself. :lol:
  5. ~Jenn~

~Jenn~ Guest

That's what I was thinking too. You're probably going to get as many different answers to your question as there are people homeschooling! I personally love the Charlotte Mason philosophy. There's even a free curriculum here: AO Curriculum AmblesideOnline.org
  6. Redterra

Redterra Just me, doing my best

MDC - is that mothering dot commune?
    I've been scared to join over there, but if you say so, I will and go lurk ;)

I think at first I'm going to have to start with a more disciplined method of homeschooling, to establish some good patterns. Levi pushes every singly boundary that we set - exhaustively! What I've seen lately is that we need more consistency in our parenting and will need even more so as we start schooling. Well Trained Mind and Charlotte Mason have been philosophies I've lightly looked into - along with lots of other light looking, so I'll start reading there for now.

It's hard for me to let go of all the things I'd like to love about school, but the things I don't like are paramount. He's only in kindergarten and already he's starting to resent school. The public school environment in Georgia, and very specifically in our county is high-pressure. They push and push these kids and for a lighthearted, easygoing kid it's no big deal; but for Levi, who takes everything so seriously, he really feels the pressure and takes it personally.

My hope is that I can keep learning fun and exciting for him for a long time!

Thanks for the responses, I'm so happy to be seeing the mamas who are here in this forum - I feel like I can get great trusted advice!
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  7. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

Just needed to add that the reason I always recommend TWTM is that it either resonates or does not - so it's a quick way of discovering if this one particular style is for you. It's easy to find at the library, and one only needs to read the age-pertinent sections to understand the philosophy/approach. Some other approaches might require more leg work in figuring out if it's for you. But WTM either resonates or does not... easy way to cross something off the list.

I've looked into almost everything out there at least once (most things I have looked at/tried a couple of times)... and some styles/approaches require a lot of research/reading and can be difficult to understand how to implement.

Anyway, I wanted to put that out there, that I think we all believe that no one way will work for every family. And there are a LOT of approaches out there, each with benefits and drawbacks depending on your own family's needs/desires.
  8. sweet~potato

sweet~potato Active Member

I agree to hang out on various homeschooling forums, see what other people use and do searches to see what looks most appealing to you and your dc. When my ds was little, I loved all the printouts at enchantedlearning.com and the starfall.com website helped him a lot with learning to read.

Good luck and have fun!
  9. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

Excited for you!!
  10. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

That makes a lot of sense. :D I could tell from the website that the approach wouldn't work for us, but I do know lots of people that have read the book and use bits and pieces of it.
    Classical education is pretty much 180 degrees from the hands on, project oriented, literature based approach that we use.
  11. amyincali

amyincali New Member

I didn't read TWTM until I'd been homeschooling for quite a few years. I really like a lot of their recommendations. Most of the books I'd read in the past were more unschooling and I finally figured out I am not an unschooler. Not anything wrong with it but it just is not my thing.

I've tried so many different curriculums over the years. I rarely stick with anything more than 1 year. We're doing MFW right now which is a mixture of Classical and Charlotte Mason and seems like the best fit so far. I always like to look at other curriculum though.