Is it wrong to feel sorry for someone?

Discussion in 'Spiritual Discussions' started by amyorama, Mar 22, 2010.

1. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

Exactly what you said.

I struggled with this topic a bit while in Ethiopia. Things are entirely different - there is no way to compare. So I had to let go of any value based judgements I was carrying in the back of my head. It was so neat to see this vastly different culture from eyes of non-judgement and comparison. Sure, they live differently, MUCH differently... but it certainly doesn't make them better or me better or anything.

I learned so much about love, empathy, compassion last week. In our culture, these people have nothing. They (working people!) carry water to their homes so they have clean water. Yet, they have internet. They drive cars without seatbelts or many traffic laws (people walking in the street, vans swerving in an out, finding whatever way they can around the other vans) but yet have not many accidents. They beep horns - but in a way to let you know they are there, not our HOOOOOOONK GET OUT OF MY WAY style. And what mattered most to that culture was OBVIOUSLY their love for each other, things just didn't have the value that they do here (or rules/regulations).
  2. houdini

houdini New Member

I look for empathy and compassion in the people I like to surround myself with. I certainly don't feel there is anything wrong with that.