Is it way too late to put in a veggie garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by momof3tots, Jun 24, 2009.

1. momof3tots

momof3tots Remember me?

I have been so overwhelmed with life this spring, and back to work full time, I barely have time to do anything, let alone garden. The weeds are up to my waist atleast in the flower beds and I'm so embarrassed. Of course I have my berry vines doing wonderfully, as usual, but that is it.

So, I am in Central Illinois and want to do just a small garden (we only have a small yard) Is it to late to plant the following?

tomato plants
    pepper plants
    melon seeds
    lettuce
    cucumber seeds
    broccoli
    cabbage
    beans of some sort

What else can I do?
  2. thea

thea Active Member

Tomatoes and peppers you can still put in. Also broccoli and cabbage, and probably beans. For melons and cucumbers, find out when your 1st frost date is, check the #of days to maturity, and see if you have that much time left. For lettuce you might actually want to wait a bit. It likes cool weather best. You definitely can have a veggie garden this year, though. 2 years ago we moved on July 5th and still planted a few veggies the 1st year.
  3. Korwynne

Korwynne Mama of Miracles

I went with seedlings last year when I got my garden bed around the 4th of July.. I didn't have a huge yield, but it was a cool summer - and I got some :)
  4. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Yep, what they said - go for it!
  5. Audreysmama

Audreysmama Active Member

Chris,
    You need to get those plants in the ground now. I would wait to plant lettuce until it gets a bit more cool or closer towards fall (August maybe?) YOu can plant cuke and beans now, not sure if you have enough time for melon seeds and cabbage and broccoli I have no idea about. I have a pretty large garden for my yard and love it. Feel free to ask any questions.
  6. Claire Berry

Claire Berry New Member

I just planted some, so we'll see!