Is it too late to start CD @ 15 months?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by noeyjeanne, Apr 4, 2005.

1. noeyjeanne

noeyjeanne New Member

I'm so sick of spending all our money on diapers only to have the kids poop in them and throw them away. I feel so bad about filling up garbage dumps with so many bags of dirty daiper. My dd is 3 and is not yet potty trained and my ds is 1. What information do i need to start CD. I'v never changed a CD before. All i know is that there are two parts the foldy cloth part and the outer part, but that's it. how many would i need of each. My kids both fit in size 4 huggies. is it alot of money to start would it cost less then a another year of spoisies? is it really hard to keep up with laundry? Do you change butts near the toilet or wash them out later? should i start with just buying a few used CD to see if i can do it? I think my dh will drop out of the little diapering that he does do if he has to deal with more poop. what do you do if you're out and about for a while? some many question maybe a should read a book. Well if anyone wants to comment i would really love it. does anyone have a daiper service?
  2. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

No, I definitely don't think it is too late to start. Personally, I would buy a Motherease lot on ebay. I would find something with some onesize diapers and airflow covers. You can use them for both children. I would START there and see how things go.

All you need to do once the kiddos are on solids is to dump the diaper out into the toilet. Just shake out any poop. Put the diaper in a pail (you can even use a plastic garbage bag to start). When your diaper pail is full or every two days, dump the diapers in your machine. Do a COLD rinse. Follow up with a hot wash/cold rinse using about 1-2 tablespoons of detergent. NO FABRIC SOFTNER OR BLEACH! You can wash your covers with the diapers or with clothing. When you are out and about, just toss the dirty diapers into a bag (a ziploc or even a grocery bag). Put them into the pail when you get home.

There is a little bit of a learning curve with cloth (just a few days) so don't get discouraged right away if things don't go perfect.

Emily
  3. huskrkid

huskrkid Got Yarn?

It's never too late!!!

I didn't start cding my dd until she was 19 mo. I started out with prefolds & bummis whisper wraps. Easy peasy.

You are lucky to have 2 in roughly the same size diaper. At least you should be able to buy the same diapers & find what works for you. Good luck!!!
  4. meco

meco New Member

Never to late to start. Buy a few diapers to try. Like a Wonderoos or Fuzzi Bunz.

I live in an apartment with a co op laundry, and I do not use a service. :)

Go for it!
  5. juliebelle

juliebelle taking pictures

I converted a friend who just started cd'ing her daughter at 16 months old. She loves it and is so glad she started.

I'm a fuzzibunz girl and those are my favorites...so that's what I reccommend...but it's because they are soooo easy. Whatever you get..if you take good care of them..you should reap some return when you're done!
  6. MonsterBabyMama

MonsterBabyMama New Member

I really jumped into cd-ing when my older kids were 1.5 and 3. I used them to experiment for sizing and absorbency as well as some really strange ideas that I had when I first started sewing diapers. I loved it though! I had always tried using the crappy gerber prefolds before and ended up only using them when we couldn't afford disposables.

If you want to try it, make sure you get absorbent diapers that are narrow in the crotch...like 6-7". It's easiest to use AIO's and cheapest to use prefolds and wool covers. There are a lot of wahms out there who still offer less expensive wool covers that are well made and work great! There is no need to pay over $20 each.

Before my kids were in underwear, I washed diapers every two days. My "stash" was very small and consisted of a few AIO's, a few fitteds, a few prefolds, and usually 2 or 3 wool covers. That is for one baby, so for 2 I would double it.

The wool covers can be hung to dry if they are just wet. It sounds gross, but the lanolin found naturally in wool doesn't allow for bacteria to grow and when it dries out it won't even smell. If it does smell, it's time for the cover to be lanolized again (that's when you soak it in a lanolin-based soap to replace the lanolin and help the cover to be waterproofed again.) I usually wash my covers anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks. Oh, and several wahms are now making lanolin soaps for washing wool covers.

Dealing with poop....many people actually keep a spatula near the toilet to scrape off toddler poops, lol! I've never done that. My mom used the dunk n flush method, so I did something similar: I kept a specific pail in the bathroom, filled it w/ water and swirled the diaper until anything loose came off, then dumped the water into the toilet. Sometimes you have to do it more than once...but you don't need to get poop on your hands and don't even really have to look at it if it turns your stomach!

I have a diaper pail and dump the whole thing into the washer on wash day (which is like once a week now). I use half the amt. of detergent (arm & hammer), do a soak/wash/extra rinse and toss everything into the dryer. It's EASY. And yes, it saves a lot of money.

Here are some tips:

*add 1/2 cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle to reduce smells and kill germs
    *use 1/2 cup of baking soda in the wash for stain removal and to keep diapers smelling fresh
    *use Diaper Buddies (found at http://www.thesoapdeck.com - a wahm) in your diaper pail to keep odors at bay
    *use eucalan woolwash or a similar wahm product for wool diaper covers ( http://www.fernandfaerie.com sells some)
    *use cloth wipes!! you can just toss 'em in with the diapers...no big deal and saves even more money