Is anybody already planning for next year?

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by chrissymama, Feb 17, 2010.

1. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

I'm just starting to think about next year, and it is so much fun! I love planning and looking at all the great stuff available, making lists and more lists, and daydreaming about all the possibilities.

Anybody else?

Next year I'll have a 3rd grader, and a Kindy/1st grader (turning 6 on 10/1), as well as the 2 little guys (who will be 3.5 and 1 next fall).

I am pretty sure that we're going to stick with a Waldorf approach. I have a 1st grade curriculum already, and will be deciding between Live Ed and Christopherus for 3rd grade. Then I'll buy a bunch of supplies :heart smirk: and books for all their ages.

On the other hand, you all are intriguing me so much about MBTP. Hmmm....
  2. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

I'm trying to plan. I think we will be sticking with Tapestry of Grace, because our year has really gone well.

However, we're moving to CA and there are quite a few options with charter schools - where they could provide $$ for materials, lessons, activities, etc. I am seriously considering a couple. That is how I am planning. Trying to decide if we should do the charter, or homeschool independently, or what our other options are there.

I think we'll continue with Tapestry for our history and reading guides, and some of their writing. We'll also be using the science Real Science 4 Kids - possibly chemistry, but not sure yet. THAT would depend on whether Austin is ready to do the high school level one. I think he's close to being able to handle it, though.

I also am looking into some activities for the kids. Austin really wants to take guitar lessons - and I think he really could be amazing with some real lessons. Nathan - not sure, but he's talked about wanting to do some type of art lessons/classes. Adam - really not sure. Lauren, I would love to get her into some dance or gymnastics. She's taken hula since we moved here, and it's very much a part of who she is, so we may look for more hula. BUT... then I am looking at all that and thinking - WOW that is a lot of running around. Ideally I would find some things for the kids to do together. So I may end up looking for more class type of opportunities.
  3. gypsimama

gypsimama in a state of flow

Just this weekend we visited a Quaker school that will be opening for it's first year in the fall. The class size will be small and very much like homeschooling away from home. I'm torn. I really like the idea of homeschooling so much more than I like homeschooling yet it's so good for one of our kids. I also don't see myself keeping one child at home and the others at school.

Long answer to your question...yes we're thinking about it and have no idea what we're going to do. :lol:
  4. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Yes we are planning. I am actually looking into K12 for G next year. I am very torn about it and still don't know what I am going to do. He will be in fifth grade. Then E will be in 3rd grade and J will be in 1st. Really confused about what to do next year. If I sent J to ps then he would have a friend of ours for a teacher and she is awesome so it is tempting to send him but then I don't know if it is really what would be best for him.

If I keep them all at home then we we start the first of a 4 year history cycle with Ancients. I am planning to use SOTW as our spine. I have a plan for our read alouds and for science I "think" we are going to use Elemental Science Life Science. LA we will continue with the things from PeaceHill Press since they are working well and we are enjoying them. Math I am not sure, we are using MUS and ALEKS right now and I really, reallly like ALEKS so I may have both of the two older boys using it next year and use MUS for J.

So yeah I am planning but I am not sure what I am doing. :lol:
  5. chrissymama

It sounds like we're all kind of in the same place right now- thinking and pondering and trying to figure out which direction to go.

Heather, I bet you'll be pretty busy with family time next year too! :heart smirk:

Kaight, That is so exciting! I visited a Quaker school in our old city and LOVED it. It was so so wonderful!. What do your kids think? Change can be so hard, but if you think it's the right thing to do, then give it a try. If it isn't as great as you'd hoped, you can always make another change!

Robin, So, you're thinking of just sending J to school? What does he think? That sounds like a tough decision!
  6. 3boysnagrl

:heart smirk:

That is a HUGE factor. I don't want to overschedule us. I think Austin is to a point where he needs more instruction to improve more with his music. So I think that is realistic. It also depends on if we are able to find a relaxed homeschool group with varied ages - something for mainly social stuff. If we found THAT, along with an active church, I think we would be more than busy - but not overly so. Plus, we aren't sure of dh's hours at his new job. BUT... for the first time in our marriage (15 years this summer) we will have 2 vehicles. So... it won't be such an issue to get kids places if he has to work weird hours (which he will).

I want to spend most of our time really enjoying each other and getting settled in as a family with Gabby. Plus, we don't know if she will need any specialized care - therapies, etc.
  7. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

We will continue with MBTP next year, I just need to figure out what to do with Libby. She will graduate from Scottish Rite Hospital's dyslexia program after two years this May. We will have all kinds of time on our hands! :lol:
    I am contemplating having them all do the 10-12, but greatly modifying it for Libby.
    I can't see sending Caroline backwards to do it with her since she is doing so well in the 9-11, but I know that Libby will have issues with some of it, so I am kind of torn.
  8. froggygarden

froggygarden journeying

We will be doing 1st and 3rd grades next year and have a 3 yr old and the new little guy. I am going to use Christopherus as the backbone but since we just did first grade last year I am going to use different stories. I love this blog and will be doing something close for the letter stories next year.
    Road To Joy: First Grade
  9. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

The only reason we are even considering it is because of the teacher. I really waffle on it. If he was in school I would have a lot more time to focus on the older two boys which I feel like they need right now. But J is doing really well at home. I think more than anything we need a very rigid daily routine for school in the mornings and to be honest I stink at rigid structure. The older two boys are much more flexible and J needs lots of structure.

So I really don't know what we are going to do. I don't *want* to send him to school but I am struggling with whether or not it would be best for him.
  10. SnowWhite

SnowWhite New Member

I'm all done planning for next year, though there's "wiggle room" and a few loose ends for reading/literature.

We'll do:

WinterPromise Adventures in the Sea and Sky for both Joshua and Andrew for history, science, Bible, literature, and crafts/activities (including the Younger Learner Guide)

BJU Math for both

BJU English for Joshua's Writing and Grammar, with bigiqkids.com for spelling and vocab, WP readers, Reason for Handwriting.

Pathway Readers Learning Through Sounds and readers/workbooks for Andrew, along with First Language Lessons, Write About Me, Pentime Handwriting and a few odds and ends.

God Made Music and Meet the Masters Art for both.
  11. Tap dancin mama

Tap dancin mama Amity's Focus Member

I haven't planned anything yet. I'm just trying to make it through this year. ((sigh))
  12. Chels~

Chels~ Moment by Moment

I have a pretty good idea. The used sales start up pretty soon around here, so I like to have a "To Buy" list ready in hand.

Here is what I have in mind (please excuse my notes):

Grade 7:
    Reading:
    Progeny Press Books and Guides (Middle School List)
    Internet scavenger hunts (free) Education World ® Internet Scavenger Hunts
    Books from Library

English: Rod and Staff Grade 5 (Own)
    Every Day Edits (Free) Education World ® Lesson Planning Channel: Archives : Every-Day Edits
    Fact Monster Finds Education World ® Fact Monster Archive
    Writing: ??????

Spelling: Spelling Power (own)
    Spelling City (Free) SpellingCity.com Home Page
    Spelling workbook??

Math: Teaching Textbooks Grade 7 $149.90

Gr. 4
    Reading:
    Progeny Press Books and Guides (upper elementary list)
    Internet scavenger hunts (free) Education World ® Internet Scavenger Hunts
    Books from Library

English: Rod and Staff Grade 4 (own)
    A to Z Edits (Free) Education World ® Lesson Planning: Animals A to Z Archive
    Fact Monster Finds Education World ® Fact Monster Archive
    Writing: ???????

Spelling: Spelling Power (own)
    Spelling City (Free) SpellingCity.com Home Page
    Spelling workbook??

Handwriting:
    Happy Scribe Copy Work (Own)
    Copy Work From on Online Sources (free)

Math: Bob Jones Worktext Grade 4 $19.00 ???
    Teaching Textbooks Grade 5 (Own)

Health: The body book for girls (own)

Both:
    Math Drill: Math Trainer online Math Trainer - Multiplication
    Math-u-see online Math·U·See Drill Page
    Math Drill Oswego City School District Math Games
    Times Tales (Own)
    Flash Cards

Science: Apologia Human Anatomy $32.95
    Science in a nutshell kits (Own)
    Inside my Body Lapbook (own e-book)
    Bite Sized Physics Force Book (own e-book)
    Bite Sized Physics Sound Book (own e-book)
    Rainbow Science? (own but not complete)

Nature Study: Handbook of Nature Study by Comstock (own on computer)
    Harmony Art Mom Nature Lessons (free) Handbook of Nature Study

History: SOTW 4 Book $16.95
    SOTW 4 Activity Guide $32.95
    SOTW Audio Volume 4 (own)
    This Country of Ours (free): AO TCOO Contents AmblesideOnline.org
    A history of US by DK Books $30.00

Geography: Challenging World Geography (own)
    Geography A to Z (free) Education World® : Lesson Planning Channel : Geography A to Z Activity
    Where in the World is Mrs. Waffenschmit (free) Education World ® Lesson Planning: Lesson Planning Channel : Mrs. Waffenschmidt Archive

Map Drill: Outline maps at Outline Maps (free)
    Drill Daily different regions till memorized

Computer/Typing: Kiran’s Typing Tutor (Free) Free Typing Tutor

Critical Thinking: Mind Benders (Own)

PE: Activities 3X’s Week

Resources would like to have:
    All Through the Ages by Christine Miller 3rd Edition
    Story of the US by Joy Hakim books 2 and 3
    Genevieve Foster Books
    English from the roots up flash cards
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  13. Dalila

Dalila New Member

I'm currently planning for this fall actually. I want to start homeschooling my 4 year old. Technically, I've already started, but it's hit and miss right now. I'm just doing worksheets and reading stories. Some days we don't do anything. I just want to get him used to the idea of sitting down each day and "going" to school."
    I plan to use a montessori curriculum I found at newchildmontessori with some waldorf mixed in. I'm not big on following any one educational philosophy to the T, so ours is going to be an eclectic mix.
    I have a blog about it at It ain't easy being green
  14. Charity

Charity Amity's Focus Member

I've actually purchased most of the books I'll need for next fall. Just a few things left to finish up my purchases.
  15. chrissymama

bumping this back up as I'm trying to finalize my decision.
  16. harvestgirl

harvestgirl escape to chimp eden!

The least I can do is speak out for those who cann
    me too... thanks.
  17. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    This may be too late or off topic a bit, but I wanted to add in that I wasn't that impressed with Live Education for my 3rd grader. Not that I don't LOVE the material, but there are very few instructions on how to teach it.

If you have a strong basis in Waldorf already, then I think it could be a wonderful program. But if you are starting out (like me) and have experience in public school education (like me) it is really hard to wrap your brain around where things start and finish.

Rainbow (the author) doesn't have page numbers, or titles that you can get to when he says things like "You'll understand more when you read the section on Noah and the Ark".... NOTHING that tells you where that bit can be found! So there you are, not knowing how to teach the lesson (or just confused and wanting more info) and he says there IS more info, but you have to look through every single book you have to find it. (The 3rd grade year comes with 7 books.) Yeah... frustrating!

So, although I found the last 6 months working with this curriculum completely inspiring and wonderfully engaging, I will be getting Earth Schooling from now on instead. Much gentler on those of us that don't know our way around this pedagogy yet.
  18. chrissymama

Val, I felt pretty much the same way about Live Ed. Honestly though, I am starting to feel that way (to a lesser degree, but still) about pretty much all the Waldorf materials I have seen. I am torn because I love so much of Waldorf, but I don't really feel capable of doing it justice right now. It is SO teacher (mama)-intensive, and I am just not able to put that much into it.

How do you like the Earthschooling materials? I have considered it.

I really think we are going to be moving away from full on Waldorf this year- for my sanity.

kids here, have to run.
  19. 3boysnagrl

I've made my decisions. :)

Independently homeschooling, no charter.

We will be continuing Tapestry of Grace. We got through 1/2 of year 1 - hey, the second half of this school year was, well, stressful. So, we will continue on. This will include literature, history, writing.

The kids will continue with the math programs they are using - and I will be adding in level appropriate "Life of Fred" for them as well. Also, we picked up some Kumon workbooks for Adam and Lauren to work through.

We are going to finish up Real Science 4 Kids Physics - and move on to Chemistry.

My Mom got me a couple of fun books: Philosophy for Kids and Psychology for Kids. I will be doing some things from those books as well.

Looking into classes put on by the parks and rec department, too. :)

Oh, and we have some fun field trips planned: Railroad Museum, Jelly Belly Factory, Zoo, Old Sacramento, Children's Museum, Redwood Forest, Yosemite, something dealing with the gold rush (maybe even pan for gold), and so much more. :)
  20. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Sounds like a fun year!