Irritated by cloth diaper comments

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by LatteLover, Mar 18, 2005.

1. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

Why, oh why, do people who have never used a cloth diaper in their life like to tell you how disgusting they are, how you are a "slave to the laundry".... well add about a zillion comments in there. I mean really. IF you have used them, and hated them, that is one thing. But I keep getting these comments from people who have never once used a cloth diaper. I just don't get it.

Emily
  2. ~MamaCharly~

~MamaCharly~ Moderator Staff Member

Oh I hear ya!

Ewww that's disgusting. You must do a ton of laundry. You wash your clothes in the same washing machine, Yuck. :rolleyes:

I always say to people, so when your kids get sick on their clothes you throw them out? When child/baby gets sick on your carpet you get a new one? :shake:
  3. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

When i lived in New Mexico someone accused me of squandering water on my cloth dipes. so, i totalled our monthly water usage and ours was 1/2 - 2/3 less than ANYONE I asked. comparing same sized houses and even families with one extra kid. I landscaped with native low water plants, and generally watched our water usage, and high efficiency appliances. We did showever every day...

I can't stand when people make strong judgements accusations without accurate info.

I love my cloth dipes-they are so much nicer and sanitary than sposies:)they are not gross at all.

My BIL thought they were gross so I asked him if I could use his trashcan for my toilet. He did not think i was funny :rolleyes:

~nak~
  4. ZandLsMom

ZandLsMom New Member

Yup, I get it quite often too. It's annoying. Of course, it's NEVER from my family b/c both sets of parents CDed their kids. My SIL would CD if her DH was up for it, but alas...

I was told how gross it was and how much trouble it was and how crazy I was. THEN my friend saw DS's dipes, and JUST HAD TO HAVE SOME! She's addicted and very sad that her last child is nearly pottying on the potty every time.
  5. Empathic~Heart

Empathic~Heart Doing the best I can!

A revolution is required now. Not a worldly revolu
    Well, we all KNOW how pristine adult underwear is. :rolleyes: I can't imagine washing my clothes along with underwear, I can't even imagine using the same machinery!

I'm curious to know how many people who think it's gross actually wash their hands after using the toilet? Anyone up for conducting a poll the next time someone makes a rude comment? :D
  6. LatteLover

Well, my comments are stemming from lunchtime yesterday. DH and I and his co-worker(friend, sorta, maybe not now) all went out at lunch because his friend needed to buy a new laptop. DH and this guy are going to Atlanta in a couple of weeks to compete in a computer nerd competition ;) LOL Well anyhow, I made a comment about how I was trying to help set up a playdate/potluck for our natural parenting yahoo group here in Boise next week during spring break. Suddenly, the co-worker (lol I just bumped him from friend status) jumped in, well what is natural parenting. Truth be told, I didn't feel like explaining myself because I wasn't feeling well and didn't feel like it, but I said, well, we just co-sleep with our babies, and breastfeed, and use cloth diapers and delay our vaccinations and those types of things. I was going to leave it there. But oh no. Anyhow, this guy had a lot of negative comments (dh later said he was beligeriant -sp?- and that is true) about bascially everything. The fact of the matter is, I don't care if he doesn't think it is POSSIBLE that there is any danger in vaxs. I actually do vax my kid, but hello, I at least look into it. His comment was 'well what are you going to do if your kid gets smallpox?'. Um, hello! I simply replied, well the same as you since we don't routinely vaccinate for SMALLPOX in this country (does he honestly think that they vax kids for smallpox? I kinda wonder thinking about it now). And then "so you probably don't take your kid to the doctor either then." I said, yeah, we do, but she has only been sick twice in her nearly four years. This is coming from a guy whose daughter has CHRONIC health problems, ear infections etc. And then, oh he had to go on about the diapers. As we are literally sitting down to eat lunch... "so when your kid takes a huge sh*t you..." and then a big lecture about how WONDERFUL Luvs are. I told DH he owed me a big one for not totally letting this guy have it (I restrained myself only out of DEEP love for DH since he works with this guy and kinda has a friendship with him). He told me he was very proud of me for being so nice when this guy was being such a jerk. So, cloth diaper lecture yesterday AND there was quite the cloth diaper thread on my parentsplace expecting thing the other day as well that really irritated me. Although, I did get an out of the blue email yesterday from a girl I knew a few years ago and she is now pg and remembered all of Gwen's cute cloth diapers and wanted to know good resources. ;)

Emily
  7. MommytoTommy

MommytoTommy Active Member

:rolleyes: umm they're ignorant
  8. DixieChick

DixieChick One Hot Mama!

I find a well placed, "Wow, it must be really tough for YOU to do all that laundry." I use this for all sorts of things. Doesn't really matter what they think since they aren't doing it. Tacking on a nice,"It is just SO much safer for my baby that I don't mind the extra work" seems to shut them up as well!
  9. ~MamaCharly~

~MamaCharly~ Moderator Staff Member

Oh the part about the small pox vaccine made me LOL :hahaha: The Guys a real genius huh :rolleyes:
  10. Hazel

Hazel New Member

ignorance is bliss, I guess

I get the "you cloth diaper?!?! OHMIGAW--how do you deal with the messy poops?" I just tell them "It's no big deal. You deal with a lot of messes as a parent--and once the kids' poops are solid, it's easier to clean up." Otherwise, I let them them blather on about something they know nothing about and laugh about it. My baby (dd #3) had a severe reaction to Pampers--Luvs, Huggies, other generic dipes were okay, but the Pampers did a number on her poor bottom; blister-like rash all over. (DH bought the dipes as our "backup" stash when dd goes to mil's house occasionally)--suffice to say, I now have some Pampers dipes looking for a good home, lol. Dd's cloth diapers cleared the rash up and I am never buying Pampers again. I love cloth diapering--I just wish I had more diapers! lol
  11. ChantingMama

ChantingMama The Divine Miss M

Well, I am one who used sposies, and thinks cloth (if *I* had had to do the cleaning!) is sooo ewwwww...BUT! My mom cd'd all of us growing up, so I did my fair share of cloth diaper changing and washing of my little sisters stuff, so I think I have a fair idea of what is involved...does that make me qualified to make an informed EEEWWWWW? :D

Murali
  12. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

Yeah, you can say ew. :)

I understand the ew factor. Not all poop is the same, ya know. I can swish around the nastiest diaper but a rock hard pile of dog crap activates my gag factor like nothing else. Dh is just the opposite. LOL.

Most people I encounter are so perplexed by the idea of cloth diapering that they rarely have a comment. If anything it's usually, "you use what kind of diapers?"

Deer in the headlights, all the way.

Katie
  13. LatteLover

OMGosh. The thing is changing ANY diaper is yucky. I am sorry... you don't see the poop when you change a disposable? Um, yeah, you are still dealing with poop, whether it is a disposable or cloth. And considering disposable diapers were the only kind that shot poop up DDs back and onto her clothing, I think I would rather deal with poop on the cloth diaper. Diapers are gross. They all are. But what I really think is gross is poop wrapped up in plastic sitting in people's kitchen garbage cans. Even when I used a disposable diaper, I always dumped the poop into the toilet.

Hm, it HAS been nice not to have to change any diaper for over a year :) LOL

Emily
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  14. mum2tori

mum2tori Keeping Austin Weird

See I have a seperate washing machine JUST for diapers. Honest. It only gets used for diapers because I don't want anything *nasty* touching my beautiful diapers!! :shake: :shake:

:hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

Actually, I've gotten very few negative comments over the years. Most people are curious and a lot of them think its great. :) I've had much more nasty diapers when we used disposibles than ever with cloth. Lots more blow outs in the 4 months DD was in disposibles than in the almost 4 years we've used cloth. :)
  15. Mama2HoneyBears

Mama2HoneyBears Home, Home on the Range..

LOL! I have a friend who if her child did a poop in their underwear she would just throw them out. I just had to shake my head.
  16. MommytoTommy

MommytoTommy Active Member

I've known moms who have done this as well. I actually knew someone to throw out onesies if the good ol' sposie failed. :rolleyes:
  17. annb

annb It's like herding cats.

Yea they are so disgusting. Kind of like the way a room full of used disposable diapers that get to stay on Earth forever and ever are disgusting, only not so much.

One of my best friends thought I was crazy (before she had kids) but once she was educated on the subject, she used cloth diapers most of the time.
    I've convinced many people to at least give them a try. Most people who are open to hearing about it will at least give it a try (including my friend who wouldn't try a cloth pad if it saved her life!). So that's the flip side, once you've got them in a converstion, a little education can go a long way.