I'm so interested in this...

Discussion in 'The Vimala Alphabet®: Reaffirming our noblest trut' started by MamaNurse, Sep 12, 2006.

1. MamaNurse

MamaNurse Chocolate Snob

Driving an SUV powered by Biodiesel made from wast
    Just not entirely sure I understand how handwriting connects to the mind stuff. I'm totally open and curious, though. Is there a religious component to the teachings?

DS is 7 and is just starting to be interested in writing. He doesn't have any specific style...he just writes....and not all that well I might add. LOL. I'm sure I can re-teach him if we decided to go w/this program.

Something else interesting is that I see that Vimala is visiting Seattle to speak and I'd love to attend. It's just tough to work out the logistics of child care w/a husband who works extremely long hours and 3 small children (one of which is an attached nursling). We're about an hour N. of Seattle.

Rambling thoughts, I guess. I wish this and the holistic learning areas were more active so I can learn more.

I did sign up to the yahoogroup, but it's really quiet.
  2. SunMaid

SunMaid New Member

Mind and Handwriting

Hi Amy,

I haven't posted for a while, but your post caught my attention.

I'm not speaking strictly from Vimala, but with my understandings of Sensory/Neurological Integration issues. I think they come from the same place, though.

As kids develop, there are certain movements and activities that help them develop different neuropathways. These translate into better coordination and better connections between the mind and body.

How we write (as well as all the other movements of our body) reflect what's going on in our mind and how well our intentions (e.g., to draw a circle, to thread that needle) translates into action. So, for instance, if a child has problems with proprioceptive activities (like riding a bike or ice-skating), this can be strengthened by doing certain exercises (one example is belly-crawls if memory serve) to help integrate those neuropathways involved in those activities.

From what I understand, the gist of Vimala writing is that if we learn to make changes in our handwriting movements, we're learning to strengthen those pathways that need work. It doesn't seem like much because we're just using our fingers on a pen, but writing is actually a highly coordinated activity requiring the use of brain, arm, fingers, eyes, and even the muscles used in posture. For children, even simple activities like threading a shoelace through blocks aids coordination and neurological development. So, I think this is how Vimala applies as well.

Hope this helps.
    Sun
  3. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

ok, now the way you described it makes so much more sense than anything else I have read about it. Thank you.
  4. MamaNurse

MamaNurse Chocolate Snob

Driving an SUV powered by Biodiesel made from wast

Hi Sun,:waving:

Thank you so much for your response. Are you using the program w/children...or yourself?

Amy
  5. SunMaid

SunMaid New Member

Vimala in our home

Hi Amy,

We do use it in our home, but in a modified way.

I first did Vimala myself. I noticed some changes in my thinking--long-time patterns where I thought of something as a problem but then suddenly, my point of view shifted and it wasn't a problem anymore. I haven't kept up with it lately, but there are still a lot of Vimala-ness in my writing.

My 9-year-old daughter seems to prefer a mix of Vimala and D' Nealian (sp?) cursive. Not sure why, but I haven't pushed it. After homeschooling her the past couple of years, I realize that she learns quite differently than, say, my 6-year-old who loves and thrives in her 1st grade public school classroom. It's hard to say what changes it's effected in my 9 yo because we've been doing a whole lot of other things to ameliorate her sensitivities--diet, herbs, exercise.

Best,
    Sun