If you have a front loading washer, what is your diaper washing procedure?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by Lydiasmomma, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Lydiasmomma

Lydiasmomma And Levi's mom too!!

When Lydia was in the breastfed poop stage, we had a top loader, and I just threw everything in, poop and all, and did a rinse and spin cycle before my wash. I don't know if there'll be enough water in a front loader to get all the poop washed out though, what is your experience? Thanks!
  2. Pridemom

Pridemom New Member

We're all done with diapers, but this is what I did:

1st wash: warm water wash/warm water rinse-with soap in wash
    2nd wash: Hot wash with soap/cold rinse/extra rinse

I put vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser with the second wash.

That's it.
  3. Amethyst

Amethyst New Member

I do the same except I do the first wash cold/cold to try and remove stains. I think a front loader cleans dipes better than a top loader even though there is less water.
  4. Maiden Comfort

Maiden Comfort boobie juice maker

I throw them in on the reg cycle (warm/cold) and do an extra rinse. I don't rinse them or anything before hand. I'm using Danica's front loader detergent balls for them right now, but I'll just use a tiny bit of reg soap (HE kind) when I run out.

ETA: THis method DOES NOT work on non- exclusively bfed babes :) Once I introduce solids, it changes.
  5. lisahas2cats

lisahas2cats Guest

I do a cold prewash cycle, usually with vinegar but sometimes with BacOut. I stop the machine after it agitates (in its front-washer way) a few times and let the dipes soak overnight.

In the morning I finish the prewash cycle, then change it to a hot/cold long cycle with extra rinse. I was using just 2 TBSP of detergent but was getting stink till I upped my detergent amount by about double. I also use some vinegar in the fabric softener compartment.

My routine hasn't changed much since starting some solids...DD has poops ranging from harder than peanut butter (rolls right off) to peanut butter (eww) to almost like BF poops. I'll sometimes run an extra cycle without detergent, but not often.

HTH
    Lisa
  6. Ocelot

Ocelot New Member

cold wash extra rinse soap
    hot wash extra rinse no soap
  7. Shoshoni

Shoshoni New Member

Stuck in the neverending cycle of cleaning
    We just wash a long wash with hot and extra rinse. We are going to get a softening/filtration system and toploader soon. We aren't impressed with our washer. :(