if i dont feed every 2-3 hrs i get clogged HELP!

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by brandsyjo, Jan 17, 2010.

1. brandsyjo

brandsyjo New Member

ok so i need to know how to extend my feedings.. expecially at night he can sleep up to 7-8 hrs but i still have to get up to pump. if i dont feed every 2-3 hrs never fails im clogged. it happes once a week and its really starting to make me want to give up all together... what am i doing wrong??
  2. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

Hi, how old is your baby? We can't really answer any other questions until that's answered.
  3. xt

xt Active Member

What kind of bra are you wearing? When my babes were very small, I had to be very careful about wearing a relatively loose, non-binding bra.
  4. hematite

hematite New Member

on kellymom she talks about taking lecithin. How old is your baby? Does he have a good latch? We need more details mama!
    Misty
  5. brandsyjo

brandsyjo New Member

ha ha sorry he is almost 3 months... and ive tried tight nursing bras, loose nursing bras, and ive tried the sleeper bra from motherhood. i have yet to try an underwire (ive never been a fan). he looks like he has a good latch (fish mouth)but my nipples are also constantly getting roughed up... when i first started to breastfeed he made them bleed, but the nurses all said he was latching properly.. and i do use a sheild. this last time i got clogged on both sides.. i started to pump on one side for like a day to let my nipple heal up.. and when i pump i get 2-3 oz every time and the longest i let it go that day was 4 hrs. but the other one i didn't even miss a feeding??? i always switch sides, the football hold he doesn't seam to nurse very well when i do that so i really dont. i cleared one side but this other is not taking any techniques.. hot compress, cabbage leafs, pumping, having him feed on that side every time first...i dont want mastitis!
  6. tikva18

The more you have him nurse on one side the more milk that side will make; therefore, keep switching sides so he doesn't make one side overproduce. I don't have experience with this, but I'm sure others will chime in - has he been checked for tongue-tie? That could cause you to have issues.
    What do you mean by clogged up? a clogged duct? have you tried massaging that side while he's nursing from it? also, if you don't already have, please go get lansinoh and apply it to your nipples for protection; no need to rinse it off - it's safe for him to ingest.

:hug: to you and congratulations on your new baby!!!!
  7. tracey

tracey no worries on my mind

A quick glance A big chance My heart beat like a d
    subbing to respond once i have caught up on sleep. i am an LC.

a feed every 2-3 hours is appropriate for a baby that age. the human milk protein is a short chain protein. it digests in 70 minutes, versus about 3-4 hours for a cow milk protein (long chain protein.) from what you are telling us, just in terms of time between feeds, that is fully appropriate...expectations for longer are unrealistic, esp if he has 1 break a day of 7-8h for sleep at night. that's just not how breastfeeding a human infant works.

i have some suggestions for soreness, etc...but again, i've been traveling and would rather answer once i have had some sleep.
  8. xt

xt Active Member

why are you still using a nipple shield?
  9. brandsyjo

brandsyjo New Member

thanks everyone! i was told that after two months .. that at night to feed only when he wakes up or else he would be put on a schedule of always waking up to be fed.. or else he would never really sleep through the night. i still would have to get up ever 3 hrs because of engorgement to pump so it still wasn't like i was missing a feeding... do you think i could be using my pump at the wrong setting i dont have it to high because of my sensetive nipples. yes by clogged i mean clogged milk ducts, i finally just got the clog on the other breast out out after two days ( i had to have my husband do it gross i know! the pump and the baby just wasn't getting it out!). i am still using the sheild, i tried to take him off of it but a two days later i had ruined nipples and a clogged duct..so i thought it was maybe because i wasn't using the sheild. and my doctor actually prescribed me dr newmans nipple cream since the day i started breast feeding... so i have been using that. all the advice is great im up for anything!
  10. tikva18

I'm unclear why you are pumping. It's really unnecesary unless you are going to be working and giving bottles. Don't stress about a schedule. I think feeding on demand is best - that way you know that your baby's needs are being met; he's happy and you're happy. Like Tracey said, it's normal for him to be nursing every 2-3 hrs around the clock. I think your nipples are going to be sore until you get them toughened up - nursing through the shield is not going to do that.

I'll step back to let Tracey answer your questions since I'm not an LC :)

Welcome to Amity! and join us in the marketplace. We'd love to get to know you better!
  11. miraclemom

miraclemom Amity's Focus Member

You need to get yourself to a lactation consultant ASAP. If he's making you bleed without the shield he's got a poor latch and that needs to be corrected right now. I'm guessing once you get that fixed everything else will fall into place. You can find a local IBCLC at the La Leche League website.
  12. mamajandtheboys

mamajandtheboys Amity's Focus Member

nipple shield reduces milk transfer enough that if you don't pump after every single nursing you will have milk still in your breasts. You *have* to empty your breasts to avoid plugged ducts. His latch needs to be evaluated because at this stage of the game, you should not be having sore nipples. A good latch is asymmetrical; baby's chin should touch the breast but the nose should be away; kind of like a "tipped up" look. You should feel a "drawing" or "pulling" but no pain or pinching.The shield needs to go. They should be used only in extreme cases -- if baby caanot latch due to inverted nipples, etc. A good lactation consultant can help you wean off the dhield and ensure you have a proper latch.
    The ILCA website has listings of all the IBCLC's in your area. I'd strongly suggest investing in a few good hours with a strong LC.
    :hug: