I thought I would put together a list of neutral or secular curriculums......

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by Chels~, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Chels~

Chels~ Moment by Moment

Added some new resources :)
  2. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    Thank you for putting this together. When ever I have a question about something I always come here to see if you have it first. It has really helped me. I thought I would let you know. :)

Val
  3. Chels~

Chels~ Moment by Moment

Thanks Val.
  4. Chels~

Chels~ Moment by Moment

Added some more resources.
  5. Kathy

Kathy Member

I am using this for history this year. The people who created it are Christians. The only thing I notice with reguard to that is comments they have in their book desriptions. Like for the book The Birch Bark House.

Books and Materials for Topic 2

The Birchbark House (by Louise Erdrich) 271 pages
    This is a book about an Ojibwa girl, set on an island in 1847. You will learn about the Ojibwa, their customs, beliefs, foods, responses to the rhythm of the seasons and more through young Omakayas and her family. Though white people are beginning to settle nearby, life continues to go on much as it always has. Then a terrible sickness (smallpox) visits the tribe and changes things forever.

There is something refreshing about this book in the way the young Omakayas and the other children are portrayed. Both good and ugly feelings (and thoughts) are shared honestly. Omakayas is a likable character and yet you see the parts of her character that most people hide from others. It reminds me, in a way, of the Little House books in which Laura shares her selfish or “grouchy” thoughts. This provides plenty of opportunities to discuss “moral” issues and Biblical values (see our guide / notes for this book), like when Little Pinch lies or Omakayas justifies her selfishness.

*If you are not comfortable with reading about another culture’s spiritual beliefs to your child you will want to skip this book, as these are interwoven throughout the story.

There are plenty of instances of grandmother offering tobacco to the spirits, talk about visions, stories of ghosts and so on. These instances however, can be a good opportunity to reinforce and contrast your own beliefs with your child while promoting an understanding of other cultures.

You will want to be careful though not to cause any confusion in your child by covering these concepts. Some children may feel drawn to experiment with these sorts of things while not understanding the spiritual consequences. If you feel that this might be a danger or concern, then don’t read this book OR skip over these parts on the fly while reading aloud (which I did for a few items). I’m NOT a spiritual advisor, just a Christian mom, so if you have any questions, please consult your liturgical authorities

OR

Page.13 Witchfire , pakuks and the like –explain that this would be like some people’s beliefs in ghosts, etc. People often believe certain things when they don’t understand the science behind it (i.e. the thunder beings shaking the earth by walking).

It has a schedule that you can print out, but don't really have to follow.
    Anyway it is heavy on reading books. Has a list of books with many being optional or subsitute something else for the same topic. There are some great print out and links as well.

There is a science curriuculum as well. I have been waiting for it to be tweaked more before I tried it out.

Kathy in Maine
  6. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

What is the name of the curriculum that you are using, Kathy?
  7. Kathy

Kathy Member

Well duh! I forgot to post the website. Even after checking over what I posted several times.
    Welcome to GuestHollow.com!

I am still using this but I really don't care for her comments on some of the books. So I just take what I can use.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  8. clane

clane Bookish Mama

It used to be Los Banos site; it has a new name. Thought I was going bonkers for a second there.
  9. Kathy

Kathy Member

10. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

I have another one to add. I met his lady at the Houston homeschool conference last weekend and she was aboslutely fascinating! She is new to the entire homeschool thing, having been a professor of music history at SMU for years. This is designed for middle-high school students, but I think we are going to go ahead and get it because she is a very entertaining speaker.

Silver Age Music Home
  11. Chels~

Chels~ Moment by Moment

I added them on.
  12. Kathy

Kathy Member

13. MarchingFlute

MarchingFlute New Member

Intellego Unit Studies

I would add Intellego Unit Studies. They are completely secular and outstanding! I have used several of their studies and am waiting for more. They teach to various learning styles and work well with my 4 kids. Can you tell I'm a fan?
  14. bluejanuary

bluejanuary Guest

Awesome list, thanks! One addition I thought of is Brave Writer. We've loved her program Jot it Down for ages 5-8 and are so far enjoying The Arrow for slightly older kids.