I think I need to start this

Discussion in 'EFT, Emotional Freedom Technique' started by Maura, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

I am always afraid to try new things, so bear with me.
    I have been experiencing very severe panic attacks, although I do take my meds as prescribed. I think it stems from being so alone here. Dh has been gone for 6 months and will be gone for 11 more, and I have no friends here. I have one, but she thinks panic attacks are imaginary, so that keeps me from talking to her about them.
    Any suggestions on what to do first- I guess I'm afraid I'll trigger another attack, but I am desperate for some relief!
    Thanks in advance:)
  2. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Welcome Maura! You're in the right place. This is an amazing, supportive group here.

Do you have any experience with EFT? Ever seen it done? If not, you can check out the stickies on the top of the page to get to some youtube videos of tapping. You can also go to emofree.com and request the free guide.

You can start with a basic tapping phrase such as:
    Even Though I am having this anxiety attack, I deeply and completely accept myself.
    ET I am so scared, I deeply and completely accept myself.
    ET I am all alone, I deeply and compeltely accept myself.

If any specific fears come up as you start with the basics, tap on those. Breathe deeply. Cry. Let yourself feel the emotions and let them transform.

Another good idea is to focus on the physical sensations in your body. For example:
    Even though my heart is racing, I can get through this.
    Even though I feel shaky, I can feel o.k.
    Even though my head feels like it is about to explode, I can keep tapping and let this pass.

You might also be helped by using Rescue Remedy which is available at every health food store. This is a fabulous, gentle but powerful, remedy made from spring water and flowers specifically for dealing with acute anxiety.

I hope to see you here as you heal and grow with us.
  3. Rhea

Rhea Tickled by the view

Hey, I've had an anxiety attack or two - definitely not imaginary for the person going through it! :D The last time I had them my husband was out of town.

Natalia's suggestions are great. Have you noticed any triggers? If so, you could tap on those. I know I was starting to dread going to sleep (mine ocurred at night) and tapping before bed would probably have helped a lot (but I didn't think of it!)

Rhea
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  4. Percy's Mom

Percy's Mom New Member

Maura - I have such compassion for your situation. I am raising a child alone and went through severe depression and anxiety for a long time. I know how that counting time feels and it is not a good feeling.

I'm so glad you posted here. The important thing for you to remember is that you CAN get through this. Each and every time I didn't feel like I could I clung to that knowledge and it actually helped me through the worst of it.

EFT truly saved me in the darkest of days. Once I learned the basics I used to lie in bed and imagine myself tapping because I didn't have the strength to actually tap. Imagine my surprise when I later read that imagining it was an acceptable method. The brain is triggered by our thoughts.

Hope you keep posting here. It is a warm and welcoming group. I am new but I do feel welcomed and I hope you will too.
  5. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

I have lurked here many times:)
    Linda has been the guiding light for me to actually post here.
    My background is probably similar to most- emotionally abusive childhood, anxiety and depression not full blown but always there. In 1993 I had my first anxiety attack. I was agoraphobic for almost a year. I started taking Paxil in 1998. When I was pregnant with my two daughters I was too sick to take it, but I started back with it soon after each delivery because I was having attacks hourly and I was miserable. My dh is in the military and I know that feeling completely alone is really causing the feelings of anxiety/depression. It would be nice to have one "safe person" to call in an emergency, but I don't have that and need to be my own safe person for a change. I'm hoping this will do it. The "breathe deeply" part scares me because the worst symptom for me with the panic has gone from being the racing heart to the suffocating feeling. I actually feel as if I am dying. I wish I could just rationalize my way out of it, but once I feel like that I am, well, panicked. :lol: And forget it if I am driving while it happens- it's a nightmare.
    So, that's the awful truth.
  6. Rhea

Rhea Tickled by the view

Hi Maura,

The first ones for me were after my first child was born. With mine I wake up feeling like I can't breath, can't get enough air. I've never had them while driving, that must be very scary.

Cool air has always helped me. Does it help you at all?

Have you done any tapping on being alone and stuff?

:big hug:

Rhea
  7. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Maura. Stick with us! The worst IS over. Now you have a tool for dealing with the anxiety and you have us for support. Start tapping on anything. Even on nothing. If you are having an anxiety attack, just tap. Even if you don't get the points right, keep tapping:
    Even though I can't breathe, I deeply and completely accept myself.
    Even though I feel like I'm suffrocating, I'm o.k. for now.
    Even though I feel like I am dying, I deeply and completely accept myself.
  8. Percy's Mom

Percy's Mom New Member

Yes. Just tap. Don't worry about getting it right. At times I feel that tapping is just another nervous tic but it is one that has a positive cumilative effect - however small or large.

Just tap and believe it will work even if you don't know how.

Pay attention to this - the fear of the anxiety is actually a separate fear from the anxiety. Tap on that fear of the panic attack. Does that make sense?

There is panic/anxiety and there is fear of panic/anxiety. That fear actually makes the other worse.

Two years ago I was taking anti-anxiety medication several times a day. I haven't had one in over a year. I am getting better and better. EFT has really made a difference for me and it can make a real difference for you.
  9. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

You all know the quote, "The only thing we have to fear id fear itself." That should be the slogan for panic attacks! I fear the attacks almost constantly now. I do not feel safe- that's it. I feel alone and scared, and I have felt like this all of my life. I just bottled it up for so long. Then I married someone who is never around- and it's not like I can pick up the phone and chat with him if I wanted to.:lol: Not really laughing....that's my "I'm sad about this so I'll make jokes" personality. You know how addicts have a bottom- I think I've hit mine. I reached out today because I have reached the end of what I will be able to tolerate.
    I was chatting with someone recently and we talked about how chaotic my childhood was. But from all appearances it was as normal as could be. But as i moved out and into my own life I created as much chaos as I could- like I was looking for my "normal". When I was in college a friend told me she thought I liked problems- that was a hint that I was creating issues because I didn't know how to live without them. (Bear with my thought process.) So, once I got married and had what I always wanted, the panic attacks started. the we moved to Hawaii, my dream place, and I was alone and had the first real attack. On top of that, I developed OCD symptoms. (Ever take your iron to work with you so you wouldn;t worry that you had left it plugged in?) Then I got pregnant with Ava after several miscarriages and I really got worried (too much good stuff happening) and my OCD worsened as well. Things got better for awhile- I was now on meds and doing well. Then I got pg with Stephanie and dh was in Iraq and I couldn't take the meds- major backsliding. I was panicking non stop for months. Then I went back on the meds after I had her and things were okay. But they have been pretty bad lately and the meds may not be working as well as they used to......so this is an alternative I have never tried but I have to do something or live like this- and I can't anymore.
    The scared part of me says, "If you feel better something bad will happen to you." No wonder I used to drink so much. I was always told, "You are your own worst enemy."
    Okay, enough of me, me , me...thanks for letting me get this out. I really do appreciate this forum!
  10. Rhea

Rhea Tickled by the view

So, I wanna know, have you tapped yet? :)

I don't think I could tap during a panic attack. I can't handle being touched during them, and I have to get up and move and prove to myself I'm breathing. I'm suggesting you start now, tonight, and try some tapping, instead of waiting until you are in the middle of one.

If you can tap during one that's great.

You might want to tap of some of what you wrote.

ET I've hit bottom
    ET I've reached the end of what I can tolerate
    ET I think if I feel better something bad will happen

Hey, don't worry about me, me, me. :heart smirk: We all get to do me, me, me whenever we want to. :big hug:

Rhea
  11. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Maura. I want to mention another possible piece that you may already know. Everything you put in your body -- food, drinks, what you breathe, the environment you are in -- is essential to good health. Many of the "foods" we consume today do now nourish the body and the brain. In fact, many are outright dangerous and disturb brain chemistry. A particularily disruptive group is known as excitotoxins (EXCITOTOXINS: The Taste That Kills and http://www.panicattack.net/treat.htm). This group includes aspartame, the sweetner in almost all diet products, which will irritate the PONS, a part of the Brainstem that contain an "Alarm System" that allows us to respond appropriately in a FIGHT-OR-FLIGHT situation. Aspartame can trigger unexpected PANIC ATTACKS. MSG, a chemical added to foods under various names, MSG - Other Names for Monosodium Glutamate, is equally harmful.

I haven't read your posts in other forums and don't know if you already know this, but it is something to consider.
  12. Morgansma

Morgansma Active Member

nt
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  13. Percy's Mom

Percy's Mom New Member

Maura - if ever there were a time to be me, me, me, then this is it. Keep posting, you have found a compassionate group who will hold your hands as you move forward out of this. I encourage you to to believe that you can and will get out of the place you are in.

You can hold that belief in the midst of your anxiety.
  14. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

Maura, so glad you posted.

PLEASE TRY THIS:
    Go get a ball that will fit in your hands...tennis ball, juggling ball, bean bag bean bag is my favorite)
    and toss it back and forth....just like in this video. This ia a 5 minute video
    (i think)
    When you are feeling anxious...

Anxiety, Panic Attacks - NLP, Hypnosis, Hypnotherapy, Counselling in Chichester, West Sussex, UK

You can do this. Just tossing a ball back and forth. We will get to the EFT when you are ready.
    Love you, sweetie.
  15. Deborah

Deborah New Member

Hi Maura,

What an incredible step to have posted and asked for help and I love seeing all the wonderful support that's been offered.

I'm reading though posts in order of date so don't know if you've posted again .... I highly suggest you tap when you aren't having a panic attack and tap on very outlying issues ..... if you imagine a huge ball of string that's all of your history and past and triggers and fears -- it's all knotted up and balled up and keeping it balled up is keeping you safe .... you don't want to start unraveling the ball too soon -- we just want to acknowledge and respect the ball ...

So I'd recommend some really gentle tapping to start:

Even though I have this ball of fears and panic, I love and accept myself and am willing right now to know this ball is trying to keep me safe.

Even though this ball feels overwhelming and I don't know what to with it, I give myself credit for asking for help.

Even though I don't know where to start and I don't want to unravel this ball too quickly because it overwhelm me, I am open to the idea of knowing I've done the best I can.

Even though I want things to be different, and they aren't, I am open to the idea of accepting where I am AND the desire to be different.

Hugs and love to you,
    Deborah