I taught my dogs how to play baseball. no really!

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by Katie, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

It was going to be a LONG summer if I didn't get some harmony working between my athletic children and over-achieving dogs.

A few weeks ago, dh and I went to a free clinic on horsemanship at the feed store. I know we don't have a horse but it was free and we needed a date. It was given by John Lyons, if that matters. Amazing speaker, horseman and well darnit, if he can make a horse want to sit on a bean bag, then I can teach these dogs to play ball.

so I did! :woohoo:

If I'm being honest, I had very little to do except teach my children how to react to the dogs.

Lillie, my older girl, that can run circles around the best retriever, played catcher.

Tug, my just 2 year old, ball hogging prima donna, played left field, center field, right field and short stop. lmbo.

I pitched, Dane was batting, Gusty and Forrest played the field and directed Tug.

Lillie would lay between batter (Dane) and pitch (me), then field every foul and strike and return the ball to me. Tug, would sit at Forrest's side until the distinctive crack of a line-drive and he was off like a greyhound.

It was great. There was mayhem in the first handful of pitches while I sorted out skills. But there was really very little effort and just a tiny bit of patience required. The dogs figured out how to let the ball bounce to prevent their own injury. When we were done, tongues were dragging, ears alert, happy tails and slobbery balls.The kids were rolling. It was SO much fun.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  2. deb215

deb215 Active Member

:lol: love it

get it on camera Im sure you could win some sort of talent contest :)
  3. Katie

Wouldn't that be great? I'm not very good with video tho. I get a lot of sky film. lmbo. When the rain clears I'll get dh on board so I can try some camera work.

I was telling my mom about it and she was all, 'I can't believe you didn't call me to come watch. When will you be playing again?' omg. ma! It was 8:30pm and I was covered with dog slobber.
  4. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

That's soooooo cool! :D
  5. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

:hahaha:
  6. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

oh Katie, your dry sense of humor is just hysterical some days!

sounds like a set of skills your kids will remember forevr. What fun!
  7. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

That sounds great! I'd love to see a video too.
  8. dalaimama

dalaimama mama lama

too funny! sounds like a good time was had by all. :)
  9. MMJoiner

MMJoiner New Member

10. Katie

What can I say, I'm a cheap date. lol!

We practiced some more tonight and added in base-running since Dh was available to pitch and keep Lillie on command. She likes him best. We're trying to get Tug to chase the runner while carrying the ball. It's going slower than fielding of course. When they get really good, I'll get some video up. :)
  11. jacNal'smom

jacNal'smom used to be alliesmom

Did you know you can also teach dogs how to read? I found some crazy information last year about how to do that and was going to see if it worked over the summer. But, alas...I ran out of time and it never happened.
  12. mammakat

mammakat harpy

My heeler was priceless during little league days. Played catcher if he hit and fielder if he missed. Love it!
  13. Katie

Isn't it great? Who wants to chase the ball speeding down the driveway? The dog!!! yay!

I'm not teaching lillie to read. She's already too smart.lol.
  14. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

This is like the dog version of Field of Dreams! I love it.
  15. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

We just watched a cute YouTube vid of a standard poodle playing volleyball. :D

I need to give Burke more of a job. So far, he likes playing with the chickens - if by playing you mean cornering one then prancing around with it gently hanging out of his mouth. I go outside and holler NO! and he drops it and looks at me like, "What? We were just playing? I was being very gentle!"