I suck. Will I still suck in the fall or should I try something new?

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by chrissymama, May 25, 2010.

1. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

:lol: I don't really think I suck, but I am having a really hard time doing what I want to be doing with my 2nd grader. Things were going reasonably well for a while, but now with a non-napping, high needs 10 month old as well as a needy 3yo and a whiny 5yo, I just cannot seem to make myself try to do what I want to do.

This year I kind of cobbled together a Waldorf 2nd grade, which is very mama-intensive. I really really am drawn to Waldorf and it seems very good for my kids BUT I am feeling burnt out.

I'm wondering if I should try to find something that he can do more independently next year. If I were to go that route, what would you recommend? Certainly nothing would be completely independent, but I am talking not spending much of the evening before planning and the entire lesson time at his side.

The other thing I am thinking is that if we do stay with Waldorf, I will be buying a curriculum for next year, so perhaps that will help me a good bit. Really though, I think it will still be a lot of work.

Maybe it is just normal at this time of year to be burnt out and looking for a change?

I am still totally in love with homeschooling, and Noah is too. I just want to feel a little more competent at it. :)

Help?
  2. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

You have your hands full!
    I don't know how independent it is realistic for a 2nd grader to be, honestly. I think they still need a lot of direction and hand holding at that age.
    That being said, I don't think that anything before 3rd grade or so is all that earth shatteringly important. :p
    I think I would tend to be more child/interest led at that age. Do a unit on dinosaurs or Egyptians or something else that is really appealing to that age group.
    Try doing fun things that could include all of them. Cooking, art projects, gardening, etc.
    Read out loud to them.
    Next year, when the younger ones are a bit older, it will still be chaotic, but maybe you will find something out that will lead you to where you should go next.
  3. tracey

tracey no worries on my mind

A quick glance A big chance My heart beat like a d
    Are you in love with homeschooling? Or the idea of homeschooling?

I love the idea. I am a better mom because no longer hold onto that.
  4. xt

xt Active Member

Are there any classes/ co-ops in your area? I've found that those fill in the areas I don't cover as well as I'd like. I think 2nd grade is more about learning to love learning than anything specific, so follow what interests you all.
  5. tracey

tracey no worries on my mind

A quick glance A big chance My heart beat like a d
    Not sure I articulated well. Mobile posting.
  6. chrissymama

Is it earth shatteringly important in 3rd grade, because he'll be in 3rd grade next year! :lol:

I really am in love with homeschooling. I know what you're saying, but I don't think it's that I'd be happier with them in school. Really, I do love homeschooling. I just want to find a way to make it work. And, really, it is working, I just want it to be easier. :lol:

Well, we are in a Waldorf co-op that meets weekly, but it is really more about outdoor play, which we've already got covered.

One area I feel really lacking in is music, so maybe I will look into some classes for that for next year.

I guess I'm just wondering if I am still wedded to Waldorf, or it is time to do something a little less mama-intense. I definitely still want to be involved in his learning, hence the homeschooling :) but I don't want to spend every evening planning and the entire lesson time totally involved.
  7. xt

xt Active Member

I certainly wouldn't do anything that required me to bend over backwards planning and executing daily. My kids learn tons doing their own things. I minimize the parts where I (or grandpa) have to work. I don't think any one method is so special that it should trump one's sanity. ;)
  8. chrissymama

That's what I'm thinking. I really do love having them home, and I want to keep loving it, rather than burning myself out.
  9. sweet~potato

sweet~potato Active Member

I have a 17 month old, and i never expected how hard it is to get anything done with him around, lol. i can't imagine getting anything done at all with 3 kids plus the hs'ing one, so good for you for whatever you've gotten done each day.:)

we do mostly interest-led learning here. My ds is really driven and constantly learning stuff on his own, thank goodness. i really don't think I would be able to keep up with a whole curriculum right now! I like to focus on math activites with him and reading aloud. He does a ton of reading on many subjects and writing on his own.
  10. froggygarden

froggygarden journeying

I did the same thing for 2nd grade this year and found that it was really a lot of work for me and want something more laid out. I am going to use Oak Meadow next year and some ideas from Little Garden Flower to enrich it. Oak Meadow still has a Waldorf feel which works really well for us, but it is a lot more structured and less work for me. I think it will be a good compromise.