I need to make a grocery list for 2 weeks on $150. Can you help me?

Discussion in 'Food and Cooking' started by mamajandtheboys, Oct 30, 2009.

1. mamajandtheboys

mamajandtheboys Amity's Focus Member

I have basics -- flour, sugar, butter, rice. I have apples, onions, garlic, potatoes. Spices. Salsa. Etc...

Help me plan for 2 weeks -- I have $150 to spend. TiA!
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. mama2yx

mama2yx In the dark!

I expected to see $80 for two weeks, to me $150 does not have to be too frugal.
    What are your restrictions? Special diets? How many snacks do you serve each day?
    Also, do you have a Aldi's around you? Milk and cereal is cheap there, same with potatos and canned fruits/Veggies, yogurts for snacks, cheese sticks etc, pretty much everything there is so reasonable, you can easily manage two weeks on that much and have some leftover.

Milk for breakfast, water for other meals.

Here are some dinner suggestions for the first week (wanted to see if you have any restrictions before I post more). If you use reg items and not organic, these are pretty cheap meals to make.

Tangy Vegan Crockpot Corn Chowder - All Recipes + Cornbread

Mushroom and Potato Chowder - All Recipes

Lentil Soup III - All Recipes

Quick Veggie Soup - All Recipes

Plain Potato Soup - All Recipes (you can add lil things to this soup if you have them handy, like shredded or cubed Ham or cut up hot-dogs)

Potato cakes, served with Applesauce:

German Potato Pancakes - All Recipes

Easy Cheap and Yummy Casserole - All Recipes
  3. Mary - Mary

Mary - Mary Amity's Focus Member

go look at your grocery fliers--some can be found online.
    do you have food restrictions/allergies?
    what do you have in your freezer?
  4. Maiden Comfort

Maiden Comfort boobie juice maker

what stores do you have near you? Check out Southern Savers - they make putting a grocery list together pretty easy :)
  5. marchroses

marchroses Active Member

I would plan around your grocery fliers. Sometimes I hit 3 stores and just get the best loss leaders at each place.
  6. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

My list would look like this

cereal (2 boxes) $4
    soy milk (2) $4
    grits $1
    eggs (2 doz) $2

juice (big juice drinkers here) 4 bottles $8

granola bars (2) $4
    pretzels (2) $4
    peanut butter crackers (2) $4
    popcorn (2) we do microwave, reg is cheaper $4

fruit, do $10 worth of fresh (if cheap enough) or canned
    we like pineapple slices, peaches, pears and man. oranges. We use fruit as snacks or sides with meals depending on what we are eating and what the boys have had to eat during the day.

veggies
    salad $4
    carrots $2
    broccoli (we are big broccoli eaters here, raw or steamed or in stir fried) $4

Lunches leftovers or
    sandwiches
    bread $4
    pb and J $4
    pretzels $4

Dinners

spaghetti with marinara and garlic bread and salad (from veggies) $4 (add $2 if you need to buy salad dressing), we use the canned Hunts sauce and really like it

breakfast tacos for dinner (tortillas, eggs, potato, cheese and maybe bacon or sausage whatever is cheapest) with salsa $6

salmon patties (canned salmon, seasoning and crackers or bread crumbs) serve with green beans and another veggie if you have it. $6

black beans and yellow rice (simple canned black beans or dried if you like with a little cajun seasoning and package of yellow rice) $4

If you can find ground beef on sale (I found a 5 lb package for $6 a couple of weeks ago) get it.

Use it to make

chili (canned tomato, package of seasoning if you need it, chili beans and ground beef) $8 and we usually have enough of this for leftovers

sloppy joes (buns, ground beef, canned sloppy joe mix), serve with fries you make from potatoes $5

If you find chicken on sale (whole chicken) bake chicken with some seasoning, then after that meal take all the meat off and use in chicken fried rice and use the rest to make chicken stock/soup.

chicken fried rice (chicken, rice, broccoli and carrots with seasonings) $5 side of man. oranges

chicken soup with noodles and carrots, onion and garlic serve with bread $5

baked chicken with mac and cheese (we use velvetta because that is what they like) and salad $7

Other easy things that we like include tacos $7

frozen burritos with rice and salsa $4

I am at $123 and would probably need a few more things to make meals for 2 weeks, but I hope this gives you some ideas.

Do you have what you would need to make brownies (easy from scratch) or muffins or cupcakes? If not then I would spend a few dollars on those things (box mixes are around $1 each so you could do a few different ones) and that keeps us from feeling deprived.

I am guessitimating on amounts but they should be close.
  7. bluespruce

bluespruce New Member

Subbing

We do spaghetti once a week because it is cheap. We also use canned Hunts.
    Cheakpea/potato curry is inexpensive and I see you have potatoes
    I always try to do a tofu/some sort of veggie stirfry.
    A big pot of beans/lentils/ or split pea soup could get two meals.
  8. Barb

Barb Moderator Staff Member

thats generally my budget for our family - 3 adults, 2 kids, the baby and lind when she eats with us. We do get wic tho so that takes care of milk, cheese, eggs, pb, carrots, apples, tuna, beans

anyway.
    shop the ads - we got whole chickens for 47c/Lb this week so Tom bought the limit (3) and I went the next day and got 3 more. We ate alot of chicken this week lol.
    Canned veggies work just fine in soups and stews when you're on a budget

Don't buy packaged products unless you're getting them discount or at the dollar store. Otherwise its really cheaper to make stuff yourself. Buy plain brown rice and add bouillion or spices to make rice-a-roni type stuff. Baked potato night, taco night and spaghetti night are standard at our house. breakfast for dinner is generally cheap - eggs/pancakes/hashbrowns and if you have the $ bacon or turkey bacon, sausage if you eat that.

We drink water and milk and sometimes powdered lemonade. bulk oatmeal. make your own pancakes, cake, bread.

Theres a million ways to stretch $150 - coupons, sales, lots of soups, ,stews, casseroles. If you make chicken, the next night you make chicken soup with whats left.
  9. mamajandtheboys

no aldi's here. :(

the kids can't eat wheat, so if we have any pasta or bread, it has to be wheat free. we usually buy some tinkyada rice pasta but it's pricey, so it's more of a luxury item. we don't do boxed cereals except for the occasional rice chex. it really puts a damper on muffins, brownies, etc....when it comes to baking bread and snacks~ specialty flours are pretty high in price.

good suggestions -- love the black bean and rice idea. i haven't made that in months and my family likes it. we do red beans and rice a lot. and baked potato bar. great idea!

freezer is pretty empty. :(
  10. momof2boys1girl

momof2boys1girl Awwwwwwww PICKELS!!!!!!!!

Chili one night
    Chili dogs the next night
    Meatloaf one night
    Meatloaf sandwiches the next night
    Baked potato soup with bread

If you have aldi, it is a great way to stretch the dollar.Just saw you posted right before me. Ok no aldi.

How about a taco night?
  11. mamajandtheboys

my list is looking pretty good. :)
    i haven't actually done dollar amounts yet but will get to that tonight and then shop. i'll post my results. :)

menu:

1. salmon patties, veggie, sweet potato fries

2. taco salads (taco seasoned meat, lettuce, tomato, avocado, cheese, sour cream)

3. chili

4. baked potato night (w/ leftover chili)

5. roasted chicken, fried potatoes/onions, veggie

6. chicken soup (from leftover chicken) and homemade bread

7. breakfast (eggs, bacon, fruit)

8. hamburger steaks, mashed potatoes, peas

9. grilled cheese, tomato soup

10. chicken/rice/broccoli casserole

11. potato soup, bread

12. tuna casserole w/ noodles and peas

13. homemade pizza, salad

14. breakfast repeat

for breakfasts i have oatmeal, homemade granola (will pair w/ yogurt), and scrambled eggs

lunches: apples w/ pb, pb sandwiches, leftovers

snacks: string cheese, popcorn (have a bunch in pantry), rice pudding, monkey munch or the like, pb cookies, fruit, granola bars (from my homemade granola)
  12. mama2yx

mama2yx In the dark!

Looks good!
    I agree with the others, planning meals around the flyers always saves a ton of money. You can see what items from what meals are on sale one week and the second and buy accordingly.
  13. allgirlshome

allgirlshome New Member

I have had to seriously change my way of grocery shopping, so I know it seems impossible at first. I used to feed the 5 of us for about $250 a week. Now, I try not to spend more than $80, because I know I will run out of money if I do. I always pay attention to where the sales are now. Someone always has 2 loaves of bread for $1, and other great deals. I will buy extra loaves and put them in the freezer. I have also thrown my old standards out the window. Though unhealthy, we eat the cheapest margarine instead of butter, (buy that on sale and stick it in the freezer also.) generic spagettios, or a large can from the dollar store. We don't eat as healthy, but we are still alive, and that's what counts at this point. My advice is to just think of how you can spend as little as possible on a meal. I try to keep my meals under $4, and sometimes even under $2, for all 5 of us. I love red beans and rice. It's cheap, but no one else here will eat it. I make just a little, and serve a 39cent box of generic mac and cheese that night. I will give everyone a piece of fruit or a carrot with it. My kids love to eat hard boiled eggs too, and you can sometimes find eggs on sale really cheap. We are going apple picking tomorrow, because they are 29 cents a lb at a local orchard. There are good deals out there, and if you keep your eyes open, you will find some. Good luck. You can do it.
  14. mama2yx

mama2yx In the dark!

I love seeing these posts these days, because I am realizing more and more ppl are starting to be more aware of their spending habits.
    WOW, 250 a week? My month food budget is about $400 when I don't have to save, when I splurge it is more about 550 (that would include wine and beer), but that is very rarely.
    When I do have to save, I can manage on 250 per month. It is possible, we have done it a few times before when we were tight. We don't drink soda or rarely juices (eat fruit instead) and drink mostly filtered water and organic milk instead. The no soda can save a ton alone.
    DH also does not buy anything at work, he packs all his foods. I also pack if I work. There are always left over at the house. When we go to German School on saturday, the kids and I pack and we don't eat out on the way home. Big money saver right there.
    ANother thing is that if you replace one meaty meal with a meatless one, you can also cut down your grocery bill big times. If you spend $8 on a roast or other meat for one meal that would feed 4-5 with some left over, it would cost you $384 a year. That is about how much we spend on Christmas. Put that money you saved by not buying meat for that one meal and save it up and voila. That is how we bought Christmas this year.

I think planning is the key when working on meals. See what is on sale and buy accordingly. We print recipes out and keep the ones we like and when going thru the grocery store ad, we check what we have in the pantry and then pick out what meals to get. Our meal menu is done by sunday and I will check the ads or DH will.
    I also find that eventho we buy some organic items and lately cook mostly with fresh veggies, as long as I buy some of the things in bulk, it is way cheaper. Like Quinoa, if I buy it at the local grocery store, I pay $5.99 for a 1 lbs box. I pay $2.99/lbs at the health food store in bulk for organic quinoa. I add it to a lot of stews and soups as a thickener and added protein.
    These lil savings do add up, but ppl tend to not calculated the yearly savings. If I get that in bulk, I save about 144 dollars a year, because we use almost a lbs each week.
  15. Maiden Comfort

Maiden Comfort boobie juice maker

When I first REALLY started shopping the sales and using coupons, we pretty much just ate whatever it was that was on sale that I had a coupon for ;) Yes, it was old by the end of the week (we'd eat the same thing like 3x). But now I've got a decently stocked pantry, and we eat out of the pantry more than what I buy at the store.

Now, for a family of 9!!, that we eat every meal at home (except dh and I - we eat out 2x a week for 1 meal). I spend @$125 - sometimes much less. I spent $43 at publix this weekend - cart full of groceries (saved $70). Then $25 at WM, $20 on hamburger and chicken breasts at the mexican store, and another $45 at winn-dixie. Included in all that was a bunch of stuff for our mini-halloween party tonight. Probably $40 of it. We do get WIC, so that helps some. I'll have to either buy or make more bread by Tues - didn't buy enough. Hopefully I'll remember to run by the bread store and then I can buy a bunch pretty cheaply.

We could probably eat out of our pantry for 3 weeks at this point (which comes in handy for those really lean weeks!). If I had more room, I'd increase what we keep.
  16. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

Can you guys do oats? Because in a pinch you can make oat flour with a food processor and regular rolled oats. I also found that you can make a somewhat-more-gritty brown rice flour in a blender, and a coffee grinder would probably work, too. It works for muffins.