I need help regarding night wetting in a 3.5 & 5.5 yrs old boys, pull ups don't work

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by eastonbennett, Mar 4, 2005.

1. eastonbennett

eastonbennett Member

ARGH, I am so sick of washing sheets. My boys never have accidents during the day. But they are both heavy wetters at night. What can I do besides pull ups, which are expensive and they leak thru them anyway. I have to wash the sheets, the waterproof pad that I put between the sheets and the comfoters for 2 beds nearly every single day, I have had it, but I am at a loss. It has been determined taht my 5 yr old has enuersis (which basically means he wets the bed, and nothing can really help it) He sleeps so soundly that he does not wake up. We could hire a company to help us, but it would cost $2000 and we don't have $ for that type of expense. So, TIA if you have any ideas.
  2. Charity

Charity Amity's Focus Member

I have a 5.5 yr old night wetter too. Have you tried "goodnights"? I hear they are supposed to be absorbant.
    My dd won't wear goodnights or pullups. She thinks they are diapers, and is embarressed to wear them. I really tried to get her to like them, but alas. So we wash bedding when she wets.

Another thing we do, is to wake her up when we go to bed (she goes to bed around 8:30pm, and we go to bed later) and see if she has to go potty. Usually if she tells me no, she will stay dry the whole night. We used to carry her to the potty, but she's getting heavy now, so we have to wake her up best we can.

Others tell me that limiting her drinks before bedtime will help some too, but I don't feel right doing that, since our kids usually take water cups to bed with them, so we just try and wake her up.

They will outgrow it, it just will take time.
  3. elfmaker

elfmaker mama to boys

i have boys the same age and the older is finally dry at night. though he wore goodnights for a few months. i have some left....

but my 3.5yo is in cloth at night-mostly pockets w/hemp or BKT stuffers.

i have an extra pocket dipe made by cheeybabies that is too big and he has never worn. i'd say fits a 42+lber. it has a hemp liner and snap closure. looking to sell for what i paid/TV $15.

IMHO and personal experience they outgrow it when they're ready.

luna
  4. mamasky

mamasky sleep is overrated

We're dealing with the same thing right now with Skylar who's 3.5yrs. He was dry overnight for the first 6 months that he was underwear but then a rare accident turned into once a week and that turned into twice a week and now he's in diapers overnight every night.
    I've heard people say that going to a chiropractor helped stop bed wetting but I haven't tried that yet.
    much love
    -Lindsey
  5. heythereheather

heythereheather A reading family

no idea how to solve it, but goodnites are quite absorbant. Occasionally Erik wets through a goodnite too, but it's when he pees all at once--it just can't absorb that fast. We try to have him drink most of his fluids earlier in the day.

My sister had enuresis, she took a nasal spray for it (when it was finally diagnosed...she went through years of behavioral interventions, which did nothing but frustrate her. I never heard my mom get impatient, and I have so much respect for her now!) I think she still used it her first year in college, but by her sophomore year she had finally "outgrown" it.
  6. bigmomma

bigmomma New Member

My oldest ds wets the bed as well. Pull ups don't work for him either. Since i would rather use cloth anyway, here's the system that works for us. I use a toddler sized prefold with a biobottoms wrap over it. I thought that he might object to going back to a dipe but he was actually relieved to wake up to dry sheets.

I make sure that I put the wrap on him with a nice tight fit around the waist and point the pp down inside the dipe. Oh yes, it also has to be folded so that there is a lot of fabric right in front. Fit is everything. Pull ups never fit him closely enough, I think. It must be why they always leaked. He is a skinny little guy!

Good luck finding the right system!
  7. freespiritmom

freespiritmom future trophy wife

I don't have any experience with this but I remember years ago I lived by a single father who had this problem with his son. I believe his son was almost 5 and still wetting the bed. He would use something like a goodnights but then added a maxi pad to it for extra absorbency. As thin and absorbent as maxi pads are now maybe this would work and not be uncomfortable.
  8. Erica

Erica Amity's Focus Member

hey there, I just posted this same issue about 2 weeks ago. I followed through on the Huggies Goodnight dipes and no leaks!
    They are hard to find...only certain stores carry them but they are worth it! I hated cleaning sheet everyday.

also wanted to mention that One Step Ahead sells these bedpad-thingys...they cover just the area where the bum is and if there is a leak, you just have to wash the pad. It's waterproof so pee won't go thru to the sheets. HTH
  9. eastonbennett

eastonbennett Member

Erica

also wanted to mention that One Step Ahead sells these bedpad-thingys...they cover just the area where the bum is and if there is a leak, you just have to wash the pad. It's waterproof so pee won't go thru to the sheets. HTH [/B][/QUOTE]

I have these things, or something very similar. But, I put them between the sheet and the matress. My 5 yr old hates the fact that he still wets the bed, poor kid. The person above with the sister who had this (sorry can't remember your name now that I am in the middle of a post LOL), I think we decided we aren't going to let this go longer than 10 years. If he is still doing this when he is 10, then we will have to hire the company to help us. That is the scary thing about the problem. I really don't want him to deal with this when he is in college and he could be unless we help him learn to wake in the night. I almost think we need to ask the Dr for a sleep study. We could literally stand him up and he will fall over, he cannot wake in the night. Anyway thanks for your help so far guys!
  10. oceana

oceana New Member

My mom never washed my sheets just hung them to dry in the day and I had to sleep on them stinky at night. It smelled I stopped.

we have bed wetting in my family, do you? While me and my sister stopped in short order both my brothers had issues well into their teens and early adulthood. We did the stop liquids before bedtime thing and one did have to move on to the nose drops.

When my son is sick, we cover his bed area with all the fleece blankets we own (they do not obsorb). Then we take off the top blanket as its messed up and go to the one underneath. Sheets stay dry.

goodluck
    julie
  11. lavender300

lavender300 New Member

I have the same problem with my 5yo & 3yo boys.I remember my 8yo wet the bed at night til he was 6,I think.
    My boys pee right through Pull-ups so I use Pampers diapers.I have not tried the Good nights.
    I wanted to add that I recently spoke to the Ped about this & she said they typically do not get concerned until the child is 7yo and still bedwetting.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  12. copmom

copmom Active Member

Our family has had very good luck with chiropractic adjustments for bed-wetting. My younger brother and my daughter both stopped wetting through chiropractic care. My chiropractor told us there is a subluxation in the mid/lower back that directly corrolates to bedwetting.
  13. Logan

Logan Guest

My problem is that Walt now weighs 58lbs. I can't find a darn thing to fit him, and the goodnights pullups don't work, he pees right out the side.
  14. mnemonics

mnemonics Hooks n yarn

My 5 y.o still wets too....in fact I think he has had only 1 dry night EVER so far..... We put a regular diaper on him at night (walmart brand currently) and we don't have any leaks. Once in a while the diaper is so saturated that the top of his pants get slightly damp, but the bedding never gets wet .... He is slim so Sz 4 diapers still fits him. Pull ups are not too absorbent so maybe you should try a regular diaper or cloth.
    I used to wet my bed too when I was a kid - my mom used to take me to pee when she came to bed, but I was a bed wetter till around 7 or 8 .... I'm hoping DS outgrows it by then too......

Monica
  15. singlemomto3

singlemomto3 New Member

we have the same problem here.. braiden is 5.. we did diapers for a while.. they never held all the pee.. then we switched to fuzzi bunz which worked ok but sometimes leaked.. now we do the goodnights with a extra doubler or 2 in it.. works well.. and sometimes we can toss the liners and reuse.. since they are spendy.. we have done the nose spray and it works.. amazing.. but he hates it.. i just bought some herbal bedwetting stuff on friday.. so am gonna try that.. it goes under their tongue 3 times a day... ohh i also bought some mother of eden overnight undies.. havn't tried them yet.. but once i do i will let you know..