I need easy sewing project suggestions

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by Tap dancin mama, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Tap dancin mama

Tap dancin mama Amity's Focus Member

I"m doing a girls craft camp this summer for Marlie's friends. I have all the cooking and craft projects done. I just need some ideas for sewing. These girls are ages 7-10. I think Marlie is the only one of the bunch that has sewing experience. I was thinking we'd do rice bags. Any other ideas? We will have 1.5 hours a day for 5 days to sew. So I think they will probably only finish 2 projects.
  2. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

Hrm.

A doll blanket or quilt? You don't even have to sew quilt squares, just the two sides together and you don't even need batting for a doll blanket.

Doll clothes? Some patterns would be really simple.

Helper's apron? It could be used for painting, gardening, helping mom or dad, cooking, etc.

Are we doing this by hand? How much money do you have to play with? I'm going to teach my daughters hand-sewing now that my hand sort-of works. My bad dominent hand can hold something long enough that my other hand can sew and they have plastic canvas, a needle and yarn to practice on, and I got them some quilter's squares once when they were really on sale.
  3. hastings

hastings Amity's Focus Member

pillowcases, pj pants, tote bags, elastic waisted skirt (2 rectangles, a casing and a hem.) I also really like doing "art pillows." I have my little kids draw something (a cat, a bunny whatever) and then enlarge it onto fabric. Cut it out twice, sew, turn, and stuff. Its a nice change from straight lines, and teaches maneuverability on the machine, but isn't actually difficult. When I teach mom's to sew I have them bring a piece of their child's artwork and its a big hit.
  4. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    These are simple, cute, and fun to make. You can also make them from scraps so they don't cost much of anything to create.
  5. Tap dancin mama

Tap dancin mama Amity's Focus Member

linky??

Hastings, how to you put the artwork on the fabric to make the pillows? that would be a fun project.

We are machine sewing and I have a reasonable stash of fabric to work with.
  6. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

I'd go for the simple elastic waist skirt...a line maybe. Pillowcases are fun but a skirt is basically a pillowcase with elastic. And they get to wear a skirt out in public and tell people they made it. No one really sees your pillowcase.
  7. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
  8. hastings

hastings Amity's Focus Member

I normally just redraw it with fabric markers but have copied it, enlarged it, and ironed it on. Usually the markers are easiest. with your group you could just have them draw it to size directly on the fabric
  9. choleblack

choleblack Amity's Focus Member

For machine sewing I'd go with gift bags or some other size of drawstring bag. Girls love bags & they are useful. Plus, it's another item that you can carry around to show off.

Now, for hand sewing I usually teach 3 stitches to beginners along with how to tie a knot. Straight, back & whip. I've only taught other adult reenactor friends so our first project is either an apron (for the ladies) or a market wallet (for the men). But a lot of handsewing is getting used to the tension and how to hold the fabric, so lots of straight lines are helpful.

Chole
  10. Maiden Comfort

Maiden Comfort boobie juice maker

I'd do a pillow case dress/tunic.