i need a new night time diapering solution...

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by Selissa, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Selissa

Selissa Who said I was Girly????

Ds is two and recently he is peeing rivers at night.

HE pees once in the middle of hte night and once in the morning. i change as soon as i notice it (usually withen ten minutes) and still it is jsut too much. he is SOAKED from front to back. and the morning pee is even worse cause he REFUSES to let me hange him till after breakfast.

we have been using a premium cpf with two doublers. his but is so big he has a cowboy swagger but it is still not enough

so i guess iam looking for really absorbant fitteds or hemp prefolds..

what do you use at night for your heavy wetter?

tia
  2. punkin

punkin Amity's Focus Member

Can you use 2 prefolds together? would that be more absorbant than the doublers w/ the prefold? How about Fuzzi Bunz w/ a few joeys stuffed in?
  3. lovingit

lovingit ...NAK'ing at dawn...

Hey Selissa!

Cooper is that way as well...once around after midnight (which I end up changing right away because I am usually up) and then he pees in the morning as soon as he gets up. Some good diapers that have worked for us at nighttime:

Cricketts diapers (comes with a doubler), but I also add a fleece liner to help with wetness. These diapers are made of hemp.

Solid Happy Heinys stuffed with a prefold and a joey bunz.

Wonderoos stuffed with a prefold and a joey bunz.

HTH!
  4. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

Are you pinning or snappi'ing the prefold or just folding it in thirds? What material are the doublers made of? Is the pee leaking out or just soaking the diaper/doublers? What kind of covers are you using?

Not sure what the main problem is - leaking or being really wet. Help clarify and I can give you some ideas.

Cathy
  5. I am watching this thread because we are having the same problem. Right now I have been putting him in a disposible because he was waking up soaked or I would have to change him in the middle of the night because he was soaked through everything.

Hope someone has the answer:)
  6. Selissa

ok one reply at a time

:)

Punkin- Two premium prefolds together is even more huge and unweildy..though rather comical. A premium prefold with an infant doubler is somewhat more absorbant but it is still HUGE and he doesn't sleep well.though he doesn't sleep to well with the two doublers either. sigh lol

We don't use pul at night cause it makes ds's butt explode in rashes. but even if we did i have one fuzzibunz that i use for outings sometimes..and i hate the stuffing and the unstuffing...lol. Lucien hates the feeling of the fleece against his skin cause it makes him sweaty and finally we can't afford fuzzi bunz and joey bunz anyway. though i do have three large Hemparoos that are my favorite doublers ever ever. lol

Cathy- I pin or snappi just depending on my mood and what is closest at hand. To tell you the truth i have no idea what the doublers are i got them when i was preg with ds and knew nothing about cloth diapering. they are not hemp, they are not terry, or sherpa, or flannel...they are maybe cotton knit..though to tell you the i don't know why anyone would make a cotton knit doubler. lol they are soft and smooth, unbleached, and have both pink and blue serging. that is all i can really tell you lol

I use wool soakers and the occasional wool snap wrap when my soakers are being washed (I only have one good soaker, and one emergency soaker so it happens periodically)

no the only time they leak is when i need to relanolize or he fell asleep with an entirely unsatisfactory diaper on and i forgot to change it when i went to bed. but lately (like the last week or two) my soakers have been very very damp when ichange him. Not wet but damp. I'm starting a round of lanolizations today..so that might clear that up but i won't know for a week or so lol :D

The problem is wetness. I don't mind changing him in the middle of the night. we are an ec family so even if he wasn't soaked i change him when he pees. but he is getting just drenched front to back, it's yucky he doesn't like it. I know i wouldn't like it. and i am fighting a rash (fungal) under his penis that i can keep under control but so far have not been able to get rid of. the wetness makes it worse and it makes it hurt.

I am thinking about hemp prefolds right now but i don't know which are the most absorbant or where to get them lol..but i wanted to ask what others are doing before i try anything lol

thanks for all your help ladies
  7. spiritfreedom

spiritfreedom raunchy title instigator

Selissa,
    Here's what I do. I have regular size hemp prefolds and I got the microfiber towels (target, walmart, etc have them in automotive.) I sew the two materials together. Then I trifold the super dipe and stick it in a wool cover. My favorites covers are bumpy, stacinator, and biobottoms.

I have a separate piece of microfleece that go on top of the dipe. Always put on the trifolded diaper with the microfiber layer farthest from their skin. Hemp side out. Works fabulously for my heavy wetter.
  8. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

Hey, the extra information was a big help! T hanks.

First, here is a rather comprehensive article I wrote about leaking diapers that has been published at Diaperpin, Pandora's box Magazine, and a couple of other places. It always helps to walk through every step sometimes: http://store.yahoo.com/baby-belle-bottoms/dibawhydomyd.html

But leaking diapers is not your problem - it's wetness. I would try using fleece - as in either a pocket diaper (happy heinies, fuzzi bunz, etc), a regular diaper lined with fleece, or a fleece liner on top of your diapers. I have one malden mills microfleece liner hanging around I'll send you for free. The fleece will keep your son's bottom and penis much much drier - more comfortable and less likely to get infected.

Are you using an antifungal cream right now? Any over the counter jock itch or athletes foot cream can be used to get rid of that darn infection. You might also consider using some powder to absorb wetness on a round the clock basis for awhile.

Hemp is definitely more absorbent than cotton and also costs 3x more and takes 3x longer to dry. Personally I avoid overly thick hemp anything because it is so dang hard to dry. Making Lucien's diaper really thick at night sounds fine to me - two prefolds with a doubler or two in the middle and a fleece liner on top and a wool cover on the outside should do the trick.

My oldest went through the 'wetter than wet' stage and then just plain old stopped urinating at night around 2 yrs of age - he refuses to potty train but he always wakes up dry. Hopefully Lucien will decide to do both!

hth, Cathy
  9. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

The only thing I could use on my son that worked consistently was a Wool-in-one. I used a Sugarpeas or Bizzy B with their 2 pc. hemp soaker and an additional fleece-topped Joey Bunz. It wasn't overly bulky and worked great. Just to give you an idea, my son would pee out of a disposable - he'd be soaked by morning but the wool combo worked.

Ann
  10. Selissa

the thing with fleece is that Lucien hates it..any thing polyester really but he really doesn't like fleece..and it makes him red..so maybe he is a bit allergic? intolerant anyway.

we have tried jock itch meds for the rash, yeast cream, and the thing that is keeping it under control is tea tree oil with a gentle avacado body butter topper. but it doesn't ever go away. this combo got rid of the spots on his torso but not on his penis.

he also doesn't sleep well with a thick diaper..to that is why iam looking in to hemp. I dont' care how it looks that is not the issue right now..its's that he doesn't sleep well. being a preggo mama with a new baby due very soon...lol i can't have my baby up all night whimpering cause his diaper is so uncomfortable lol

so i guess if that means i have to dry the hemp for two hours that is what i have to do..not so bad really..though a pain to be sure

I am defiantly gonna look into those microfiber towels. and good to know that this is normal. the funny thing si that he still isnt 'a a heavy wetter during the day..but boy at night lol a whole nother ball game
  11. spiritfreedom

spiritfreedom raunchy title instigator

Selissa,
    Grab a couple microfiber towels and just put the two layers (hemp/micro) together without sewing for a test run. Try using suedecloth or maybe velour as a moisture barrier top layer instead of fleece. I remember hearing Viduri is allergic also so it isn't unheard of.