Hummus help??

Discussion in 'Food and Cooking' started by spinknottle, Apr 12, 2010.

1. spinknottle

spinknottle Active Member

I made hummus over the weekend, put in the amount of garlic it called for (2 cloves) and the sesame oil (3 tbs)

It has an overpowering "smokey" flavour..........it's kind of gross and very very strong. Is it the sesame oil that caused this?? Should I lessen the amount.

The only other things I put in were chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, water and cumin.

I really really want to make yummy hummus to go with the yummy pita chips we made!!1

Help???
  2. xyandz

xyandz Active Member

Hummus is usually made with Tahina which is sesame butter, not sesame oil. But yeah, it was probably the sesame oil that made it smokey tasting.
  3. herc

herc Amity's Focus Member

your sesame may also be rancid, but yes, tahini is typically what is used. If it smells a little funky it is rancid though, which can happen pretty fast
  4. houdini

houdini New Member

Tahini instead of sesame oil will help. Heather's comment about rancid oil sounds likely, too, though 3 tbs sesame oil would offer a very strong flavor even if it isn't rancid.
  5. Barb

Barb Moderator Staff Member

just fyi I don't use sesame oil or tahini. I use sesame seed
  6. spinknottle

I don't think the oil is rancid as I just bought it and opened it that day. When I went to the store to pick up the ingredients, I couldn't find Tahini anywhere…..maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?? Anyway, I picked up and already made hummus and saw that they used sesame oil so I thought I'd give it a shot. But wow was it ever strong………. It wasn't what I thought it would be at all.

Barb - when you say you use sesame……do you just take the seeds and throw them in a blender with everything else???

Thanks for the responses!!!! :)
  7. Barb

Barb Moderator Staff Member

yep
  8. spinknottle

I think I'll try that next time!!!! Thanks for the tip :)
  9. ThisMaRoxSox

ThisMaRoxSox New Member

I have never made hummus before. I was not aware that Tahina was what needed to be used. I will keep it in mind when I try making hummus.
  10. ChantingMama

ChantingMama The Divine Miss M

There is a difference, too, in sesame oils. What most people think of when they think of sesame oil is actually toasted sesame oil, which would be smoky flavored, and the stuff they use in Asian cooking. But regular sesame oil is light yellowish, and more like a normal oil, and I'm betting that's what the stuff you bought used.

Either way, I hate tahini, and make my hummus without any sesame anything at all. :lol:
  11. spinknottle

Ya I bought the toasted sesame oil. I wasn't aware that it was used in asian cooking....but I guess it won't go to waste now afterall :lol:

I'm off to look for some new recipes!!!!!!!

Thanks!
  12. jolenegreen

jolenegreen New Member

Fyi...I dont use any sesame when making hummus...I use only chicpeas and olive oil and it comes out so smooth and yummy! Sometimes I add stuff for flavoring but we really dont like the sesame in it. We eat it on veggies! My kiddies love it!
  13. golden

golden Active Member

whoa. yeah. HUGE difference between toasted and not. Like inedible difference at that amt.
  14. bugatti

bugatti New Member

Hummus is a golden chickpea puree flavored with sesame, garlic, and lemon juice, and served as an appetizer, spread, or dip. I also love it on sandwiches or as a side with baba ghanoush (or spelled ganoush) (eggplant hummus). This is my favorite recipe that I modified from the BlendTec Home Recipe Book. Hummus recipes come in many varieties and textures.