HSing in MD...moving from MO...a few questions.

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by TulaneMama, Jan 5, 2010.

1. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

MO law calculates hrs, MD calculates days (as best I can figure)

Do I just convert my hours to days to see where we are at this point? what do you suggest? Can I school year round in MD to get the days?
  2. ~Jenn~

~Jenn~ Guest

Sure, you can school year round to get the required number of days. I'm part of an umbrella group that makes things so much easier if you don't mine paying $150/year. I have to keep a brief record of what we cover over the year and then get another member of the umbrella group to sign off on it... easy, peasy!

here's the one I'm part of: Maryland Services
  3. TulaneMama

where are you in MD Jenn?

Thanks for the info. I was planning on joining an umbrella group but wasn't sure how the move would effect us and or negate what we have doen in MO.
  4. juliebelle

juliebelle taking pictures

when are you moving ashley
  5. ~Jenn~

~Jenn~ Guest

I'm towards the western part of the state, just outside of Hagerstown. I've used TEA for a couple of years now and have been extremely happy with them. Wendy Bush, the administrator, is wonderful.
  6. TulaneMama

oh a mere 13 weeks! :lol:
  7. amyincali

amyincali New Member

I homeschool through Frederick County and I don't have to count days. I think you are just supposed to keep a portfolio. They just switched reviewers this year so I'm not sure if it will be much more of a pain but in past years they have barely looked at the portfolio. 10 minutes once a year was all we saw the guy.

Some counties are better than others. I think Frederick is one of the more lenient ones. If we did have any issues I'd switch to an umbrella but it's free to use the county reviewer.
  8. sveasmommy

sveasmommy Rory and Tait too!

My neighbor is a home schooling consultant. I'd be very glad to put you in touch with her and it sounds like you are getting good info here. My neighbor is a WEALTH of knowledge and info so if you're living close to me, I'm sure she can be of help.
  9. TulaneMama

would love it amber AND i can't wait to meet you!