How to get smell out of dressers and closets?

Discussion in 'Super Crunch' started by Linda, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

In my new home the closets smell perfumy...from detergent and fabric softener etc.
    I also inherited a dresser that smells the same.

How to I get it out of the wood?

Cedar shelf liners, maybe?

Not really sure what to do. MIL says Febreeze...and I did spray 2 drawers but have not noticed a diff and don't want to spray it all over everything if it is not working lol.

I guess I will wipe out the drawers and put them in the sun. Hmm...maybe put the wood closet shelves in the sun too.

I dunno.
    Any ideas most appreciated. Last house it was Body odor embedded into the laminated shelves. I suppose this is better lol.
  2. irinam

irinam Amity's Focus Member

Try (safely!) burning candles in there.

Also put several (per closet) small open containers of baking soda around in as many places as you can. I heard that salt works too but I never tried salt.
  3. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    I have read that charcoal absorbs odors. I think the cedar might just give you cedar smelling flowery perfume closets and drawers since it will just add smell rather than absorb it.
  4. OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink Amity's Focus Member

dishes of vinegar
    brown paper bags crumbled in there
    baking soda
  5. Linda

Thanks, mamas. For sure my next stop is the grocery store to purchase baking soda for the new fridge(stinky new plastic/electonric smells!) and the closets/cabinets.

Will let you know if I am successful. I am sure time will release the smell. But I don't want it on my clothes/on me. :hoo:
  6. IrishAngel

IrishAngel Not broken, just bent Staff Member

And if you stumble upon anything to take a wet dog smell out of silverware let me know! Ours smells horrible for some reason! lol
  7. momof3tots

momof3tots Remember me?

if you cut an onion in half and place in a bowl or on a plate, cut side up, it helps absorb odors.
  8. Natalia

Natalia New Member

I'd spray with vinegar and wipe down then leave charcoal around. It will take a while.

Also, cotton balls soaked in vanilla are supposed to help.
  9. deb215

deb215 Active Member

I would wipe down everything with vinegar.
    a catalytic effusion lamp might work well also.

good luck I hate the smell of most fabric softeners. they give me major headaches :(
  10. honeybee52000

honeybee52000 New Member

I have sucessfully used two smell-removing items: vinegar and BEESWAX candles.

A few small jars (say- baby food size) or cups of vinegar set around for a few hours. I would suggest closing everything up during that time- closets with a jar in them, drawers with a jar in them, and whatever room they are in- close the door. This WILL be smelly during the process but quickly and easily airs out and is worth the temporary smell. Ok, so, after allowing the vinegar to do its job, remove vinegar and discard- then AIR OUT everything thoroughly. (We did this in a vehicle that was previously a smoked-in vehicle.... it not only removed the worn in stench, but also cleaned the glass by itself! All I did was wipe the windows with paper towels and air it out.)

After the vinegar assualt ;) burn some 100% beeswax candles. Do NOT use parafin candles! Beeswax actually absorbs toxins in the air (check out the tea-light or votive cup after it's burnt out- plegh!).

After that, then use baking soda or charcoal sachets scattered about.

Hopefully you will get the same amazing results we have!
  11. honeybee52000

honeybee52000 New Member

P.S. ..... I also use vinegar as the BEST fabric softener (no, there's no smell left over.... and it doesn't stop static)
  12. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Seconding the cups of vinegar. Also, after all of this (I like honeybee52000's comprehensive plan) I would get a sage smudge stick and (not with the kids in the house) smudge the heck out of the entire house. Not just for scents but to clear energy too.

When we moved in here the smells were phenomenal. She had used scented everything, sprayed scents in the air, etc. The wood was unsealed so a lot of it was in the wood. I still have to stain the bathroom because when you steam it up with the shower (we'll overlook for a minute how bad it is to have unsealed wood walls in a bathroom) it still smells like her, LOL.

Wiping down with vinegar, vinegar bowls everywhere, opening up and airing out did a ton. But then smudging it, airing out, and then repeating smudging it, airing out, also helped a lot.
  13. Linda

Thanks everyone! I successfully got a lot of smell out of the shelving I could put out in the SUNSHINE.

But the walls(and of course anything I put into the closer) smell like PERFUME.

I might paint the closets. Sigh. I just don't wanna add that to my list. My hands are dry enough from unpacking. it is definitely mostly on the walls. I don't smell it in the carpet. I can paint the shelving, too I guess.

But today, I will try Vinegar. THANKS. Vinegar is my friend..we have hard water. lol. And look out for charcoal.

And Lauren. I will get a sage smudge stick. I think that is a great idea and it has been rolling around in my subconscious for a while, now.

Deb, I am not chemically sensitive THANK GOODNESS. But I just don't like other people's smells or perfumes sticking to me especially in MY OWN HOME: My nest, my refuge. lol.
    Thankfully it seems the air freshener that she used in the master closet didn't stick like the other closets.
    The worst one is where she had left scented soap. That baffles me.
  14. tikva18

tikva18 busy building blocks

I can't believe no one mentioned this - but get/borrow a good quality air purifier.